AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 26 posts.
03:41 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Very nice post Jason should clear everything up for everyone I hope. You've heard the album I take it? What's your opinion on it?

I personally don't think they have done 5 albums but according to the contact it's not very clear on Victorys part and I can see ADTR coming out on top.
I have.

I was very pleasantly surprised (hey, if something can get me to turn off the new A Wilhelm Scream album I've been waiting like 6 years for, that's saying something). I really like the pop-punk parts of it and the melodies they used. There are some massive choruses here. I actually prefer those sections (even the more acousticy songs) to the breakdown/hardcoreish stuff. That's just me though, that's where my tastes lie. I think fans of the band's style are going to love the album ... it could very well go down as their best album, that would not surprise me at all.

"Best of Me" and "Life @ 11" are my early favorites. Only had time to spin it a couple times though, been finishing this article -- and have more coming soon -- so I've been crazy busy today. Hah.
03:44 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
still confusing...
why wasnt the label and band communicating at all? how did "two albums" get lost...both parties should have been aware at which album they were on

and if common courtesy's physical copy gets released in several weeks on a physical "sale" copy...will that count as album number 4?
They were communicating. I asked the band that very question and their words will be far better than my summary -- so that should be coming as early as tomorrow. And, as you can see by reading the contract -- that term is (some may say purposefully) vague as hell.

It won't be physically released via Victory Records.
03:50 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
It's about what is defined as a release. Does a reissue count? Does a reissue from an old label count? Do b-sides count?
Do live albums count, do newly recordings of old albums count, etc.

It's not gonna be a cut and dry case -- poll 100 people and you could probably flip a coin with what each would say given the evidence IMO.
03:51 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
look all i care about is whether or not i get to hear common courtesy tomorrow. if it doesn't come out i'm kicking someone in the dick
It's coming out ... dick kicking prevented.
03:56 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Did anything ever happen with the Warped Tour assault incident with these guys?
From my understanding no one ever pressed charges or anything besides the email sent to Kevin Lyman. After searching the band member's names in virtually every court record database - nothing came up, that's all I know for sure.
04:00 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Interesting. It sounded pretty awful based on that email that was sent to Lyman, so I hadn't really paid much attention to ADTR since then.
I half expected to see something when I started researching all this stuff, but never did. There sure are a lot of Victory Records documents though.
04:05 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
good job Jason - very good write up.

I dig the album as well - it's their best since For Those Who Have Heart. I hated the last record so it's nice to see them bounce back with something strong in this particular genre.

A lot of the titles on this record seem to be shots at Victory as some of the lyrics. You can tell the lawsuit was weighing heavy on the band (not in a negative way though)
I spoke with Jeremy at length about just that ... it really is an album documenting the last 3 years of their lives.
04:06 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Some day I'm gonna go print all those out and read everything ... that day is not today.

That day will not be a victory or a day to remember.

OK, I'm out .. that's what I get for running on coffee today.
04:08 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
will CC be available for streaming on Rdio/Spotify? I would think not but I'm pretty sure I've seen self released stuff on there.
From what I was told, not until November.
04:19 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
can't wait to read this
Just ate a quick lunch, now it's time to do every music blogger's favorite task: transcribe!!

It was great when the call went all cyborg on me - least I don't have to edit this audio though.
04:26 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.

Sorry I'm not linking ap.net's article Jason but I can't use the search function on this site for shit.
I am aware of how badly it sucks. Gonna fix that in the new website. Have quite a few ideas for it.
04:39 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Does anyone now any other record contracts to compare this to? I've heard that victory fucks people with their contracts, and after reading the memo, it didnt seem to bad.
I quoted one part of one in the piece I wrote, where I pulled it directly from another record contract. The band's deal with their previous label is also in the court documents -- and it's more precise and spells it all out. I don't think I posted that, but could if anyone can't find it via Pacer.

Given what I have read of other contracts, and the like, I believe it's purposefully vague in that language, because I've read enough other contracts to know what usually is in them.
04:41 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
This is basically all you need to know:

The band is at fault because they signed with Victory in the first place. This is what the label does and unless you have enough sense to do business with Victory on a one-record per contract(Boy Sets Fire), you're going to get fucked in the ass.

It doesn't matter if you're a decent band(Thursday), a shitty band(A Day to Remember) or a REALLY shitty band (Hawthorne Heights). This is their modus operandi.
Heh. Harsh. ;)

I asked the band this very question. I don't wanna misquote, but I'll include it in my follow up.
05:07 PM on 10/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I've been watching the general thread about it and just got done the podcast with you and Zack. Color me excited.
Me. Too.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News