AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts
06:52 AM on 10/10/13
thispartysux128
User Info.
I love this review man. I am not a fan at all and this made me feel like I needed to check this out...

And I probably would have if I had not watched Miley: The Movement on MTV. The way she acts on that show suggests to me that none of what she is doing is planned for artistic or "punk" merit to subvert anything, but rather she is acting out as a spoiled little brat/rebellious teenager who cries and screams when she doesn't get her way.

I love your argument that she is challenging gender and racial norms, and while you have me convinced of the former, I am thoroughly not convinced on the latter. It is truly frustrating to me that she wanted something that "sounds black" when she obviously has no real understanding or respect of the culture and that is shown by her comment. Its just about as lame as the mainstream embrace of the "Harlem Shake" which had no real understanding of the actual "Harlem Shake" in black culture.

I hate this type of music, but I am fascinated by it because of the way that it is shaping our culture. I really hope on her next record that Miley sees the positives about Bangerz and runs in the "punk" direction rather than the "whiny little brat" direction. Seeing as she is only 20 I am hoping she hits that rebellious and artistic period in her young adulthood but I am not going to hold my breath.

Regardless, Great review and great writing!
11:37 AM on 10/10/13
thispartysux128
User Info.
Haha true enough. I was surprised at some of the failures of the production on here. I expected to enjoy every single beat based solely on the names but it didn't end up happening.

I'm glad you liked it so much! I have a lot I want to say about Miley as a cultural transgressor that I don't have the time to get into right now because I have an exam in a couple of hours, but I'm happy that someone took something from the review like this. Thanks so much for reading and I hope to get into a long winded explanation of why I think she's doing a good job re: racial norms. I just couldn't fit it in the review without going on for wayyy too long and losing sight of the music haha
awesome man, I'd love to have a discussion about it. send me a PM if you want.
10:48 PM on 10/10/13
thispartysux128
User Info.
This is actually similar to what my girlfriend has said, but I haven't seen it, so I can't really comment on it. The interviews I've read don't read this way to me but I imagine the doc is probably more accurate.

There's a bunch of stuff here that I want to talk about.

Having concinced you of her transgressing gender norms, I have to draw your attention to the persistent use of gendered racism in America - the denigration of black women as "ratchet," the novelization of "twerking," the "jezebel" archetype etc. What Miley has done in recent months, particularly at her VMA performance, is to adopt those very same racial stereotypes and project them as a white woman. Her facetious approach to sexuality and the way it relates to black identity (by adopting "twerking," playing a song that is viewed as "ratchet") is holding a mirror up to the highly racialized caricature of fear and anxiety that the white population has of black sexuality. Seeing those very racialized actions coming from the body of a white female is viewed, despite the very very obvious parodical nature of the performance, as being repugnant and unbecoming of a person of her stature in society. Miley is not holding the black culture in contempt, but is instead holding the way her primary audience views black culture in contempt. (There is a very good chance everything I just wrote makes zero sense) I think that it's a little off putting to demand an in depth understanding of the culture in this case, Miley (however appropriate it may be to do so) is utilizing black culture to distance herself from the white hegemonical system she is bound to. There's a whole mess of entanglements about whether she's privileged or horrible to "use" black culture in this way, but it's my belief that the appropriation of and sharing of ideas is an important cultural exchange and will inevitably serve to level the playing field and make people recognize that there *is* no cultural exchange in America, because "black" and "white" don't really exist in the way we conceptualize them.

As far as the "harlem shake" is concerned, I don't find that to be of equitable stature, but I understand the way you're approaching it. I think in that instance it's important to separate, again, the wya the white audience treats it - as a joke - and the way that Bauuer, the artist, feels about it. His intention isn't to distract from the actual Harlem Shake or to turn it into something else, that is a result of white audiences projecting their contempt for black art (both the dance and the styles that Bauuer appropriates) onto the song itself and treating it as a joke.

Wow man, You just blew my mind. I guess it all just depends on the cultural lens you are using to view Miley Cyrus. My thinking comes from the fact that I don't think that she or anyone else (besides you) recognizes that she is making this statement as this is the first time I have heard about it. My question is, if no one really recognizes this as her statement is it making any kind of a difference? Also, do you think she intended to use black culture to "distance herself from the white hegemonical system she is bound to" or is it a situation where she just saw something that she thought was cool and used it? Is Miley Cyrus smart enough to make that kind of a statement? I have to say no, not because she is a woman or a celebrity, but because she is a 20 year old who (I feel) is just rebelling against everything she was in search of her own identity. Yeah, so I guess I think that for her this is nothing more than an identity crisis that just happens to be broadcast on television. I guess it doesn't matter whether she intended it or not because like with literature it is all about the reader or in this case the viewer's interpretation. I like your interpretation way better than mine because I feel I want to believe that that kind of an artistic/cultural statement could be made in our mainstream culture, but I remember what I was like when I was 20 and I can't imagine this to be anything more than her trying to discover who she is.

As far as the "no cultural exchange in America" thing. I don't know if I agree with you so much here. I am not saying that I am for any kind of segregation but I feel that there should be a certain respect for culture because you cannot really separate the culture from the history. For example, a ton of amazing African American works are about slavery. Now as a white person, I will never be able to fully grasp or understand something like that because my "race" has never gone through something like. We have different cultural identities because the concept of race has caused us to experience the world in a different way. As we move further away from slavery, that line becomes somewhat smaller but it will never truly disappear because of the incredible art and culture of African American people. Now I am not sure where "twerking" falls in with slavery as a form of cultural identity, or even if it is celebrated as positive or negative within the culture. I guess that is something I should look into.

I look forward to viewing Miley's future endeavors through your cultural lens. Thanks for the long response and explanation. Hopefully everyone takes a few minutes to read it because it really is fascinating stuff.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos