Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 47
12:32 PM on 09/13/13
bennjeff
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know that Riley did not want Thrice to come to an end and he has said numerous times. I have always felt like that it was obvious the band was stopping because Dustin when they announced the hiatus and that Riley was the most vocal about not wanting it to stop. I don't know if it caused a rift between him and Dustin but I always feel like there is some uneasiness with those two. Answers like Dustin's above when he doesn't mention speaking to Ed or Riley make me feel there might be some hard feelings but obviously I don't know the band personally so I shouldn't try to put words in their mouths or thoughts in their heads.
02:26 PM on 09/13/13
atticusfinch
Faith In More Than Steel
User Info.
Great interview, thanks for doing this!
03:46 PM on 09/13/13
rageofquarrel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great interview. I'm a big fan of Dustin and Thrice. It's very unfortunate that he's joined with a guy like Mark Driscoll, Pastor and Co-Founder of Mars Hill, who is clearly a bigot, racist, homophobic, misogynist, and intolerant. It's so sad that Dustin is smart enough (as he acknowledges in this interview) to see 'mistakes' and 'imperfect people' at Mars Hill, but still moved his family to this Mars Hill organization. I have no idea how anything was taken out of context, google or youtube Mars Hill and Driscoll's message, listen to the words that have come from his mouth and make your own mind up, but it's very unfortunate in my opinion. I see nothing wrong with having faith at all, and I think a person like Driscoll goes against everything a person of faith should be.
03:57 PM on 09/13/13
albertad
User Info.
good interview
I like Sir Sly...didn't know his brother was in it.
05:40 PM on 09/13/13
a nice person
Copeland fan level: Lotus bundle
User Info.
Great interview. I'm a big fan of Dustin and Thrice. It's very unfortunate that he's joined with a guy like Mark Driscoll, Pastor and Co-Founder of Mars Hill, who is clearly a bigot, racist, homophobic, misogynist, and intolerant. It's so sad that Dustin is smart enough (as he acknowledges in this interview) to see 'mistakes' and 'imperfect people' at Mars Hill, but still moved his family to this Mars Hill organization. I have no idea how anything was taken out of context, google or youtube Mars Hill and Driscoll's message, listen to the words that have come from his mouth and make your own mind up, but it's very unfortunate in my opinion. I see nothing wrong with having faith at all, and I think a person like Driscoll goes against everything a person of faith should be.

Racist? You have a link?
06:37 PM on 09/13/13
rageofquarrel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Like I said, if you type "Mark Driscoll Racist" into your search engine, you'll be provided with 3 pages (if you're using google) of links with his own comments, accusations, and more about Driscoll and racism. Make your own conclusion, that's very important. Also don't disregard his misogyny and homophobia among his many other shining character traits.
08:06 PM on 09/13/13
JoshuaUnitt
registered coffeeholic
User Info.
I do not completely stand with Mark Driscoll, but he did write an entire article decrying racism. http://pastormark.tv/2012/08/08/why-...innocent-sikhs
09:17 PM on 09/13/13
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
To play Devils advocate, I'm sure it wouldn't be wise for Dustin, who recently became a pastor at Mars Hill, to come out and be like "Driscoll? That guy is a moron!" I hope that's at least part of what he meant with the imperfect people thing.
11:17 PM on 09/13/13
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.

Highly unlikely that the rapper Lecrae would have any involvement with Driscoll if he were a racist. From what I've seen in regard to the accusations of him being a racist, it revolves around a Tweet back around President Obama's inauguration, where Driscoll basically questioned the genuineness of the president's personal faith. I remember reading the tweet and it never occurred to me that there was even a trace of ethnic prejudice.

An excellent article was written in response to the whole situation here:
http://theaquilareport.com/is-mark-driscoll-racist/
11:52 PM on 09/13/13
theherox
Hi, I'm Alexander #2
User Info.
I just read everything I could have ever wanted to read.
07:37 AM on 09/14/13
ValleyForge
User Info.
To play Devils advocate, I'm sure it wouldn't be wise for Dustin, who recently became a pastor at Mars Hill, to come out and be like "Driscoll? That guy is a moron!" I hope that's at least part of what he meant with the imperfect people thing.

If Dustin thought Driscoll was a moron he wouldn't be at Mars Hill. Sorry to let you down, but Dustin obviously agrees with Mars Hill's beliefs and thinks highly of Driscoll. You either have to admit that Dustin has beliefs you don't agree with or admit that maybe your thoughts on his church aren't necessarily correct. You can't have it both ways.
09:35 AM on 09/14/13
Flags of Dawn
User Info.
If Dustin thought Driscoll was a moron he wouldn't be at Mars Hill. Sorry to let you down, but Dustin obviously agrees with Mars Hill's beliefs and thinks highly of Driscoll. You either have to admit that Dustin has beliefs you don't agree with or admit that maybe your thoughts on his church aren't necessarily correct. You can't have it both ways.
I've done plenty of research on the church, and been a huge fan of Thrice for a really long time, but i guess Im stupid for thinking there could be gray areas there as Dustin said in the interview. But thanks for telling me what I need to believe, you sound like what you think you're preaching against.
10:53 AM on 09/14/13
MikeyAndTheCity
User Info.
I'd like to think that as well. He doesn't seem like the type to be a hateful prick. Actually, are there videos of Dustin as a pastor? I'd like to listen to some of his lectures on faith.
11:03 AM on 09/14/13
rageofquarrel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Everyone should research and make up their own mind on Driscoll and Mars Hill. The Problem with Dustin just being at Mars Hill and not supporting Driscoll is that Driscoll is the top guy there. He's a co-founder, he's the pastor, he's the figurehead. It's his church.

So his iffy comment on Obama which some people construed as Racist as many, many Right Wing political journalists/commentators made similar comments centering around the fact that Obama's name is "Hussein", can be seen as racist or not racist. That's your choice. Many see it as racist, many don't. However, is there any dispute to homophobia? Any dispute to misogyny? If I take "racist" out of my description of him, does that make it ok? Can you hate gays and think Women are just there to be 'sexually available' to men and that's cool as long as you're not racist?
11:14 AM on 09/14/13
Flags of Dawn
User Info.
Dustin has clout as a caring, smart and kind person, so until he comes out and speaks directly against gays or other races, or women, Ill take him at his word rather than Driscoll's, who seems to be a bit more abrasive in his messages and beliefs. I do agree that the Mars Hill involvement looks bad on the surface, but I don't understand why people have to be so "us vs. them" about everything. Even before MH, he's done more for worthy charities and human causes than most of us can say, so it's not like he's some monster detriment to society. People need to take a step back.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos