Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 33
01:51 PM on 09/13/13
infamousgoogler
Son of Milkman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
People, focus on this - Dustin has written better music! If this is the direction, then there is still an anthology of solid tunes in his past! For that, we must rejoice!

But, we can burn this.
01:56 PM on 09/13/13
Steve Alcala
Let's play Smash. 1478-4468-2484
User Info.
It's not even a matter of faith really. Any one can make an "I love Jesus" song or something along those lines. Can just anyone do it in a way that incorporates poetic devices, climactic structures, or the emotional aptitude that "It's Not Enough" did? Nope. I feel that Dustin is more than capable of continually writing worship music like that, something that takes great skill and expresses sincerity, not this cookie cutter rock praise.
03:04 PM on 09/13/13
matthewpeak
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Huge thrice fan saw them in concert maybe 5 or 6 times and I am also a big fan of dustins old solo stuff. No one can objectively listen to this crap and think that he using his artistic talent wisely. Its Not Enough is a great song but even he admitted it was written originally as a Thrice song. Mars Hill is a creepy creepy church (See: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...e_c ase_.html ) and its surprising that someone who comes off as relatively intelligent as Dustin would sign on with them. Its such a shame to see them ruin him like this. And for those who think he is doing God's work you should take a re-listen to how awfully bland that song is and realize he is doing no one any favors.
03:29 PM on 09/13/13
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Looks like i'll just keep a rip of "It's Not Enough" and forget about the rest of this.
03:31 PM on 09/13/13
Atavistic
User Info.
thanks, but no thanks, creepy church guy
03:31 PM on 09/13/13
xJesusFreakx
we never go out of style
User Info.
I love that this song is as catchy and uplifting as your standard non-ballad worship single, but you can still see Dustin's fingerprints all over it.

The lyrics are actually a pretty natural progression from a few of the songs on Major/Minor; it's just filtered through a more accessible style, which is kind of a necessity for corporate worship settings. As a fan of both worship and Dustin's previous work, it's neat hearing his voice (literally and creatively) in this context.
05:02 PM on 09/13/13
BloodsuckerPtII
MIZ...ZOU!
User Info.
I know what he's trying to do, but I expected so much more.
06:11 PM on 09/13/13
comj2103
User Info.
This man his one of my all-time favorite singer. He sing with so much emotion. Don't be obsessed by the lyrics and appreciate his talent
07:05 PM on 09/13/13
atthegates
User Info.
I feel like this whole situation is the premise to a cheesy movie. Awesome creatively talented underground artist guy writes great music and has die-hard fans, gets sucked in by evil brainwashing cult to generate bland, generic church pop songs, while all his old friends and fans want the "old Dustin" back. This would be the song playing over the montage of shots of the guy's new solo artist life while his old friends and fans try to sadly move on with their lives.

On another note, "It's Not Enough" is a fantastic song. But of course, that was written originally as a Thrice song.
12:43 AM on 09/14/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
I almost feel like there's no way he even wrote this song. I LOVE the truths within this song

BUT

these are the types of rhyme schemes that make me squirm
01:31 AM on 09/14/13
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
thrice is probably one of my favorite bands of all time and dustin is one of my favorite songwriters.

that's why i won't be listening to any of this praise/worship shit. it's not for me.
08:28 AM on 09/14/13
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
I actually love the way he sings this. Let's be frank, the song is straight up CCM, in melody and lyrics. However, the way Dustin practices restraint in singing and playing, allows for a more genuine, authentic tone. Most modern day worship songs are filled with an excessive amount of instrument arrangements and crescendos and climaxes, that it just feels showy. This I can dig.
02:52 PM on 09/15/13
circasurvivor
User Info.
06:45 PM on 09/15/13
dirty sanchez
WHATEVER ELSE YOU DO STAY TRUE
User Info.
I would have done the same if I were in his shoes.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$
09:34 AM on 09/16/13
lordfrisby
User Info.
I get that he wants to present a "positive" message with his music now, but does it have to be so boring and shitty? jesus buttfucking christ that song was lame.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos