Username
Password
Purevolume News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Purevolume
Inside AP.net

PureVolume Presents: Touché Amoré Interview

Posted by: Drew Beringer (09/30/13)
PureVolume recently inteviewed Touché Amoré's Jeremy Bolm about the band's new album, how he deal with critics, and why he's still so passionate about underground music and the culture surrounding it.
It blows my mind that the generation gap isn't even that big, but a kid will come in to buy a Code Orange Kids record and I'll be like, "Oh, Deathwish has reissued the first Cursed record," and they'll have no idea what that is. I won't let them buy the Code Orange Kids record if they don't get the Cursed record first because I think it's important for them to know where the bands they like now come from. The fact that a lot of kids hadn't heard Modern Life Is War blows my mind because if you listen to [2005's] Witness you can totally hear where bands like us, Defeater and La Dispute got such huge inspiration. The excitement of turning kids onto things that they may have missed out on and helping them make those connections is so awesome.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14.
01:31 PM on 09/30/13
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
It's not that surprising: I've listened to more than 300 2013 records this year, and I'm sure you guys could all name your own top 10 of the year and I'd have no idea who some of those artists are (not just not have heard the record, but be completely clueless about the artist at all).

Since it's so easy to make a record (sound good, too), play a show, be a band, tour, etc., (thanks, MP3, for freeing us from the mainstream shackles) it's crazy how many artists there are to keep up with.

I do get what he's saying, especially about MLIW / Defeater / La Dispute / COK / Cursed and the genre similarities, but the truth is that fewer and fewer people are into just certain styles anymore.

A typical music lover in 1990 might have been stuck in one genre, or perhaps a handful of genres that are similar with a few wildcards inherited from their parents. This was because you couldn't afford to be a jack-of-all-trades at $20/disc.

In 2013, you can (and should) listen to everything you can get your hands on. Music is free (or extremely cheap through streaming), so there's no reason not to augment your love of black metal with some jazz. Or check out underground hip-hop one second and then coldwave in another. It's all a wildcard. It's all free and you can download more music in one hour than your parents could have ever purchased in a lifetime.

The best bands that tour with more "best bands" eventually are the ones that rise to the top. La Dispute has toured with similar-minded artists like Thrice, Moving Mountains, Touche Amore, Balance and Composure, Defeater, Pianos Become the Teeth, Title Fight, Code Orange Kids.. and that network just grows and grows. I don't think Cursed has toured with a single one of those bands (not that they're too similar to most of them), but you need tour overlap to reach your audiences in 2013. There's just too much music to sift through without it.

The kid who doesn't know Cursed (but knows Code Orange Kids) may have discovered COK from some other wacky genre stetch (COK tends to get on shows across a wide variety of heavy genres). When I saw Touche Amore at a VFW (rescheduled from some kid's apartment), he made a joke about Jeromes Dream in regards to his microphone not working and no one knew what the hell he was talking about. I'd venture that most of you reading this post will also have no idea (but you do have Google at your disposal, so you can fake it).
01:31 PM on 09/30/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
It's funny thinking of these guys as underground.
01:39 PM on 09/30/13
nungaray
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's not that surprising: I've listened to more than 300 2013 records this year, and I'm sure you guys could all name your own top 10 of the year and I'd have no idea who some of those artists are (not just not have heard the record, but be completely clueless about the artist at all).

Since it's so easy to make a record (sound good, too), play a show, be a band, tour, etc., (thanks, MP3, for freeing us from the mainstream shackles) it's crazy how many artists there are to keep up with.

I do get what he's saying, especially about MLIW / Defeater / La Dispute / COK / Cursed and the genre similarities, but the truth is that fewer and fewer people are into just certain styles anymore.

A typical music lover in 1990 might have been stuck in one genre, or perhaps a handful of genres that are similar with a few wildcards inherited from their parents. This was because you couldn't afford to be a jack-of-all-trades are $20/disc.

In 2013, you can (and should) listen to everything you can get your hands on. Music is free (or extremely cheap through streaming), so there's no reason not to augment your love of black metal with some jazz. Or check out underground hip-hop one second and then coldwave in another. It's all a wildcard. It's all free and you can download more music in one hour than your parents could have ever purchased in a lifetime.

The best bands that tour with more "best bands" eventually are the ones that rise to the top. La Dispute has toured with similar-minded artists like Thrice, Moving Mountains, Touche Amore, Balance and Composure, Defeater, Pianos Become the Teeth, Title Fight, Code Orange Kids.. and that network just grows and grows. I don't think Cursed has toured with a single one of those bands (not that they're too similar to most of them), but you need tour overlap to reach your audiences in 2013. There's just too much music to sift through without it.

The kid who doesn't know Cursed (but knows Code Orange Kids) may have discovered COK from some other wacky genre stetch (COK tends to get on shows across a wide variety of heavy genres). When I saw Touche Amore at a VFW (rescheduled from some kid's apartment), he made a joke about Jeromes Dream in regards to his microphone not working and no one knew what the hell he was talking about. I'd venture that most of you reading this post will also have no idea (but you do have Google at your disposal, so you can fake it).
Word.
03:08 PM on 09/30/13
Chalie22
User Info.
I find myself doing the same thing with kids who go on about La Dispute and never heard a Mewithoutyou record. Good read.
03:23 PM on 09/30/13
hoosierbrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I find myself doing the same thing with kids who go on about La Dispute and never heard a Mewithoutyou record. Good read.

THIS THIS THIS

While I do enjoy some La Dispute, the spoken-word vocal style that they use is far from new. I've always been a huge mewithoutYou fan (actually getting a Torches Together tattoo soon), and I always tell people to listen to them if they bring up La Dispute.
05:11 PM on 09/30/13
posi-wan-kenobi
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
While I can definitely respect this man's lyrics and music, I just feel like he trips over his own feet at being a decent person. I mean, not letting a kid buy a record until he buys another record?? This plus his entire "holier-than-thou" attitude with playing Warped and I can't help but feel genuine about this guy.
05:40 PM on 09/30/13
flask
Registered Member
User Info.
While I can definitely respect this man's lyrics and music, I just feel like he trips over his own feet at being a decent person. I mean, not letting a kid buy a record until he buys another record?? This plus his entire "holier-than-thou" attitude with playing Warped and I can't help but feel genuine about this guy.
I seriously doubt he puts the COK record behind the counter and says NO YOU CAN'T BUY THIS. I'm sure he just does what he can to try to convince kids to check out older records too.
06:22 PM on 09/30/13
the seventeenth
when I think I am, I'm not
User Info.
Amen. We all know he's not "physically denying a person the right to purchase an album before having purchased another", but the idea that he thinks he would (from the way he worded it), or is entitled to telling people what to listen to/spend their money on is pretty ridiculous. His music is fine but the guy's whole persona irritates me to no end...
07:37 PM on 09/30/13
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
that excerpt makes me believe that already know everything he says in this interview from listening to the ap podcast interview with him.
02:37 AM on 10/01/13
tottivillarossi
rockfreaks.net
User Info.
But surely bands like Touche Amore, Defeater and Code Orange Kids act as gateway bands to the older bands, like Modern Life is War and Cursed?
05:14 AM on 10/01/13
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
I've said this to my friends so many times when they used to think LD was the most unique band ever and they would never listen. I just hate people sometimes. I do like LD it just took me awhile to actually get into them after they changed their style more to what it is now and realize it's not exactly the same.
07:54 AM on 10/01/13
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
Amen. We all know he's not "physically denying a person the right to purchase an album before having purchased another", but the idea that he thinks he would (from the way he worded it), or is entitled to telling people what to listen to/spend their money on is pretty ridiculous. His music is fine but the guy's whole persona irritates me to no end...

"I think it's important for them to know where the bands they like now come from."

I wouldn't call that a ridiculous notion at all, especially coming from a person in a band that has drawn from a vast array of hardcore influences over the years. It's just like other people in the thread are talking about with LD and MWY. I think we're all guilty of pushing an older influential band or album on a person that doesn't realize how large of an effect said band or album had on the band they are currently listening to. I can't imagine that he's ever condescending or a dick about it, and the person can always just say "No thanks mate I'm not really interested."

"The excitement of turning kids onto things that they may have missed out on and helping them make those connections is so awesome."

Seems pretty damn genuine to me.
06:57 PM on 10/01/13
katietheskatie
walking on a wire on the ground
User Info.
seriously. the punk/hardcore show on the national radio station down here has been playing this particular la dispute track for a couple of months, and every single time it trolls me thinking it's mewithoutyou.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS