08:18 PM on 10/16/13
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
08:20 PM on 10/16/13
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
Yeah, I feel like this is a bit extreme. How much studio time could you need to record songs you've been playing for years?

What about individual value for a customer? $25 isn't enough to include a T-shirt the band can make, buy, and ship for less than $10?

They're charging $25 for an album full of songs the fans have already heard. I'm sure it'll sound great, but goddamn.

The next tier is $50 for the $25 remix album, a $10 t-shirt you won't want to wear in public, and your name in a booklet. What a steal.

Do I sound cynical?
Yes. You don't have to pay that money to actually get the album, only to contribute to the making of the album. How do people still misunderstand Kickstarter at this point?
09:07 PM on 10/16/13
skoopy48
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like we were having this same kickstarter discussion when they were raising money for Pheonix.
09:59 PM on 10/16/13
MrBenjaminQLee
I am adorable.
User Info.
I'm all for Kickstarter honestly. Phoenix turned out amazing. Probably my favorite The Classic Crime album. Crowd funding is always sort of cool, it gives ownership to the fans as opposed a label in a sense.
10:16 PM on 10/16/13
Sfudgie1985
User Info.
I feel like the purpose of a Kickstarter isn't to rely on it more than once to fund your own projects.
you would be very wrong. There are plenty of people who use Kickstarter to fund various projects they want to do. It is by no means a one and done thing.
05:46 AM on 10/17/13
B.Leibo
User Info.
Feel like they've lost a pep in their step, they're all mellow and acoustic.. I miss the days of 'The Fight' and 'Abracadavers'
06:13 AM on 10/17/13
Fourchordwonder
Guess our wishes don't do dishes
User Info.
Feel like they've lost a pep in their step, they're all mellow and acoustic.. I miss the days of 'The Fight' and 'Abracadavers'
I remember when they started playing "Abracadavers" near the end of the Albatross touring cycle. Such a cool live song.
08:48 AM on 10/17/13
antiradio
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not sure people disagree with kickstarter as much as they disagree with what it's actually funding or the rewards. In this case I disagree with what it's actually funding. 10 acoustic songs for $15000??? I love the CC but don't agree with this at all therefore won't support this project. Whoever said they have a lot of "filler" on their albums was right though so hopefully they pick the right 10 tracks
10:09 AM on 10/17/13
brettswanny
brettswanny
User Info.
I felt the same way. Albatross was such an aggressive album, and they got more and more mellow with every release. Phoenix did have some awesome aggressive songs though. "Glass Houses" was amazing.
10:22 AM on 10/17/13
B.Leibo
User Info.
I felt the same way. Albatross was such an aggressive album, and they got more and more mellow with every release. Phoenix did have some awesome aggressive songs though. "Glass Houses" was amazing.
I mean I agree that Glass Houses is a good song in its own right but it still misses that in-your-face aggressiveness.. I don't know maybe I'm just stuck in the past... easier to say bands first albums are usually hard to beat. Their lyrics have surely matured... but I wish they'd kind of just 'lose their shit'
12:48 PM on 10/17/13
drummer13
verbthenounband.com
User Info.
I'm not sure people disagree with kickstarter as much as they disagree with what it's actually funding or the rewards. In this case I disagree with what it's actually funding. 10 acoustic songs for $15000??? I love the CC but don't agree with this at all therefore won't support this project. Whoever said they have a lot of "filler" on their albums was right though so hopefully they pick the right 10 tracks
If you read the description on the kickstarter you'd see that only $4000 is covering the recording, everything else is for pressing physical CDs and printing shirts, etc.

So they are doing this for pretty cheap.
01:32 PM on 10/17/13
antiradio
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If you read the description on the kickstarter you'd see that only $4000 is covering the recording, everything else is for pressing physical CDs and printing shirts, etc.

So they are doing this for pretty cheap.

my mistake - helps to read things
02:56 PM on 10/18/13
brettswanny
brettswanny
User Info.
I mean I agree that Glass Houses is a good song in its own right but it still misses that in-your-face aggressiveness.. I don't know maybe I'm just stuck in the past... easier to say bands first albums are usually hard to beat. Their lyrics have surely matured... but I wish they'd kind of just 'lose their shit'
No I get what you're saying. Albatross really was scream-at-the-top-of-your-lungs music overall, and the rest of their catalog is missing that. I wonder if it had anything to do with the popularity of Seattle Sessions. I see so many comments saying that is someone's favorite.
10:52 PM on 10/18/13
MrBenjaminQLee
I am adorable.
User Info.
I really don't get the Albatross love. It's definitely their worst album, very average. Even the "it's heavier" arguments I see above are kind of odd because Silver Cord was a much heavier album. Albatross has like 3, maybe 4 songs I really like on it. It was kind of just a generic rock record in the vein of Fall Out Boy at the time. (Compare "All The Memories" to "Sugar, We're Goin Down") I'd say it could go either way with The Silver Cord or Phoenix as their best. I like Vagabonds a good bit, just didn't have that epic feel like the latter. I don't know, I guess to each his own. Just don't quite understand the other view.
06:40 PM on 10/19/13
B.Leibo
User Info.
Well Abracadavers is on Silver Cord, so I was kind of agreeing with you^

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News