Password
Moving Mountains News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 92.
10:46 AM on 09/16/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think their Self Titled is a beautiful way to go out. A sad and perfect ending. Will be making the trip from Syracuse to see BK for the show.
It kinda gave that finality that Major/Minor did for THrice.
10:48 AM on 09/16/13
Slow Lights
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Heavy bands are the only bands that are inspired and happy. You heard it here first, folks!

This news is a total bummer.
While I appreciate your snark, I'm fairly certain that you can grasp what I am attempting to say without making me look like an uneducated asshole, rather, just another person is thinks that, for a band that used to be at least somewhat "heavy" (at times) to make an album that recalls almost none of the very essence of what garnered most of their fans (see: the actual music being dynamic, a bit more energetic, and yes, loud) might imply that, their time as a band is coming to a close.

Never said it was bad, just think it's not as inspired as Pnuema, Waves, or the Foreword EP.
10:49 AM on 09/16/13
theskycouldfly
Bluth Family
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
sucks..
the production and takes on their new album are piss poor at best.. songs are great though. you can tell no one wanted to make that album or be in the same room together. ive produced a lot of records in my day, sucks when a band falls apart in the studio..... and now the ap.net insults are gonna be through my way like no tomorrow ha
10:49 AM on 09/16/13
eriatarka24
User Info.
10:52 AM on 09/16/13
Slow Lights
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I back both of these sentences.
Meh. I never said they did, either. I'm saying that I believe the band itself has lost their enthusiasm, as mirrored in the way their music has taken a rather noticeable turn for the softer. I don't see how it's really even up for arguing, considering they've stated they're going on hiatus after 3 shows. Doesn't seem like they're too enthusiastic about their new record.
10:58 AM on 09/16/13
Slow Lights
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
sucks..
the production and takes on their new album are piss poor at best.. songs are great though. you can tell no one wanted to make that album or be in the same room together. ive produced a lot of records in my day, sucks when a band falls apart in the studio..... and now the ap.net insults are gonna be through my way like no tomorrow ha
Don't worry, I completely agree. You can tell they wanted to just release it and have it be over with, the whole thing sounds like everyone did their own shit alone in a room, brought it to the studio, and then recorded it without wondering if the pieces would really come out anything more than passable. For a band that used to write 9 minute songs that varied and peaked and had wonderful interludes, all of this just bums me out. It's not a personal attack on the band or it's members.
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Meh. I never said they did, either. I'm saying that I believe the band itself has lost their enthusiasm, as mirrored in the way their music has taken a rather noticeable turn for the softer. I don't see how it's really even up for arguing, considering they've stated they're going on hiatus after 3 shows. Doesn't seem like they're too enthusiastic about their new record.
I was just agreeing with Jake's assessments - not addressing any other comments.

As far as enthusiasm goes, anything we'd say is speculation. I think this record is far more in line with what Greg wants to do, so I don't think there's a lack of enthusiasm for this type of sound.
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
sucks..
I can understand not liking the songs - but you don't like the production? That I don't understand at all.
10:59 AM on 09/16/13
Sheluligans
Focus on the horizon.
User Info.
While I appreciate your snark, I'm fairly certain that you can grasp what I am attempting to say without making me look like an uneducated asshole, rather, just another person is thinks that, for a band that used to be at least somewhat "heavy" (at times) to make an album that recalls almost none of the very essence of what garnered most of their fans (see: the actual music being dynamic, a bit more energetic, and yes, loud) might imply that, their time as a band is coming to a close.

Never said it was bad, just think it's not as inspired as Pnuema, Waves, or the Foreword EP.

My apologies. I just couldn't help giving you a little shit for that.

What do you mean by less inspired? They obviously drew from different, less heavy inspirations for this new record. That doesn't correlate to the band going on hiatus at all. You might not like the direction they took, but plenty of people do.
10:59 AM on 09/16/13
Gjs
soundcloud.com/airbuster
User Info.
ok, maybe not bored, but just..uninspired? tired? I don't think it's a coincidence that the last album they released is the least enthusiastic. It's like listening to a dying breath.
The new album is waaaaaaay more inspired and creative than Waves.
11:04 AM on 09/16/13
Gjs
soundcloud.com/airbuster
User Info.
It kinda gave that finality that Major/Minor did for THrice.
Same thing with Mineral and EndSerenading. Or Thursday and No Devolucion.
11:07 AM on 09/16/13
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
Don't worry, I completely agree. You can tell they wanted to just release it and have it be over with, the whole thing sounds like everyone did their own shit alone in a room, brought it to the studio, and then recorded it without wondering if the pieces would really come out anything more than passable. For a band that used to write 9 minute songs that varied and peaked and had wonderful interludes, all of this just bums me out. It's not a personal attack on the band or it's members.
11:28 AM on 09/16/13
Gjs
soundcloud.com/airbuster
User Info.
Originally Posted by Some reviewer on Amazon
Moving Mountains returns to the scene with their third LP. Over the years I have listened to Pneuma, Foreword, and Waves many times. From Pneuma to Foreword the sound was similar, but amazing nonetheless. The songs were all generally long in duration and the tone was typically heavy. From Foreword to Waves they made a change. All of the songs on Waves were on average much shorter than the aforementioned releases, and took a step back in terms of how heavy they used to be. I still thoroughly enjoy Waves, and thought it worked well, but definitely missed the long epic songs. With their latest self titled LP, they take MANY steps back in terms of rocking the guitar, to make for a more subdued tone overall. Of the nine songs, only two were actually were more on the heavy side. Burn Pile, and Hudson. I found Burn Pile to be absolutely boring, and Hudson to be okay. They both lacked the epic sound of the bands earlier work. The rest of the seven songs are pretty slow, putting more emphasis on the vocals instead. Of all the songs, I really only enjoyed Eastern Leaves. Even that was mainly due to the awesome, catchy end. The first half of it was pretty slow. I really feel bands feel obligated to drastically change over the course of time and I find that strange. Your early work is what captivated your fans, and then you change to such a tame sounded band? Please return to your roots Moving Mountains. -Loving fan

Yeah, because longer, heavier and more complex songs always means better. Like Dark Angel, Brain Drill, or modern Dream Theater. /s
This sounds like a shitty Metal Archives review, only it's... not for a metal band.
11:34 AM on 09/16/13
thisisalchemy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Welcome to the world of debt.
11:38 AM on 09/16/13
beauvais910
User Info.
You've got to be kidding me..
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music