Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 103
12:05 PM on 09/30/13
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
explain to me why you all came in here. so pointless to shit on other people's work. nobody cares if it's "not for you".
i didn't shit on his work, i just said no thanks. if he's allowed to make a blog post directly addressing why people like me should listen why can't i respond?
12:06 PM on 09/30/13
Ghostpsalm
Really Impressive Title
User Info.
Sums it up. People would have responded to this maybe just a little warmer if he wasn't associated with the people he's associated with, regardless of whatever defenses or explanations he has offered.

I definitely do agree with that. I think the specific institution is what has turned people off the most.
12:07 PM on 09/30/13
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
I'll check this out. I'm a switchfoot fan too.

For anyone making bland statements of negativity, I'm sure Dustin has confronted his own fear of being ostracized within this scene. Between Laura Jane Grace, Brand New's lyrics explicitly citing Christianity and people like Max Bemis relating to his own Jewish background, anyone being overly negative, as opposed to simply moving on if it's not your thing, is taking the easy route of bashing anything Christianity related, because frankly no one is allowed to bash on other religions without starting something more serious ('hating' on Islam for example). You'd think this site would be more tolerant. Dustin rules for this alone.
Yeah, when it comes to religion this site has a long way to go to become more tolerant.
12:07 PM on 09/30/13
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fuck Mars Hill, there's a distinction between church and cult. I still don't understand how so many seemingly intelligent people get caught up in these things.
12:08 PM on 09/30/13
oshyjay
User Info.
Super religious people creep me out a bit. I'm all for believing in whatever gods you want to believe in... have at it. I just wish people would realize that is has zero bearing on our reality. They all need to stop treating people differently and killing each other because their beliefs.

/rant
Sweet god complex, dude.
12:08 PM on 09/30/13
llluminate
User Info.
At least he's self-aware about it
12:12 PM on 09/30/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Yeah, when it comes to religion this site has a long way to go to become more tolerant.
Haha.
12:13 PM on 09/30/13
absolution
User Info.
One of my favorite albums of this year was Senses Fail's Renacer which I would think takes a view similarly as strong as Dustin's album. I love it. Its a fantastic album and I think a large part of its greatness is attributable to the honesty in Buddy's lyrics. In my opinion, great art makes you a little less self-conscious/absorbed, even if just a little bit. Buddy and Dustin both strive for that, and though each of us is likely predisposed to favor one school of thought or the other, albums like these are made to be engaged with -- it feels like a waste if either is discarded because of your predilections.

tl;dr: Deadbolt!
12:15 PM on 09/30/13
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
I pre-ordered it because I thought it was a follow-up to Please Come Home. I have a part-time job as a drummer for a church and play worship music every Sunday, however I think it's the least creative most bland music genre out there, mainly because of the lyrics. Modern day worship music has much to learn from some of the hymns of the past. I think Dustin does a slightly better job than most, but it's still bland.
12:17 PM on 09/30/13
absolution
User Info.
I pre-ordered it because I thought it was a follow-up to Please Come Home. I have a part-time job as a drummer for a church and play worship music every Sunday, however I think it's the least creative most bland music genre out there, mainly because of the lyrics. Modern day worship music has much to learn from some of the hymns of the past. I think Dustin does a slightly better job than most, but it's still bland.
thoughts on Ascend the Hill?
12:29 PM on 09/30/13
antiradio
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One of my favorite albums of this year was Senses Fail's Renacer which I would think takes a view similarly as strong as Dustin's album. I love it. Its a fantastic album and I think a large part of its greatness is attributable to the honesty in Buddy's lyrics. In my opinion, great art makes you a little less self-conscious/absorbed, even if just a little bit. Buddy and Dustin both strive for that, and though each of us is likely predisposed to favor one school of thought or the other, albums like these are made to be engaged with -- it feels like a waste if either is discarded because of your predilections.

tl;dr: Deadbolt!

I'm ordering this. to be honest i thought Buddy was the complete opposite of Dustin. i'd like to revisit Renacer
12:32 PM on 09/30/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
i respect his choices too. but no way in hell (sorry dustin) i'm gonna get into this.
yeeeeeeep. i might listen once or twice, but it will take a miracle for me to be really enamored with this.
12:37 PM on 09/30/13
absolution
User Info.
I'm ordering this. to be honest i thought Buddy was the complete opposite of Dustin. i'd like to revisit Renacer
The conclusions might be the "opposite" (though nietzsche would be more "opposite") but both are wrestling with the same themes, I think.
Renacer is such a fantastic album.
12:42 PM on 09/30/13
richrad
The Thoroughbred of Sin
User Info.
Thrice broke up, his solo record(s?) didn't sell very well, Christian music is a big market and he might as well give it a swing. If you didn't see this coming as soon as that song "Image of the Invisible" came out, you haven't been paying attention.

Personally, this kind of thing is always a disappointment to me.
12:51 PM on 09/30/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
If the songs are good I'll get it and over look the preaching like I did with a couple of the better songs on aaron gillespies worship solo album

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos