Username
Password
Contest News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Contest
Inside AP.net

AP.net Contest: Finch Ticket Giveaway

Posted by: Drew Beringer (10/10/13)
Another day, another chance to win tickets to see your favorite band. Finch and Dance Gavin Dance will be playing at The Paramount in Long Island on October 13th. We're giving away one pair to one lucky winner today. Check the replies for details on how to win.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
02:57 PM on 10/10/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.

The Gaslight Anthem Ticket GiveawayWhat's your favorite song off of Finch's What It Is To Burn and why. I'll choose my favorite answer by the end of the day and notify the winner via PM. Good luck!
03:25 PM on 10/10/13
cottenberg
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"New Beginnings." It's an incredible opening track and sets up the mood for the rest of the album. It's upbeat with a little screaming and has an extremely catchy chorus. Plus, most people can relate to the lyrics in some way.

This album came out when I was 12 and starting to get into music, and was one of the first albums that started it all for me. I would be so stoked to get these tickets!
04:18 PM on 10/10/13
Blackomen
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
" three simple words" it was the first song I heard from that album that got me hooked on them. It was the first finch song I learned how to play on guitar. That album was in constant rotation when I was in high school
04:44 PM on 10/10/13
Dombyam
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been listening to Finch since I was 13- I'm now 26. Throughout the entire time "Without You Here" became one of my teenage anthems, and grew into one of my favorite songs of all time. Helped me get through break-ups, the death of loved ones and the many times I felt abandoned or alone. The soft melodic verses building into the powerful chorus/bridge/outro was everything a song should me to me. It captured not only the feeling of losing/missing someone, but ALSO the the strong sentiment/self-realization that every "storm" will eventually calm-and until then, try to remain strong.

Sorry for sounding so preachy haha, love you guys. Thanks for all the music and memories! Hope I get to see you guys one last time!
05:07 PM on 10/10/13
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
'New Beginnings' is the perfect song to open this album.
It builds a great foundation for the album and is clearly set a part from the rest of the tracks.
It will always give me chills and will always be one of my favorite tracks, I remember how I felt the first time I heard that intro
Its ten years later and i am ten years older and still feel the same way.

I will constantly regret never seeing Finch or hearing this song live. Every chance I had at seeing them I missed out or was unable.
Its such an influential album to me personally and as a musican. and clearly to the scene.
Finch were years ahead of themselves and helped ignite a refreshing and new genre of music at that time.
Even after they abandoned this sound they grew relevant through the batch of bands that followed and attempted to recreate
what Finch created on WIITB.
05:22 PM on 10/10/13
foisol
EST 1986
User Info.
Grey Matter. With the two simple polyphonic clean guitar licks in the beginning... who saw Daryl Palumbo's maniacal vocal style come in, with the rest of the band?

Finch was one of my favorite bands growing up, and just like most kids, I first heard "Three Simple Words" and the "What It Is To Burn" single. When I saw the band perform live on TV, on Jimmy Kimmel... I was hooked. One of the first bands that got me into post-hardcore, and had me wearing black band tee's, chucks and trucker hats... then came the scene hair and skinny jeans. I'm 27 now, and a lot of those pictures of me look funny but I had some great times, with some great friends, with music like this in the background.
10:19 PM on 10/10/13
ItisNotMe
User Info.
Yo this is ridiculous man. Post Script and Ender are my two favorite songs on that album. The only way I can pick a winner is because Ender had all that noise at the end so it took forever to repeat on its own. Post Script just went ahead and repeated without hassling me.

And when driving PS is one of those songs that if it came on randomly you sing your heart out...embarrassingly
06:25 AM on 10/11/13
XIMBOREDOFYOUX1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The title track has to be not just my favorite on the album, but one of my all time top jams. I still remember screaming the beginning and end of this song when I was 15 and scaring the shit out of my mom haha.

Seriously, when he screams "she burns" at the end like 3 times in a row, I still get chills. It just feels right.
02:07 PM on 10/11/13
AroundSurviving
Making Friends is Never Logical
User Info.
My favorite song off WIITB is Perfection Through Silence. This song holds alot of meaning in my life. Dated a girl for 9 months and broke up cause of her parents. I loved her and then fast foward to 6 months later when I first saw her at a party, we talked and kind of "connected" again but wished each other the best in our futures and wanted to be friends. Then the next day I'm driving around and this song comes on and I start to really think about us and how much I still love her and how much i want her in my life. So I "broke the silence" and started texted her. Next thing I know, i pick her up, we talk more and we have been back together ever since (4 years)
04:21 PM on 10/12/13
bertbro
User Info.
The track "What it is to Burn" played a huge role during my adolescence and was hands down the most important track in the process of molding my music taste. At the time I was a 13 year old obsessing over the heaviest nu-metal bands I could find. This track was really like a segue in to the punk music scene for me. When you really think about it, it retains a lot of the elements of radio rock from the late 90's and early-2000's, and blends that sound with a more alternative/post-hardcore feel.

Also, to me, being a middle schooler is one of the most difficult periods of one's life. I was struggling with making friends at a new school and this song helped me deal with a lot of the depression and frustration that I was trying to cope with during those years. The lyrics can also be interpreted in so many different ways that I've used this song to get through almost every rough patch of the last decade. Without it, I never would have gotten involved in my local music scene which is where I met the people that I consider to be my best friends to this day.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS