I'm A Man, Dammit
User Info.
Such a great sounding song.
10:04 AM on 09/25/13
BoXCaRPuNk13
fuckin aye meng
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't think you know what the words "sellout" or "contrived" mean. Or at least I hope you don't because if you do, you're a jackass.
Well, let's see: He sold his name and services to a church, and he now writes run-of-the-mill "praise Jesus" songs. Sellout. Contrived.

Or are you one of those people who thinks just because what he is doing is rooted in religion it can't be a business decision? Jackass.
10:18 AM on 09/25/13
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
Well, let's see: He sold his name and services to a church, and he now writes run-of-the-mill "praise Jesus" songs. Sellout. Contrived.

Or are you one of those people who thinks just because what he is doing is rooted in religion it can't be a business decision? Jackass.
It would be contrived if he hadn't been writing Christian-themed songs with Thrice, but he has. Putting aside however you feel about religion (I have a pretty good idea), you have to see that Dustin is genuine in his faith. He would never use his faith as a tool for only monetary gains. Now, if more money comes along with it (which I'm not sure it will), then fine, but that's not his main goal here. Since these songs are most definitely a product of natural feelings, they are by definition NOT contrived.

Also, good job using the same insult I used on you. Very clever.
10:44 AM on 09/25/13
xJesusFreakx
Rejoice! Rejoice!
User Info.
The comments here are more positive than I thought they'd be.

Anyways, good track. The first song released sounded nothing like contemporary worship, the second sounded like contemporary worship done well, and this falls somewhere in between. I'm liking that mix.
11:10 AM on 09/25/13
lilRIPsta
User Info.
You are a grade A moron.
The HIGHEST of grades
11:31 AM on 09/25/13
reav
honestly, it was nothing.
User Info.
I've been listening to mewithoutYou and enjoying it way too much to bitch about the lyrics here, even as an atheist. Plus, as a non-native speaker of english, all I hear without a lyrics sheet is just gibberish anyway.

If you can't appreciate Dustin's songwriting prowess what the fuck are you doing listening to music in the first place?
11:57 AM on 09/25/13
CT-Tim
I Care
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I'm pretty sure selling your services just makes you employed, not a sell out... and Mars Hill still goes by Mars Hill, not Dustin Kensrue's Church.
02:24 PM on 09/25/13
qwerty22
--
User Info.

Have you ever had a job? You're a sellout.
02:45 PM on 09/25/13
kittypants
lordsaveusfromourscene.co m
User Info.
Unbelievable song. Lyrics are straight from Isaiah in the Bible which is probably why many of you feel offended. That's okay.

Dustin wrote these songs for corporate worship in a church. It's definitely way different than his solo stuff or Thrice. No worries.

He is the same man with the same convictions he's always had.
04:29 PM on 09/25/13
adamKS
User Info.
wow, what an unbelievable song! the 3 songs I've heard thus far are really great and the 30sec clips from each song on amazon sound really promising. .the album sounds very "powerful" and "uplifting". .great qualities as always and something dustin has always conveyed in thrice and his solo stuff. . .hands down my favorite artist EVER
08:31 PM on 09/25/13
Choose Bronze
So Weird
User Info.
Excellent song writer. These songs so far sound so awesome and his voice is so strong. This is some powerful shit. I'm going to try real hard to look past the very open and obvious content(that I personally don't believe) and enjoy this record as a whole. Although at this time it i am unable to say.
08:39 PM on 09/25/13
Choose Bronze
So Weird
User Info.
And I must say, I have only heard 3? Songs off this so far and as of now only 1 has really been over bearing in the God dept. many other tracks to go but if you look at it this way, the Modern Post had even more openly religious lyrics than I have experienced so far on this LP.

In short: give Dustin shit for Christian new wave side project and give this one a chance.
09:02 PM on 09/25/13
recall reality
But existing is basically all I do!
User Info.
Excellent song writer. These songs so far sound so awesome and his voice is so strong. This is some powerful shit. I'm going to try real hard to look past the very open and obvious content(that I personally don't believe) and enjoy this record as a whole. Although at this time it i am unable to say.
It's like Daedalus or The Melting Point of Wax... only now it's modern mythology!

I'm not really feeling the content but Dustin really seems to be and I suppose that's what is important. It certainly has its audience, its just not me.
10:31 PM on 09/25/13
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm so confused how people can question someone's lyrics about religion, but be ok with so many songs about violence, drugs and other things.

Dustin's a Christian and those themes have always existed in Thrice lyrics. He wants to sing more about his religious beliefs now that he's involved in a church he likes. Good for him for doing what makes him happy, whether it was in his band or being with his family or worshipping. I'm glad he didn't want to do it so overtly in Thrice because from everything I've read that definitely wouldn't reflect the beliefs of the band as a whole. Therefore do it solo or with other like minded people as he didn't in The Modern Post. Makes sense to me.

If you don't like it don't listen. You know it's Dustin's religious influenced music so don't act surprised. And really honestly don't be so self righteous to try and tell someone that what they believe in spiritually is wrong.

It's like the moment that people mention any religion, and lack of belief in religions or spirituality every gets all negative. If there's room for songs of sex, drugs and violence, then let a man sing about his religion. There's good and bad in every genre. He writes great music and has an awesome voice. If that's not enough to look past it then at least you tried. Just hard to believe this guy would take less negative feedback if he wrote lyrics like "i want to fuck you like an animal" or "i go 99 problems but the bitch ain't one".

Not looking to debate anyone's religious beliefs or lack of. Just surprised by some of you. Kind of sound like bullies, trying to tell people the way things are. Thought people are supposed to be a little more open minded and respectful of others.
10:41 PM on 09/25/13
Josh20426
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is such a great song. Musically it's really great with fantastic flow and musicianship and Dustin sounds fantastic. Lyrically though it's amazing. So theologically sound, taken directly from Isaiah 52 and 53, showing the beauty of what Jesus did on the cross as the Suffering Servant. I get that a lot of people on here aren't Christians and are turned off to the lyrics, but please don't label this with most CCM songs. Those tend to have very me-centric lyrics, or are just pop songs with Jesus words. This is a beautifully crafted song straight from Scripture that carries a lot of weight. You don't have to agree or like the lyrics, but I hope people will appreciate how much deeper this is then most Christian music.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos