AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Circa Survive - On Letting Go Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.67
Musicianship 9.58
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.33
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.08
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Circa Survive - On Letting Go

Reviewed by: hockeyguitar99 (06/14/08)
Circa Survive - On Letting Go
Record Label: Equal Vision Records
Release Date: May 29, 2007

Anthony Green is a brave man. In 2004, he decided to leave Saosin even after their stellar debut EP Translating The Name. He thought that it would be better to start from scratch than to keep going on something that was really working well. With that decision, he proved that he knows what the hell he's doing, considering Circa Survive's debut, Juturna, sounded impressive and unique and turned many Saosin fans' heads. After all of this, Circa Survive's sophomore album, On Letting Go is with us. The band have improved in almost every aspect of their musical capabilities and avoided the always-dreaded sophomore slump.

Going into this album, it was hard to know what to expect. The one thing that is immediately noticeable is the improvement in the vocals from Green. His distinctive voice flows well into the songs and is one of Circa Survive's biggest draws. Green displays decent range as he stays around the same notes for the album, but is certainly not monotone. With this, he also provides a very good strain on his vocals during choruses of songs such as "Living Together" and "Travel Hymn."

The musicianship on this album is outstanding. Displaying their math-rock prowess with ease while maintaining accessible melodies is something that isn't normally found anywhere else. The use of reverb and other recording effects on the album are extremely captivating. The drums are also very much akin to math-rock. They stay away from conventional beats (or any sort of beats, for that matter) and demonstrates the talent that drummer Steve Clifford obviously possesses.

The albums low point are the lyrics. They are memorable as separate lines, however when put together, they sound rather incoherent. Lines like, "Desire, I would try it either way / We believe in something invisible" ("The Greatest Lie"), are hard to follow as they expose that the song doesn't have much of a theme at all. Fortunately, Green's voice sounds good enough that it masks some of the lacking lyrics.

As an album, On Letting Go seems to have let Circa Survive come into their own. Everything sounds well-planned and strategically placed. The band stands out in today's music industry, and with their unique singer and intriguing musicianship, they are poised to break out. While it's hard to tell what prolific front man Anthony Green will do next, I hope that Circa survive doesn't get left in the dust.

Recommended if You LikeSaosin, The Sounds of Animals Fighting, progressive rock

myspace.com/circasurvive

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
07:42 AM on 06/24/08
jetblack1231
User Info.
DAMN man. Deja Entendu=99%, In Defense of The Genre=93% but this gets an 85%? Maybe you should switch the scores . I guess thats why we all have different opinions haha....I liked Juturna a little better. Why didnt you mention some of the better songs like "The Only Difference Between Medicine and Poison.." and "In The Morning and Amazing"? those are some of the strongest tracks on the album! See these guys live, and maybe you'll change the score to 100% hahaha
10:14 AM on 06/24/08
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with most of this but I dont think the lyrics lack anything. They are outstanding and beautiful. I agree see them live! They are magic on the stage
02:26 PM on 06/24/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
DAMN man. Deja Entendu=99%, In Defense of The Genre=93% but this gets an 85%? Maybe you should switch the scores . I guess thats why we all have different opinions haha....I liked Juturna a little better. Why didnt you mention some of the better songs like "The Only Difference Between Medicine and Poison.." and "In The Morning and Amazing"? those are some of the strongest tracks on the album! See these guys live, and maybe you'll change the score to 100% hahaha

thinking about it now, the production should have been higher, I'm not really sure why I put it that low, i think i meant to put it higher but mis-clicked or something.
03:05 PM on 06/24/08
jetblack1231
User Info.
thinking about it now, the production should have been higher, I'm not really sure why I put it that low, i think i meant to put it higher but mis-clicked or something.
it's all good. thanks for writing the review anyway. i guess its better than writing nothing!
01:41 PM on 06/28/08
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
I like your reviewing style but I think it's a bit odd that you don't comment on a couple of songs individually?
05:25 PM on 06/28/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I like your reviewing style but I think it's a bit odd that you don't comment on a couple of songs individually?

I've always found that people get bored with track review, if you read my earlier ones they are track by track review.
08:14 PM on 06/28/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.

i'll say that my deja rating was high but I stand by my say anything rating.
09:57 PM on 06/28/08
Genuma
User Info.
Yeah, math rock.
01:42 AM on 06/29/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Teh math rocks
02:07 PM on 06/29/08
Ouch
Petitioning The Empty Sky
User Info.
lol math rock.
03:15 PM on 06/30/08
summer skin
User Info.
I vote that this guy gets fucked in the ass by a street lamp. All in favor?
06:02 PM on 06/30/08
Nevuk
Post-Structural Anarchist
User Info.
I vote that this guy gets fucked in the ass by a street lamp. All in favor?
We could just pick apart his review and point out every single flaw in a humiliating manner. I find such activities fun, on the other hand I think it would be wasted effort in this case.
01:26 PM on 11/09/08
kaafka
http://insipidanimation.cc
User Info.
First I've heard of this band and I genuinely enjoyed it.

Definitely going to try and get more of their material.
07:55 PM on 08/05/09
Dymytry Vance
Fuck Relient K!
User Info.
I think Juturna was just a little bit better. And I know that this has absolutely nothing to do with the music, but I think the cover art on that album kicks ass.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums