AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

The Countdown: Top 5 Most Anticipated October...

Posted by: Drew Beringer (09/30/13)
The only thing more exciting than pumpkin spice everything and horror movie events is October's insane slate of upcoming releases. Remember when I thought the month of September was going to be insane? Yeah, just kidding. There are a ton of stellar releases that span all genres in October, which will give music fans plenty of options to sort through for their end of year lists during the scarce months of November and December. So check out my most anticipated albums for the month of October in the replies and let us know what you're really excited for in the spookiest month of 2013.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 57
12:08 PM on 09/30/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Honorable MentionsFirst, let's start with the honorable mentions, Tim Kasher gets weird and really personal again with his second solo effort, Adult Film (October 8th; Saddle Creek), while Mayday Parade unleash some fantastic guitar work on Monster in the Closet (October 8th; Fearless), its best album since A Lesson In Romantics. Max Bemis and Sherri DuPree-Bemis combine musical forces and get cute as Perma on their debut duo-album, Two of a Crime (October 22nd; Equal Vision). Russian Circles gives us our dose of (very) heavy medicine with its colossal Memorial (October 29th; Sargent House) and Hellogoodbye looks to continue the magic from Would It Kill You? with Everything Is Debatable (October 29th; Old Friends). Whew, and those are just honorable mentions!

5) The Swellers - The Light Under Closed Doors (October 29th; No Sleep Records)
NoteFinally, it feels like The Swellers are on a label that truly respects and loves what the Flint, Michigan quartet brings to the punk rock table. The band's fifth full-length release picks up where Running Out Of Places To Go left off and expands on it, as The Light Under Closed Doors is the band's best work to date. From the Pinkerton-esque riffs of "High/Low" to the crunchy fury of "Designated Driver," the band has never sounded more in control and vocalist/guitarist Nick Diener has never sounded so confident. The Swellers are back in a big way this October.

4) AFI - Burials (October 22nd; Republic)
NoteI'm gonna be honest - I haven't been this excited for a new AFI record since 2003's Sing The Sorrow. The three new songs released from the band's upcoming ninth studio album have been some of the best the band has released in a while. "17 Crimes" is infectious and features some of my favorite Davey Havok vocal melodies in a minute, while "The Conductor" has finally successfully melded the band's rock side with Havok and Jade Puget's Blaqk Audio side project. I expect Burials to be one of the most massive rock albums of 2013.

3) Arcade Fire - Reflektor (October 29th; Merge)
NoteAfter the band's shocking win of Album of the Year at the 2011 Grammy's, it's not unusual for fans and critics alike to wonder out loud what the revered Canadian band would do next. Would they go more commercial and build off that Grammy momentum? The band's first single from its fourth studio album, Reflektor, answered that question with a resounding "no." For Reflektor, the band decided to get weird, as the title track shows off. The jazzy seven-minute single features disco breaks, haunting melodies, a booming chorus, and, of course, David Bowie. We got a bigger taste of Arcade Fire's new direction with the band's 22-minute post-SNL concert, a bizarre yet exuberant example of what's to come on what could be 2013's most daring release.

2) Sainthood Reps - Headswell (October 22nd; No Sleep)
NoteThe fall is No Sleep Records time to shine, as its recent and upcoming releases include the fantastic new Balance and Composure record as well as the aforementioned Swellers release. But the best album from No Sleep Records comes in the form of Long Island's Sainthood Reps. The quartet's second full-length, Headswell, is everything you want in a post-hardcore/post-grunge release, as it's easily one of my 10 favorite albums of 2013. "Desert Song" shows off the band's perfect blend of heaviness and melody, while the apocalyptic "Rapture Addict" will go down as one of the best songs of the fall, if not year. Don't sleep on this release - it'll knock you on your ass like it did to me.

1) Kevin Devine - Bubblegum/Bulldozer (October 15th; Devinyl Records)
NoteSo I'm cheating a bit by including two records as my number one most anticipated release in October, but I can't separate the two. While not a double-album release, you can't listen to one without the other, as both releases explore the entire brain of Kevin Devine. First, we have the Jesse Lacey-produced Bubblegum - the most aggressive and intense KevDev release to date. "Fiscal Cliff," "Red Bird," and "She Can See Me" are the some of the loudest and fuzziest moments in the Devine discography. Bulldozer slows it down a notch, but it's still sonically diverse, as it's reminiscent of Brother's Blood. "You Brushed" and "Matter of Time" are classic Kevin Devine without being a redundancy towards past releases. Basically, all you have to know is that Kevin Devine has released arguably his most impressive and challenging records at the same time in his career.
12:29 PM on 09/30/13
mycuban
hermits.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I really can't wait for Trophy Scars new one, it's gonna be a monster.
12:29 PM on 09/30/13
Ryan Dennehy
darkside, arcade fire, four tet, oneohtrix point never, tim hecker, ryan hemsworth
12:54 PM on 09/30/13
Charlesieiy
The night just grew its fangs
User Info.
State Champs, Red City Radio, Pentimento, Swellers, Sainthood Reps, Save Your Breath, A Loss For Words
12:58 PM on 09/30/13
gonfreaks
User Info.
Arcade Fire
The Dismemberment Plan
Pusha T
Kevin Devine
Avett Brothers
01:13 PM on 09/30/13
ddizzle51
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No ADTR?.....
01:15 PM on 09/30/13
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
I'm going to be so broke by the end of fall...
01:21 PM on 09/30/13
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Shad
Arcade Fire
Sky Ferreira
Los Campesinos!
Tancred
01:25 PM on 09/30/13
drewbaldy
phaynes1 sucks
User Info.
Apparently my most anticipated has become a new Fall Out Boy album I just learned about today
01:25 PM on 09/30/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
darkside, arcade fire, four tet, oneohtrix point never, tim hecker, ryan hemsworth
Best list by far itt.
01:26 PM on 09/30/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Thank god.
01:31 PM on 09/30/13
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
capsule
01:37 PM on 09/30/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Wait for Denning's list. Bet ADTR is 1-3 on his top 5.
01:39 PM on 09/30/13
thechrisformat
let's tune out
User Info.
The Head and The Heart
hellogoodbye
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives