Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Good, Bad, Ugly: Week of Sept. 9-13

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (09/13/13)
Good, Bad, Ugly is a new Friday feature where we highlight the best, worst and strangest news stories from the week prior. Consider it an official kickoff into your weekend, or something. Check out the inaugural column in the replies, where we can discuss the kickoff of fall's stellar release season, Zedd & Hayley, Riot Fest, A Day To Remember, MGMT and more.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
10:17 AM on 09/13/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The GoodIt's probably best to start these things with a good note. This week, we saw the first of several upcoming stellar weeks of new releases. We got awesome new records from Balance and Composure and Moving Mountains, and as we shift into fall, we prepare ourselves for more great new music making 2013 an even stronger year. We'll be leaning into new music from Saves The Day and Butch Walker next week; on the 24th we get albums from Drake, Touché Amoré, Into It. Over It. and Kings of Leon; and September rounds itself out with the second half of Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience.

We also saw two highly notable bands that got their start in our little community receive attention from the EDM scene this week. Paramore will be exposed to legions of new listeners with Hayley Williams' collaboration on Zedd's new album. B.o.B's "Airplanes" it elevated Williams into a more mainstream profile; now that she's essentially a celebrity, her name adds more weight to Zedd's new single and it'll be interesting to see what this single does for Hayley and the band. Meanwhile, Fall Out Boy saw the catchiest song on its new album receive a remix from Krewella. Will "Alone Together" become a mainstay on radio and club playlists? Time will tell, but either way, it's awesome to see these groups receiving recognition from new communities.

The BadSo, MGMT started streaming its new album this week and...it seems as though the resounding opinion around the record is that it's terrible. The band was the subject of an embarrassing tweet via SPIN Magazine (which is now deleted), reading, "Stream @MGMT's pretty shitty self-titled new album now." That's okay, SPIN...sometimes we make mistakes when we tweet. We regret our actions. Still, your opinion was made pretty clear in your review of the "pretty shitty" record: "MGMT's impressive global following should keep them on the festival circuit for awhile, where the uneven acoustics, heat, and distance between stage and audience actually match their blurred music." Fucking, ouch. Oh, and just in case it wasn't clear...this portion of the "bad" section is as much about this "pretty shitty" MGMT album as it is the pretty shitty action of deleting tweets.

More bad things happened this week. Modern Life Is War's drummer, Tyler Oleson, apparently threw up a middle finger to a police officer in an attempt to get her attention. When the officer, so gracious, ignored the bird, Oleson allegedly tried to run the patrol car off the road...a short car chase later, he was arrested. "It was like he wanted our attention," Sgt. Melinda Ruopp said, "so he got it." Is this, like, totally punk rock, or just idiotic? We're going with the latter.

The UglyWhat's happening in the A Day To Remember world? Maybe no one really knows the entire situation inside and out, but the band basically revealed this week in an interview that an ongoing lawsuit with Victory Records is making them self-release the record. They didn't say it in as many words, but that appears to be the situation. If this situation is ugly now –*and believe me, it is – it's only going to get worse in the near future. ADTR promises an Oct. 8 release date, which is less than a month away, and with no new song streaming and no preorders available, it seems as though the only leadup to Oct. 8 will be a webisode series...which, admittedly, is actually pretty funny. Props to A Day To Remember for finally getting this record out there, with an accompanying arena tour to boot – but if we know anything about Victory, this is going to be a disaster in a very short amount of time.

Totally NoteworthySo far, this is a good thing. Depending on how drunk I get at tonight's afterparty, it could turn into an ugly thing. Either way, Riot Fest kicks off TODAY in Chicago. Keep up with our coverage all weekend.
10:29 AM on 09/13/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
would love to hear thoughts from users about whether you'd like to see something like this every friday
10:35 AM on 09/13/13
taborbrown
www.twitter.com/taborbrown
User Info.
would love to hear thoughts from users about whether you'd like to see something like this every friday
I like it. It's a simple and effective way to wrap up the week.
10:36 AM on 09/13/13
alternate1985
User Info.
11:17 AM on 09/13/13
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
for a second there I though Thomas was just talking to himself. then realized it was taborbrown. hehe

I would like to see something like every Friday. Very Cool!!
11:44 AM on 09/13/13
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
This is a great idea, Thomas, and I think you should do it week by week.
12:08 PM on 09/13/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
I say go for it!
12:37 PM on 09/13/13
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
I like the idea of a recap.
01:56 PM on 09/13/13
taborbrown
www.twitter.com/taborbrown
User Info.
for a second there I though Thomas was just talking to himself. then realized it was taborbrown. hehe

I would like to see something like every Friday. Very Cool!!
Ya, I tricked myself as well...
08:51 PM on 09/13/13
Hartriant
retrieving steps until we get there
User Info.
wasn't the fall of troy reunion announced this week? if it was, then it is probably a good news.

nice idea for a thread btw.
09:17 PM on 09/13/13
morgantayler
We are all Tatiana Maslany.
User Info.
You should definitely make this a weekly thing.
02:58 AM on 09/14/13
likedyingy0ung
your new charmer
User Info.
Ya, I tricked myself as well...
This could get really confusing really quick....
06:40 AM on 09/19/13
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
more interesting way to do a weekly round up, love your writing
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music