AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 42 posts
03:54 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
Tilian/John, Whats your favorite song to sing off the new record?
We've only done Jesus and robot 4 so far, and acceptance speech once in europe, i wanna do Turn off the lights 2 or carve asap
03:55 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
Jon - Why don't you wear pink or purple?

In addition, are you guys basically done playing songs from DBM II forever?
When I was a freshman at SDSU lots of guys wearing pink polos and shirts that said "real men wear pink", just not very flattering????
04:00 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
Assuming this is the thread, I am kind of wondering about how Jon Mess has different vocals on the albums and EPs he has appeared on. I mean, the vocals on Whatever I Say is Royal Ocean take a completely different turn on Downtown Battle Mountain I, as they turn again on the self titled and again on Downtown Battle Mountain II and once again on Acceptance Speech. So Jon, what makes you decide to switch your styles as you do on all your releases and how did you train yourself to change it up?
Ep I still had tonsils, DBM I got them taken out a month prior they still hadn't healed. Death Star healed a bit more and screamed probably too loud for my own good until I left and got vocal lessons and practiced a bunch. Problems like Acid reflux, sinusitis, and lymes disease had their fair share of consequences, got it fairly under control in the past few years, and it helped me develop better control. Was considered Lyme in remission in 2009.
04:03 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
what's the status on the secret band release?
is carve originally a secret band piece? it's just much heavier than the others.
did jon write most of demo team?
Secret band finishing the writing up after this tour, carve was written for dgd, demo team was written by the band and I wrote my lyrics and Tilian wrote his
04:06 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
What is Demo Team about/ What is the meaning? Also I ask the same about Pounce Bounce because it has been 2 years and I can't find a meaning
Pounce bounce lyrics from Jonny are about Heroin and my lyrics are too long of an explanation to type out in this thread, Ill say what's it like to be a marble, is a polished rolling stone. Demo team the beginning is about jacking off a breakdown, self absorbed sarcastic/satirical shit type generic themes bee bee bloo bloo
04:11 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
#1(For DGD) What are some of your favorite places to play?
#2. (For Jon) Are there any philosophers you really enjoy studying? You seem like a guy that appreciates Nietchze.
#3. (For Will) What artists did you draw inspiration from during your writing process for Acceptance Speech?
#4. (For DGD) If you had to erase any album from your discography what would it be?
PS. Just want you guys to know I have a deeply profound love for the music you all create.
For a bit I was interested in majoring in philosophy, I studied most the western guys but ended up liking the eastern stuff more, its been a while but I remember reading this guy Nagarjuna's argument for simultaneous existence and non existence that fucked my brain up
04:12 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
Jon do your lyrics have any meaning at all?
yes
04:16 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
Jon, are there any kind of techniques you use for your vocals?
I started out thinking that screaming was to yell as loud as you possibly could and then attempt to sound like a crying lawnmower, I have changed that into the technique of yelling really loud but controlling it like a singer would belt out notes, getting singing lessons is really helpful, even if you suck at singing
04:21 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
The robot saga to me is a satire on the singularity. Robot becomes aware, tries to live a human life, takes up things like acting, drinking, sex, drugs. Robot does not die but evolves into a messianic type figure who will unlock the technology to evolve humanity ushering us into a new age of utopian perfection/efficiency etc.
04:24 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
Two questions for anyone that will answer them. 1. How has your lifestyle changed since you've reached such popularity as a band? Do you find yourself losing friends/more loney/isolated being on tour all the time? Do you still hold other jobs or are you full time musicians? and

for Will. 2. How great is the feeling of having a unique custom shop V? Was it like having a baby?
I have less friends and I attempt to survive off selling paintings and the band, occasional graphic design + odd jobs, its difficult to get a job that will let you leave constantly. I just barely made rent last month, but its better than a real job
04:26 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
1) Honey revenge is more about obsession and desire. It shouldn't be taken too literally.
to add to that, I think the song is more about the subject matter in the context of a poppier sounding song, it gives a bizarre vibe.
04:29 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
jon your painting i ordered is still really oil stenchy, any technique to air it out? I mean I have been leaving it outside on my patio for a while now...haha
hmm sorry bout that, yeah it will have to air out naturally :(
04:31 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
That's really sad but also kind of inspiring. Do you think you'll ever do a solo album Jon?
I have a solo album Jonmess.bandcamp.com its $1, also worked on the 2nd one, be aware its not super cereal
04:34 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
This might seem like a strange question, but when I looked up the definition of vertices it can also be the cortex of a skull/brain or something like that, is there any relevance to that in the lyrics "Flood brain tips I'm seeing shapes like trees Turn it on its side and rape the vertices"? I.E. skullfucking
yeah thats pretty accurate, during school I was majoring in Art and I got really involved in 3d computer modeling and got really good at 3d studio max and blender, so it also has that as a double meaning, breaking down and molding something in a digital space. In 3d modeling you often pull and sculpt using the vertices of the geometry. my 3d modeling stuff is viewable if you backtrack through my blog Jondmess.tumblr.com
04:40 PM on 10/06/13
JonDGD
User Info.
To all members,
How has being in DGD changed your life?
My family/parents like to make fun of me and call me mr. screamo. My mom's ex husband was named Jon and my parents named me Jonathan and thought no one would call me Jon, all my family calls me Jonathan and will say JonMess mockingly from time to time. On the bright side I've see lots of countries and places all over the world and had a lot of fun

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos