Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 18 posts
03:58 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Rules for Chat
Be respectful. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but make sure that you aren't crossing any boundaries of any sort. If you have any hesitations about posting a certain question, odds are you shouldn't post it. Disrespect will not be tolerated and will be met with a deleted post and a ban.

Double, triple, and quadruple posts will be deleted, along with posts that are overly modified to get attention. No extra formatting is needed; I'm sure they can read just as well as, if not better than, most of us.

If they doesn't answer your question, feel free to ask another.

This is not a way to ask them for favors, to ask them if they'll make your voicemail message for you or visit you at your house.

Have fun. The idea is for everyone to talk together and share in a collective experience.

Some Posting Tips

Obviously you need to register for an account to participate. It's free. It's easy.

You may want to add an avatar to your account. It's that little icon by your post and it makes you stand out.

The chat takes place in the comments section of this thread -- it's just like a regular forum thread.

To reply to a post, click the "quote" link on it - and then type your reply. Simple.

To post a new reply, scroll to the bottom of the page and use either the "quick reply" box - or click the "write a comment" button.

If this is your first time on the website, remember that it may take a little getting used to - but we hope we made the experience easy for even first time posters. Hope you have a good time. Don't forget to come back daily to see what kinds of things we have going on during the day. Or follow us on twitter or facebook to not miss any important announcements.
"Hello folks. Looking forward to your questions"
04:02 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
" the most common pitfall I see young managers falling into is the inability to say " I don't know". Too often I find that young managers who try to bullshit their way through issues they are not experienced in, rather than saying "I'm not sure..let me do some homework and come back to you on that one." I've been doing this for 35 years and there is still a ton of stuff that I'm not an expert on. When I don't know something I'll say it. And then I'll get busy getting the answer. Many times that means finding someone who is an expert on a particular issue and picking his or her brain and getting the right answer."
04:04 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hi Steve,

I'm in a a hardcore band out of the midwest. We've been trying to prioritize the most important types of people to have around us with the limited money that we have... What do you think is most important, hiring a manager or a publicist?
I think without a doubt the most important team member will be a great manager. If you get that one right the rest will tend to follow.
04:06 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Steve, thanks for doing this. As a young, aspiring manager, it's a great opportunity to pick your brain. I've got some questions for you:

1. What is a common pitfall you see in young managers?
2. For someone looking to break into the management end, with so many artists to choose from, do you suggest sticking with 1 all the way through, or working with several and hoping one pans out?
3. Thoughts on the EDM bubble? Is it going to just keep growing or will it burst soon?
4. I know what "Fuck The Gatekeepers" means, but for those that don't care to explain?

Thanks!
I've worked with a number of artists at the same time earlier in my career. I believed in all of them but none of them became big successful artists with long careers. I've only managed Incubus for the last 15 years and resisted the temptation to add a bunch of acts to my 'roster'. I think that some of the success we've had with Incubus could reasonably be atrributed to the fact that I had only them to focus on.
04:09 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hello sir. so i'm in the biggest local band in the world, Modern Chemistry. i was wondering how to be the biggest band overall in the world?
Keep doing all the things you did to become the biggest local band in the world but start thinking bigger. Get out of your local area and be the biggest band in your state, then region, and then country. You'll need some help so look for key team members like a manager who has national/intrnational experience. Tell your local story to people outside your local area.
04:13 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've worked with a number of artists at the same time earlier in my career. I believed in all of them but none of them became big successful artists with long careers. I've only managed Incubus for the last 15 years and resisted the temptation to add a bunch of acts to my 'roster'. I think that some of the success we've had with Incubus could reasonably be atrributed to the fact that I had only them to focus on.
FUCK THE GATEKEEPERS is the battle cry for the doers in the world. FTGK says I'm doing this no matter how many NO's I hear. FTGK says I will find ways around the obstacles I face. FTGK says I will decide to have a great attitude and focus on the wins. FTGK says I'm more in love with winning than I hate losing. Everybody who did something great in their life had moments of fear, insecurity, and anxiety where it would have been easier to quit. But they did not. FTGK I'm doing this has to be your battle cry.
04:15 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks Renman, I've been following your show since last year. I'm moving to LA next month with an aspiration to get into management. Do you have any extra advice you can give me? I'm currently reading up on management as much as I can before I move. I just wanted to find 1 band to focus on and go from there.
You should have looked at every clip on Renman MB with managers that are doing it. Everybody has a different story of how they overcame obstacles. A manager's main gig is to overcome adversity and inspire confidence in their artists. Here is a link to a managers playlist.
http://www.renmanmb.com/search/results?keywords=manager
04:17 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks Renman, I've been following your show since last year. I'm moving to LA next month with an aspiration to get into management. Do you have any extra advice you can give me? I'm currently reading up on management as much as I can before I move. I just wanted to find 1 band to focus on and go from there.
Finding one great band and starting there is a great idea. Its very easy to do the old 'throw shit on the wall' approach but its not the best idea imo.
04:18 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hello sir. so i'm in the biggest local band in the world, Modern Chemistry. i was wondering how to be the biggest band overall in the world?
What city do you guys live in?
04:22 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's it folks? No more questions?
04:29 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As someone with no experience in music but a love and passion for it, how would I be able to convince an artist to let me be their manager?
that's a good question Strike. Most artists that are just starting off will not likely get the attention of a more experienced manager. So that provides an opportunity for guys like yourself. At this early stage its entirely possible that your enthusiasm alone could make a difference. Maybe the band is looking to do their first gig and they just need someone who is going to relentlessly call club buyers to get that first gig. That does not require a ton of experience, just stubbornness and a little FTGK attitude. And once you done that a few times you'll start to develop the chops of asking questions. I've got a little advice for you. If you don't ask, you don't get. So for the relentless folks that are not afraid to ask you provide value to the band. I've met some great young managers who started with very little experience but who had enthusiasm and the right attitude who done great things for their client while they were learning on the job. Check out this link to Nicky Berger, manager of GROUPLOVE. He is you.
http://www.renmanmb.com/live/guests/nicky-berger
04:33 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey Steve, thanks for taking the time to chat. What (if any) is the difference like working with a smaller band compared to a bigger one? Same problems, different degree of fame, or does being a bigger band present much different challenges?
By and large the only difference is that the job is easier in alot of ways when you are having some success. More opportunities find you than the other way around. And did I mention that when everybody is actually making money it makes things feel better. That said, when bands become successful a whole new slew of issues come into play, maintaining success, more expectations, more temptations, and loss of motivation.

When you are just starting off looking for wins it can be very tough and very lonely as a manager. When things go right everybody is happy to take the credit. When it goes wrong it is YOUR idea.
04:37 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Are you a fan of artists using crowd funding like Kickstarter to fund their albums, especially artists that have the means to fund the album themselves?
I think the crowdfunding option is an interesting phenomenon. I think on one level its a great tool to raise money and test the commitment of your audience and also to cement your relationship with them. In some ways, if you have a built in audience that wants to support you it provides a very personal connection between fans and artists.

But, crowdfunding is not as easy as it looks. And once you are done making the record it takes lots of money to market and distribute the music. But in general, I think its a great new tool for artists and business people as well.
04:39 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
we're in New Brunswick, NJ. Hub City all day
Are you playing in other markets in the neighborhood?
04:47 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
We play at the Court Tavern in New Brunswick quite a bit, basement shows a bunch around the area. We've also hit Asbury Park, Long Branch, Clifton, New York City. We're currently booking a tour this winter and trying to hit NYC, Philly, Maryland and a few more spots.
That is the recipe Joe. Think of your live career as concentric circles and the idea is to keep widening the circle. And if you are doing real business make sure you let buyers in other markets know. Talk with other bands in other cities and offer to swap opening slots. Be creative. Be relentless. Mike Einziger from Incubus was that guy in the band in the early days. Handed out flyers everywhere, took names and numbers everywhere. Relentless networker. He's the guy that roped me in.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos