Username
Password
Money News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Money
Inside AP.net

Buy Concert Merch On Your Phone

Posted by: Jack Appleby (09/13/13)
Here's something pretty cool: Sidestep, an app that lets you buy concert merch from your phone so it's ready for you at the door on your way out, or shipped directly to you. The beta will be available later this month, though will be used at select dates on the Fall Out Boy / Panic! At The Disco tour, for iOS and Android. Read a statement about the app in the replies. Is this something you'd use?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
09:33 AM on 09/13/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
StatementIn the last few years, we have seen technology change the way we listen to, consume, and explore music.

At an astonishing pace, music technology has disrupted many aspects of the business: streaming, concert ticketing, inventory management, crowd funding, fan communities, and countless other tools and services that benefit both the fan and artist. And it isn’t slowing down any time soon.

But what about concert merchandise? Merch tables remain obscured by the dim lighting of concert venues; the lines remain notoriously long. Has this experience changed at the same pace as others across the industry? Couldn't it be much more efficient than standing in line for a t-shirt -- and much more rewarding?

We think so. That's why we're beyond thrilled to introduce what we believe is the next step in concert merchandising: Sidestep App.

With Sidestep, fans can browse and buy concert merchandise -- all from their phone. Fans will now have the option to buy stuff before, during, and after the show, and not only pickup right then and there but also have the goods shipped home to their doorsteps. Best part? No lines.

Our goal is to vastly improve the merchandising experience for the fan and to cover any 'would be' sales for the artist.

It's time we brought better technology to the tables.
09:35 AM on 09/13/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
StatementIn the last few years, we have seen technology change the way we listen to, consume, and explore music.

At an astonishing pace, music technology has disrupted many aspects of the business: streaming, concert ticketing, inventory management, crowd funding, fan communities, and countless other tools and services that benefit both the fan and artist. And it isn’t slowing down any time soon.

But what about concert merchandise? Merch tables remain obscured by the dim lighting of concert venues; the lines remain notoriously long. Has this experience changed at the same pace as others across the industry? Couldn't it be much more efficient than standing in line for a t-shirt -- and much more rewarding?

We think so. That's why we're beyond thrilled to introduce what we believe is the next step in concert merchandising: Sidestep App.

With Sidestep, fans can browse and buy concert merchandise -- all from their phone. Fans will now have the option to buy stuff before, during, and after the show, and not only pickup right then and there but also have the goods shipped home to their doorsteps. Best part? No lines.

Our goal is to vastly improve the merchandising experience for the fan and to cover any 'would be' sales for the artist.

It's time we brought better technology to the tables.
cool concept if pulled off
09:38 AM on 09/13/13
gonfreaks
User Info.
This sounds awesome.
09:41 AM on 09/13/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
When I go to shows, I want tour merch, whether it's vinyl, shirts, whatever.

I pretty regularly get burned by lack of availability due to rarity of size (XLs aren't as common as you'd think).

If this app let me buy tour-specific merch that was out of stock at the show, I'd be soooo happy.
09:42 AM on 09/13/13
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
When I go to shows, I want tour merch, whether it's vinyl, shirts, whatever.

I pretty regularly get burned by lack of availability due to rarity of size (XLs aren't as common as you'd think).

If this app let me buy tour-specific merch that was out of stock at the show, I'd be soooo happy.

I think its more about reserving it do that you don't have to carry it around during the show while avoiding the fear of it running out.
09:50 AM on 09/13/13
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I guess I'm the only one who thinks its lame.
10:03 AM on 09/13/13
gregplaysdrums
Drummer
User Info.
I like the idea of being able to see what merch items are for sale ahead of time on a tour too. I love that about the Warped Tour forum on here, when everyone submits photos of every band's tent.
10:15 AM on 09/13/13
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
Is walking over to the merch table really that much of a hassle?
10:20 AM on 09/13/13
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
Is walking over to the merch table really that much of a hassle?
No, but this is targeting long lines or something like having to hold the merch during the show or not having cash after some beers, etc.
10:22 AM on 09/13/13
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
No, but this is targeting long lines or something like having to hold the merch during the show or not having cash after some beers, etc.
Maybe I'm old school but I make sure I have enough money for merch/beer/parking before I leave for a show.
10:24 AM on 09/13/13
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Meh. Call me old fashioned, but I sort of enjoy heading to the merch table. Cool experience, especially if band members are there to chat with.
10:57 AM on 09/13/13
NegativPositiv
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If 500+ people use the app at the same show, won't there be a waiting line where you get your merch delivered?
10:59 AM on 09/13/13
iamericjones
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The old fashioned method of buying concert merch, I'm sure will always be there. What we're doing is bringing more technology to the table. It's a very important part of a bands business. It needs more technology to make the process more exciting and efficient.

We want to give the fans an additional experience for getting merchandise (aka making the table more accessible, making sure they get what they want even if they can't make the show, or something sells out, as well as giving fans exclusive merch offered only through the app).

For bands, the goal is to make the table more accessible to fans that can't make the show, avoid the long lines, run out of a size so don't bother buying, run out of cash, etc.

It's all about creating a unique experience and adopting technology to continue to help artists progress and keep fans engaged.
11:38 AM on 09/13/13
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
This will be weird for tour press records if it truly takes off.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests