AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Brand New News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Watch Brand New's Full Riot Fest Chicago Set

Posted by - 01:22 PM on 09/18/13
You can watch Brand New's full set from this past weekend's Riot Fest in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 76
01:22 PM on 09/18/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
01:33 PM on 09/18/13
brennanisarealboy
User Info.
Dammit why did Jesse have to be hungover for the Grand Rapids show... Sure I got to see them play Deja... but not with as much energy as this....
01:34 PM on 09/18/13
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Considering I skipped BN because of the rain I'm pretty stoked this is online now.
01:59 PM on 09/18/13
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Considering I skipped BN because of the rain I'm pretty stoked this is online now.
My friends that went said the rain really ruined part of the experience. They had fun, but also unfortunately missed this set due to the rain. they were on their way back to the fest to catch them and didn't make it fast enough.
02:00 PM on 09/18/13
brettrsd
User Info.
that's too bad. It wasn't raining at all during their set. Lots of mud though
02:04 PM on 09/18/13
ncarrab
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw Brand New in Cincinnati 2 nights before RiotFest, and I must say, they really look like they seem to be enjoying performing lately as opposed to some of the other times I've seen them. I'm not one of those to say "it looks like Jesse never wants to be there" because I think he's always passionate about performing, but we don't see him smile/jump around too much as I've seen with this video and Friday night. It's refreshing to see.

Also, I'm pretty sure he called Andy Hull "Kevin Devine" following Play Crack the Sky, haha.
02:08 PM on 09/18/13
Anthony Sorendino
You are not your idea.
User Info.
Was hoping for a track-listing with time-codes on YouTube. Success!
02:09 PM on 09/18/13
ChristianLFTW
That's not a nawyf. THAT'S a nawyf.
User Info.
It's not really relevant to the show, and I know this will make me sound like a purist snob. But there are a lot of hands up in the air compared to what you see at shows/videos of shows nowadays instead of screens of recording equipment.

Also, I love that the band played "Vices." It's my ideal song for Brand New to open up with if I ever see them again.
02:15 PM on 09/18/13
brettrsd
User Info.
It's not really relevant to the show, and I know this will make me sound like a purist snob. But there are a lot of hands up in the air compared to what you see at shows/videos of shows nowadays instead of screens of recording equipment.

Also, I love that the band played "Vices." It's my ideal song for Brand New to open up with if I ever see them again.
honestly I noticed the same thing at Riot Fest. Bands like Brand New, and Violent Femmes- barely any smartphones out...and when blink came storming out I could barely see the band with all of the phones taking video. I also thought it was cool that this crowd at Riot Fest appreciated Devil and God and Daisy stuff...I always assume the BN crowd is half of the 'bros' just there to see 70x7, which they played and people loved, but the closer you won't know had people going ape shit, and it was awesome.
02:17 PM on 09/18/13
tub and rug
I found a spark in the normal.
User Info.

Me too. I couldn't wait 3 hours after Bayside.
02:19 PM on 09/18/13
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Thanks youtube commentors!

0:01:04 - Vices 0:03:02 - Sink 0:06:20 - Gasoline 0:09:56 - Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades 0:13:12 - Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't 0:19:13 - Jaws Theme Swimming 0:23:55 - The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows 0:28:16 - Seventy Times 7 0:33:01 - Jesus Christ 0:39:02 - Bought A Bride 0:42:53 - Play Crack The Sky 0:48:18 - Degausser 0:54:20 - You Won't Know
02:19 PM on 09/18/13
ncarrab
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
honestly I noticed the same thing at Riot Fest. Bands like Brand New, and Violent Femmes- barely any smartphones out...and when blink came storming out I could barely see the band with all of the phones taking video. I also thought it was cool that this crowd at Riot Fest appreciated Devil and God and Daisy stuff...I always assume the BN crowd is half of the 'bros' just there to see 70x7, which they played and people loved, but the closer you won't know had people going ape shit, and it was awesome.
Brand New rarely, if ever, plays material from Your Favorite Weapon. I've seen them five times in the past 6 years and they've maybe played 70x7 once, Shower Scene once and No Seatbelt song once. I think most fans going to a Brand New show have come to expect mostly Deja, Devil and Daisy.

They didn't play one song from YFW Friday night in Cincinnati and they played a 20-song set.
02:23 PM on 09/18/13
brettrsd
User Info.
Brand New rarely, if ever, plays material from Your Favorite Weapon. I've seen them five times in the past 6 years and they've maybe played 70x7 once, Shower Scene once and No Seatbelt song once. I think most fans going to a Brand New show have come to expect mostly Deja, Devil and Daisy.

They didn't play one song from YFW Friday night in Cincinnati and they played a 20-song set.
Sure for a Brand New show, but at a festival I assumed otherwise with all the different types of fans. Also I still hear people scream 70x7 crap at each show I go to, so they're still out there haha. Stoked on their set regardless. Also, didn't they play Deja in full the 2 nights previous to Riot Fest?

For anyone not there, and I haven't watched the video yet, while Andy was on stage you could see both Kevin Devine and Chris Conley standing on stage, and it was crazy to see that. They're all friends and it was epic to have them in one place.
02:27 PM on 09/18/13
heavyd
noireallydontcare
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was lucky enough to be there. It wasn't really raining while they played. Awesome set. And he did thank Kevin Devine right after Andy sang with them. It was kind of funny.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos