AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Emily Kopp - Serendipity Find Me Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Emily Kopp - Serendipity Find Me

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (10/14/13)
Emily Kopp - Serendipity Find Me
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: Oct. 15, 2013

In a modern music landscape where female singers are too busy twerking and grabbing headlines, Orlando singer-songwriter Emily Kopp is a rare breed, a welcome tonic from all the din and chaos that has become contemporary pop music. A self-proclaimed "acoustic soul" songstress, Kopp's debut effort is a giant step forward from her 2011 EP Potential and a definite siren call for fellow females in the ever-crowded acoustic singer-songwriter genre.

The nine-song effort, produced by Justin Beckler, has an array of peaks and very few lulls. Lead single "When We Fight" is a tender, sincere and deeply inspired look at a domestic fight. Kopp is not one to beat around the bush and nowhere is that more apparent than in the line, "I don't want to talk about bullsh$t, I just want to work it out." The song is loose, airy and allows Kopp and her blend plenty of wiggle room to feel their parts. That kind of deftness is what makes the album work as well as it does.

On firecrackers like the title track, Kopp and her band leisurely stroll along before diving into a fiery and layered outro that makes one want to press repeat as soon as it finishes. Though she finds more kinship with singer-songwriters like Sara Bareilles and Brandi Carlile, Kopp's honeyed delivery seems more akin to California's Schuyler Fisk or Brooklyn's Bess Rogers. That being written, efforts like the wise-beyond-its-years "So Scared" and the deeply impassioned "Thicker Than Blood" reveal a stark honesty and immediacy that points towards Kopp's undeniably bright future.

Having already made a name for herself in her adopted hometown of Orlando, Kopp is eager to extend her reach to the American Southeast and beyond. With an effort this strong in her backpocket she seems more than capable of doing exactly that. This may just be the beginning for the burgeoning starlet, but if premonitions count for anything, this writer is pretty keen to think that Kopp has a few Billboard-ready albums still waiting to be written.

Recommended If You Like Sara Bareilles, Brandi Carlile, Schuyler Fisk, Bess Rogers

Tracklisting 1. Flying Blind
2. Friend Like You
3. When We Fight
4. Thicker Than Blood
5. Can't Catch Me
6. Do You Ever
7. So Scared
8. Some People
9. Serendipity

Produced by Justin Buckler and Emily Kopp

Emily Kopp: vocals, guitar
Justin Beckler: guitars, keys, production, et al.
Nasrullah Rahbari: bass
Joey Lanna: drums

Find Her Here http://www.emilykoppmusic.com

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums