AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Emmure - The Respect Issue Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5
Musicianship 5
Lyrics 4.75
Production 8
Creativity 1
Lasting Value 1.5
Reviewer Tilt 2.5
Final Verdict: 40%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.25
Musicianship 3.78
Lyrics 3.47
Production 3.86
Creativity 3.72
Lasting Value 3.42
Reviewer Tilt 2.92
Average: 36%

Emmure - The Respect Issue

Reviewed by: OKComputer1016 (06/14/08)
Emmure - The Respect Issue
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: May 13, 2008

If ever there were an album that could stand alone as the final curtain call for the metalcore genre, it’s Emmure's The Respect Issue. Operating off of a checklist of clichés, Emmure offer up one of the lamest releases of the year, and yes, I know that the year is only half-over, but I don’t think anything in the next six months can shake this disc from 2008’s list of top regrets.

Let’s start with the title, shall we? Big, badass mosh-core stresses two main rules for being in the awesome club with all the other humongous shirtless dudes: firstly, get the fuck up! Punch somebody! Secondly, you’d better respect me because I have a microphone (there’s an angry broad-shouldered feller on the cover of the album to remind you of this point, in case you forget).

Look at tracks like “False Love in Real Life,” which could have been made by any metalcore group in the last few years. You got your single-note guitar pedaling, overdone double-bass, incredibly slow and generic breakdown, and Every Time I Die-light spoken word interlude (you know, the kind where you run out of breath from yelling, so you just speak awkwardly). That’s only one track, and I picked it at random. There are nine other “songs” that completely fill that outline as well.

I don’t even know what to think about the last track, “You’re More Like Friend Without the R” – Panic At The Disco? Marilyn Manson? Which incredibly-awkward song-title-maker inspired this nomenclature? And that’s not even to evaluate the music, which sounds like if Misery Signals just entirely gave up.

It’s unbelievable that this kind of music is still marketable. It’s been recycled over and over again, ever since Killswitch Engage broke it big, and at its worst (like right here), it’s not even successful at cloning the groups that came before, but instead just sounds like a parody.

My advice to Victory Records is that it would probably be more cost effective to have one guy record one guitar-note once, and then duplicate it on record for 45-minutes. Also, see what Fred Durst is doing these days, because he’d be a good cheap source for the awkward rap-rock sputtering and record scratches that made this record the "work of art" that it is. “Chicago’s Finest” indeed.

Recommended if You Likeany album that was released in the last couple of years by anyone

myspace.com/emmure

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30.
08:17 PM on 06/14/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
So what you're saying in your RIYL section is...since I liked Radiohead's In Rainbows, I will like this album?
10:13 PM on 06/14/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
So you give it a 40%, then say that if you liked any albums that were released in the last year you'll like this?

I don't follow
10:58 PM on 06/14/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
What?
06:40 AM on 06/15/08
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
i think what he was trying to say was it is so generic that it sounds like every other record put out there.
08:21 AM on 06/15/08
live.
Feenay! Fee hee hee hee heenay!
User Info.
I can't believe a radiohead fan just reviewed emmure.
01:56 PM on 06/15/08
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Read up on Highbeamreview's review. There's more reasoning behind the judgements. Oh and this band isn't from Chicago... thank god. so "Chicago's Finest" they definitely are not. Not by any means.
http://www.highbeamreview.com/review.php?id=91
06:47 PM on 06/15/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Read up on Highbeamreview's review. There's more reasoning behind the judgements. Oh and this band isn't from Chicago... thank god. so "Chicago's Finest" they definitely are not. Not by any means.
http://www.highbeamreview.com/review.php?id=91

isn't victory based in Chicago? maybes that what they meant.
07:33 PM on 06/15/08
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh that makes A bit of sense... Victory does work partially out of Chicago. Wanna know something funny though? After my review of this CD on HBR, I had to find A new victory contact because the girl wouldn't respond to me. It's like they send you stuff to get reviewed, but don't want honesty? I mean when you release shit, how can you not expect shit reviews? Sinister Sin will be A fun CD to review though... Haha it's ridiculous, I think somebody at victory loves Judas Priest and Wayne's World far too much (You know the hot asian girl that sings in A metal band.) Haha
12:27 AM on 06/16/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Oh that makes A bit of sense... Victory does work partially out of Chicago. Wanna know something funny though? After my review of this CD on HBR, I had to find A new victory contact because the girl wouldn't respond to me. It's like they send you stuff to get reviewed, but don't want honesty? I mean when you release shit, how can you not expect shit reviews? Sinister Sin will be A fun CD to review though... Haha it's ridiculous, I think somebody at victory loves Judas Priest and Wayne's World far too much (You know the hot asian girl that sings in A metal band.) Haha

She probably wasn't ignoring you, just left the label. They have a crazy turnover rate. Who was it?
09:43 AM on 06/16/08
FaceLixeMurder
Grand Theft Auto
User Info.
Not a great cd, and definitely not a great review
12:45 PM on 06/16/08
joeoqt
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
band= awful.

COuldn't have said it better.
09:57 PM on 06/16/08
knowthisx
brujah brujah!
User Info.
I hate this CD and this band.

They're that "band of the moment" in the scene here, I want them to go away.
10:24 PM on 06/19/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
So what you're saying in your RIYL section is...since I liked Radiohead's In Rainbows, I will like this album?

So you give it a 40%, then say that if you liked any albums that were released in the last year you'll like this?

I don't follow
It's a tongue-in-cheek remark about the generic tone of the album.
04:39 PM on 06/24/08
demondays524
welcometonormal.tumblr.co m
User Info.
I do not like this band.
They're just so annoying.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives