Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
the reactions in this thread are priceless
12:32 PM on 09/30/13
sakattack123
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, album doesn't do it for me, but I think I just don't really like MGMT very much. I didn't get into the last album either. Kids and Time to Pretend will always be jams to me, but I just don't really like their catalog as a whole. Which is totally fine, in my opinion.
03:46 PM on 09/30/13
me7719
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I actually really enjoyed Congratulations almost as much as oracular spectacular but this self titled album I can not get into. Just nothing catches me on it at all.
04:30 PM on 09/30/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Whoa, this is out there. I'm sure someone will enjoy it, but not sure I can get into it.
04:45 PM on 09/30/13
I'mAGetUpKid
...welcome to the new year.
User Info.
Good for them. I think that they really don't give a shit what people outside of their fanbase think. And it's funny, because this website almost revolves around a band who treats their fanbase like garbage (for the most part), yet most continue to say it's silly that MGMT make music for themselves. Just saying. Not intended to bash anyone, as we all have our own opinions but still... Keep an open mind.
07:34 PM on 09/30/13
wall e
@mattobrien37
User Info.
I dont even know if this album can be considered music. Its more just like random noises.
LOL
05:08 PM on 10/01/13
Ye Olde Gangsta
User Info.
when will people realize that this band is not and has never been good
05:09 PM on 10/01/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
when will people realize that this band is not and has never been good
when will people realize that their opinions are not fact
01:25 PM on 10/02/13
rbf737
User Info.
Good for them. I think that they really don't give a shit what people outside of their fanbase think. And it's funny, because this website almost revolves around a band who treats their fanbase like garbage (for the most part), yet most continue to say it's silly that MGMT make music for themselves. Just saying. Not intended to bash anyone, as we all have our own opinions but still... Keep an open mind.
It's an interesting point to make with this particular band, though, because most of their fanbase was based on that first record, and specifically the singles like Kids and Time to Pretend.

With each release they're getting further and further away from that sound that most people liked so it seems to me that at this point they're just making music for themselves and don't give a shit what their fans or anyone thinks, and if a small fraction of that initial fanbase like the crazy out there unconventional stuff then that's gravy.

Fortunately for them (if they even care), festivals will be happy to have them based on those first singles for years to come it seems.
06:39 PM on 10/24/13
thesinkingship
this boat is obviously sinking
User Info.
God, a whole bunch of user ratings giving higher scores to shit records and lower scores to good ones recently.
04:53 PM on 10/31/13
shallows69
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Member rating 15% ????? This is easily their best cd yet. For anyone who thinks kids is a good song... should probably refrain from commenting on this . Great Review though. Agreed with every point. Cool song number 2 is brilliant.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos