AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Jonny Craig - Find What You Love and Let It... Album Cover

Jonny Craig - Find What You Love and Let It...

Reviewed by
Jonny Craig - Find What You Love and Let It Kill You
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: September 24, 2013
Jonny Craig (former singer of Ghost Runner on Third, Emarosa, and Dance Gavin Dance) has had a lot of drama and personal struggles in his life. These experiences are the basis for his new EP Find What You Love and Let It Kill You. Whatever opinions people have about him, the fact has always stayed the same; the man can sing. His debut solo album, A Dream Is a Question You Don't Know How to Answer, proved that he was able to make it as a solo artist, showcasing songs that continued to demonstrate that he was one of the top vocalists in the scene. After a successful, albeit questionably priced, Kickstarter campaign to fund his new EP, I thought we would see the return of a once talented vocalist. Unfortunately, Find What You Love sounds less like a man who has returned for retribution and vindication and more like a man who is unable to find his niche in a genre and fanbase that has forgotten about and left him behind. Find What You Love and Let It Kill You is plain boring and disappointingly does not show how powerful of a vocalist Craig can be.

While A Dream utilized a full band to create catchy grooves and a slightly haunting atmosphere, Find What You Love instead focuses on electronic beats and dark tones to try and create a certain mood. If the goal was to put the listener to sleep, it worked. There is almost no variation between songs, just a nearly constant sound that is plain boring. Not even the vocals are spectacular, with none of the songs showcasing his signature range. The whole thing is so average that at one point, the EP stopped playing and I had wondered if something was wrong with iTunes until I realized that the EP had played through; I didn't notice where any of the songs started or ended.

Much of this album is about his past struggles and how it helped shaped him into the man he is today. This is most prevalent in the third track "(Diamond)". Just as a diamond must undergo a tremendous amount of pressure and stress to become the unique material it is, Jonny sings about how this is who he was meant to be, given a second chance that he can't mess up. As a person who has followed Jonny's exploits since the original Dance record, I was slightly touched by the vulnerability that he brings forth on the EP.

Find What You Love and Let It Kill You is a look into Jonny's emotions and personal feelings about his life experiences. If anything, it is an interesting listen just to get a glimpse into his viewpoint. Unfortunately, the EP is an average affair into the R&B genre, that attempts to focus more on the lyrics and emotional "weight" than the actual music. The lack of a full band hurts the EP, making it far less interesting than his previous solo effort. I still believe in Jonny (whether he still deserves it is besides the point) and his music. It is just a shame that this is what he created as a comeback.

Recommended If You LikeTyler Carter, vulnerable lyrics, Jonny Craig, R&B

This review is a user submitted review from Niko John. You can see all of Niko John's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
06:14 PM on 09/30/13
This Kills
This Will Kill You
User Info.
Really liked your review, i really though we would return with something better than his debut solo, and i like that cd, but this release wasn't quite what i wanted from him. It's a shame because he has such a powerful voice.
06:47 PM on 09/30/13
Bradalee21
Hmm...
User Info.
I love his voice, and love everything he's ever done, but this album is binned after one listen for me. I just don't really like any of it, which is a shame because i was looking forward to more Jonny.
07:31 AM on 10/01/13
This Kills
This Will Kill You
User Info.
I really think he would be great with Emarosa again.
06:11 PM on 10/01/13
Ye Olde Gangsta
User Info.
pretty solid review. not too interested in listening to this though. is he trying to get with a new band at all? or vice versa?
08:14 PM on 10/01/13
Niko John
Space Cowboy
User Info.
pretty solid review. not too interested in listening to this though. is he trying to get with a new band at all? or vice versa?
Not that I know of. From what I know, he is just trying to stick it as a solo artist which, if this EP is any indication, is not a wise choice. He works best with a band backing him up.
12:53 PM on 10/02/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Disagreed. This EP is not amazing but it's a big step in the right direction after several ho hum outings as of late. At first I lamented his choice to foray into R&B but after listening to this several times I think his voice is perfect for it. It's more akin to The Weeknd-esque atmospheric R&B which is a perfect choice IMO. The worst part of this is the lyrical repetition. If he were to record an LP with The Weeknd's Trilogy producer and trim up the lyrics this could be a great project.
07:51 AM on 10/05/13
jrockisthebest
jrock is my nickname
User Info.
Not that I know of. From what I know, he is just trying to stick it as a solo artist which, if this EP is any indication, is not a wise choice. He works best with a band backing him up.
a band like dgd not emrosa
11:23 AM on 10/11/13
wanielledalsh
https://twitter.com/WanielleDalsh
User Info.
I thought this was extremely boring as well. He needs to use his biggest assest: his voice. And he really needs to move on from the 'I still feel her pt. 394298' song titles.
04:44 PM on 10/12/13
bernie325
bernie325
User Info.
Disagreed. This EP is not amazing but it's a big step in the right direction after several ho hum outings as of late. At first I lamented his choice to foray into R&B but after listening to this several times I think his voice is perfect for it. It's more akin to The Weeknd-esque atmospheric R&B which is a perfect choice IMO. The worst part of this is the lyrical repetition. If he were to record an LP with The Weeknd's Trilogy producer and trim up the lyrics this could be a great project.
totally agree on the weekend-ish vibe
11:25 AM on 11/30/13
drewperri
Drew Perri
User Info.
i completely agree with everything written this review

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles