Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 38
05:18 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hello sir. so i'm in the biggest local band in the world, Modern Chemistry. i was wondering how to be the biggest band overall in the world?
What city do you guys live in?
05:21 PM on 10/07/13
strikefirefall
User Info.
Finding one great band and starting there is a great idea. Its very easy to do the old 'throw shit on the wall' approach but its not the best idea imo.
As someone with no experience in music but a love and passion for it, how would I be able to convince an artist to let me be their manager?
05:22 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's it folks? No more questions?
05:26 PM on 10/07/13
strikefirefall
User Info.
Are you a fan of artists using crowd funding like Kickstarter to fund their albums, especially artists that have the means to fund the album themselves?
05:27 PM on 10/07/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
That's it folks? No more questions?
Hey Steve, thanks for taking the time to chat. What (if any) is the difference like working with a smaller band compared to a bigger one? Same problems, different degree of fame, or does being a bigger band present much different challenges?
05:29 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As someone with no experience in music but a love and passion for it, how would I be able to convince an artist to let me be their manager?
that's a good question Strike. Most artists that are just starting off will not likely get the attention of a more experienced manager. So that provides an opportunity for guys like yourself. At this early stage its entirely possible that your enthusiasm alone could make a difference. Maybe the band is looking to do their first gig and they just need someone who is going to relentlessly call club buyers to get that first gig. That does not require a ton of experience, just stubbornness and a little FTGK attitude. And once you done that a few times you'll start to develop the chops of asking questions. I've got a little advice for you. If you don't ask, you don't get. So for the relentless folks that are not afraid to ask you provide value to the band. I've met some great young managers who started with very little experience but who had enthusiasm and the right attitude who done great things for their client while they were learning on the job. Check out this link to Nicky Berger, manager of GROUPLOVE. He is you.
http://www.renmanmb.com/live/guests/nicky-berger
05:33 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey Steve, thanks for taking the time to chat. What (if any) is the difference like working with a smaller band compared to a bigger one? Same problems, different degree of fame, or does being a bigger band present much different challenges?
By and large the only difference is that the job is easier in alot of ways when you are having some success. More opportunities find you than the other way around. And did I mention that when everybody is actually making money it makes things feel better. That said, when bands become successful a whole new slew of issues come into play, maintaining success, more expectations, more temptations, and loss of motivation.

When you are just starting off looking for wins it can be very tough and very lonely as a manager. When things go right everybody is happy to take the credit. When it goes wrong it is YOUR idea.
05:36 PM on 10/07/13
JoeForPresident
Vocals/Guitar - Modern Chemistry
User Info.
What city do you guys live in?
we're in New Brunswick, NJ. Hub City all day
05:37 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Are you a fan of artists using crowd funding like Kickstarter to fund their albums, especially artists that have the means to fund the album themselves?
I think the crowdfunding option is an interesting phenomenon. I think on one level its a great tool to raise money and test the commitment of your audience and also to cement your relationship with them. In some ways, if you have a built in audience that wants to support you it provides a very personal connection between fans and artists.

But, crowdfunding is not as easy as it looks. And once you are done making the record it takes lots of money to market and distribute the music. But in general, I think its a great new tool for artists and business people as well.
05:39 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
we're in New Brunswick, NJ. Hub City all day
Are you playing in other markets in the neighborhood?
05:42 PM on 10/07/13
JoeForPresident
User Info.
Are you playing in other markets in the neighborhood?
We play at the Court Tavern in New Brunswick quite a bit, basement shows a bunch around the area. We've also hit Asbury Park, Long Branch, Clifton, New York City. We're currently booking a tour this winter and trying to hit NYC, Philly, Maryland and a few more spots.
05:45 PM on 10/07/13
DLBogosian
Finch tech, UTG writer, @dlbogosian
User Info.
Do you think it's appropriate for someone in the music business to be pursuing more than one thing at a time? ie being a record label and a booking agent, being a promoter and a publicist, etc?
05:47 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
We play at the Court Tavern in New Brunswick quite a bit, basement shows a bunch around the area. We've also hit Asbury Park, Long Branch, Clifton, New York City. We're currently booking a tour this winter and trying to hit NYC, Philly, Maryland and a few more spots.
That is the recipe Joe. Think of your live career as concentric circles and the idea is to keep widening the circle. And if you are doing real business make sure you let buyers in other markets know. Talk with other bands in other cities and offer to swap opening slots. Be creative. Be relentless. Mike Einziger from Incubus was that guy in the band in the early days. Handed out flyers everywhere, took names and numbers everywhere. Relentless networker. He's the guy that roped me in.
05:51 PM on 10/07/13
Renman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Do you think it's appropriate for someone in the music business to be pursuing more than one thing at a time? ie being a record label and a booking agent, being a promoter and a publicist, etc?
I think getting started is the toughest part. Once you get that first gig make sure you do a great job for your employer. Make yourself indispensable in the gig you have first. And if you do it right you will meet other people in other areas of the business and I think ultimately you will find your true north and figure out where you real area of strength is. I started as a concert promoter, then a manager, then a label dude, then web entrepreneur, and then manager again. But I did 4-7 years in each of those gigs. And it ultimately gave me a very broad experience when I took over Incubus.

BTW-congrats on the new gig. Rebecca from Shorefire told me she hired you.
05:51 PM on 10/07/13
JoeForPresident
User Info.
That is the recipe Joe. Think of your live career as concentric circles and the idea is to keep widening the circle. And if you are doing real business make sure you let buyers in other markets know. Talk with other bands in other cities and offer to swap opening slots. Be creative. Be relentless. Mike Einziger from Incubus was that guy in the band in the early days. Handed out flyers everywhere, took names and numbers everywhere. Relentless networker. He's the guy that roped me in.
that's awesome, thank you for the advice Steve. i love networking, meeting and connecting with new friends. we'll continue doing what we're doing. we're also working on an entertainment collective in hopes of creating a force of like-minded musicians that can really capture people's interest.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos