Username
Password

Comments: Page 10
Displaying posts 135 - 146 of 146
11:08 AM on 10/08/13
ratmachine182
http://www.twitter.com/reiandcoke
User Info.
There are good lawyers and bad lawyers and usually you get what you pay for. The lawyer who wrote (or read over and considered sufficient) this contract was, somewhat at least, inept. When cases are judged comparable scenarios are always looked at, so you would think Victory's lawyer would insist on terminology comparable to that of other contracts.
11:13 AM on 10/08/13
LGFUAD21
User Info.
Like jason I am no expert but it could be a case that adtr were burnt by the "accounting" error and sought legal advice to find a way out.

With said error being "resolved" trust is probably not given the tarred brush victory has.

The conclusion was to find a loophole. This coming in the form of a very poorly written contract.

I'm sure between old record, for those who have heart, homesick and what separates and various special editions packed with demos and live songs adtr are arguing they have fulfilled this.

A sensible record label owner wouldve made the contract water tight so as not to allow such loopholes to be found.
11:19 AM on 10/08/13
LGFUAD21
User Info.
To add to that. This seems a tough one to call.

ADTR are taking what is written (that's how it goes these days) but I don't believe their motives. It's clear they just want shot of victory.

Victory will feel robbed if they lose though and you can sympathize with that. But this is show business not show friendship.

On the other hand. Had the "accoundting" error not been corrected and adtr took legal action for that and won their contract would have probably been voided as well as royalties owed paid up.

That it was corrected before it got to that you could argue that to keep the contract upheld would be a tad harsh.
11:25 AM on 10/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I talked with the band to get some more insight on just what happened, and why ...
But it’s not just that, he uses this contract as leverage. And that’s his whole game, the whole thing is that he makes people sign these “deal memos” and the reason there aren’t any long form contracts is because it’s his way of pretty much being able to say, “I can do whatever I want and it’s encompassed in this legal document” … and you’re scared. And we were scared. For years.
01:08 PM on 10/08/13
surgerone
User Info.
I'm in a weird place with this album. I used to love this band too much - and searched all over town to find And Their Name Was Treason back before FTWHH came out. Then that album was my soundtrack for a long time. Then, practically overnight, I quit enjoying the breakdowns and the mosh calls (or whatever they're called). With that, I quit listening to this band altogether. Even hated on them a number of times. Now here I am, stoked to hear their music and already feeling a connection with an album I haven't heard... ALL because of THAT feeling - everyone is waiting together, there's been so much drama and build-up, and this album actually feels like it means something. Hell, I even preordered it.

(I hope I'm not shaking my head at obnoxious breakdowns in a couple of hours. I probably will be, haha)
I also grew out of this band - especially after What Separates Me from You - but this entire ordeal has completely regained my attention. Listening to the record feels fucking triumphant after knowing the background.
01:53 PM on 10/08/13
ThSceneReleases
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
2/6/13 are the only ones i dig, I'm a pop punk kid, I'm not and never was really into the post hardcore, or hardcore bands and genre, I do wish they would come out with an acoustic cd, he has a good voice.
01:54 PM on 10/08/13
ThSceneReleases
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Anyone get this or listen to this intro yet!

A Day to Remember - The Document Speaks for Itself with Tony Brummel Intro

lulz

Also, if next year Victory gets cash from this digital release.. do you think the band will say don't pay for it anymore, just download it for free, go to leak sites. FUCK Victory.... don't give them your money. (as if Jeremy was saying this, not me)
06:57 AM on 10/09/13
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
Interesting. Not a big ADTR fan but I'm definitely rooting for them. I feel like they have a good argument to back their case.
04:10 PM on 10/09/13
Jack55
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A Day To Remember have made 5 albums under Victory Records, if you check out the link Jeremy gives on his social networks he states that "Old Record" was put out without the band (A Day To Remember) actually finishing it by Victory Records. If you know ADTR discography you'll know it was Old Record, And Their Name Was Treason, For Those Who Have Heart, Homesick and recently What Separates Me From You. Personally that looks like 5 albums to me even if they ( ADTR) weren't personally satisfied with the albums, Victory Records made them put them out. Personally the lawsuit is bullshit and I hope ADTR wins. They were treated like shit from the start and should just be left to finally make and finish music that they are happy with.
05:19 PM on 10/09/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
A Day To Remember have made 5 albums under Victory Records, if you check out the link Jeremy gives on his social networks he states that "Old Record" was put out without the band (A Day To Remember) actually finishing it by Victory Records. If you know ADTR discography you'll know it was Old Record, And Their Name Was Treason, For Those Who Have Heart, Homesick and recently What Separates Me From You. Personally that looks like 5 albums to me even if they ( ADTR) weren't personally satisfied with the albums, Victory Records made them put them out. Personally the lawsuit is bullshit and I hope ADTR wins. They were treated like shit from the start and should just be left to finally make and finish music that they are happy with.
And Their Name Was Treason wasn't released by Victory Records...
07:50 PM on 10/09/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
It seems worst case, this album could count as their 5th. If they had to go in and re-record parts or all of their first album for a victory release, that should definitely count as one towards the contract. Old Record, FTWHH, Homesick, WSMFY, CC. I'm unclear if Victory gets the profits from it, if it will count towards their contract since it's technically self-released.. Situation is definitely messy lol. Props to the judge for acknowledging not getting music out could harm their career, regardless of the final judgment it seems this will really do wonders for the rest of their career. So many positive vibes and a great album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos