AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Needers & Givers - The Other Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Needers & Givers - The Other

Reviewed by: OKComputer1016 (06/14/08)
Needers & Givers - The Other
Record Label: Loose Tooth Records
Release Date: April 15, 2008

I like the Shins just as much as the next guy, but if given the opportunity, would I like to be them? Probably not. Iím sure itís very complicated to assume somebody elseís entire persona (weíve all seen that movie Face/Off). But sometimes, the quickest route to self-expression seems to be, well, being somebody else. Stuck in the mindset that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Needers & Givers do their best to create Chutes Too Narrow, Part 2 with their latest 8-song EP The Other.

Perhaps if the group had emerged with their Shins tribute at another time instead of right while the Shins already rule the indie rock scene, I would have received this disk better. But as it is, itís kind of annoying; each song sounds like youíve already heard it before youíve even finished listening. Even the chord changes that seem like they are supposed to be surprising are pretty predictable.

Still, while this is basically the "Las Vegas Elvis" impersonation of the year record, you canít miss the catchiness and ear-grabbing progressions of tracks like the opener "Digging," the piano part of which could have been lifted from one of Elliot Smithís grander sounding songs. Or how about the uber-Pet Sounds vocals of ďOut of HereĒ that move melodically all over the scale, capping prematurely at 1:45 to prompt (at least for this reviewer) the Ďrepeat trackí function on iTunes?

And while Iím at it, I ought to point out that if I were only reviewing the song ďHoly Rollers,Ē itíd be probably a 90%, because itís during this track that the group explore slightly less familiar, definitely darker influences, like the Moody Blues and King Crimson, and the sound really works for them. An entire EP of this kind of song would be infinitely better than the actual tracklist of The Other.

Even if the character of this group is 100% mimicked from huge pop groups throughout the years, thereís no denying the charm in these songs. My hope is that this group of obviously-talented musicians can evolve into their own comfort zone and spin something a little bit more original, because even Radiohead started off kind of shaky before they blew the world away.

If itís just a catchy classic rock-flavored tune or two that youíre looking for, The Other will not disappoint. Still, Iíve got to say that maybe a better name for this release would be The Other Shins.

Recommended if You LikeThe Shins, Elliot Smith, The Beach Boys

myspace.com/needersandgivers

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
08:57 AM on 06/21/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Good review.
But if it's soo uncreative, and directly ripping off the shins.. how does it have a 5 on creativity?
11:42 AM on 06/27/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
What silly album art.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music