Password

Album Review
TRC - Nation Album Cover

TRC - Nation

Reviewed by
TRC Nation
Release Date: September 24, 2013
Record Label: No Sleep
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Fall is here, which means I've been waking up at 5am and getting out the door to hit the gym, class, and work. Just like most everyone else, you can find yourself worn out near the end of the week, and are going to need a little musical pick me up to make it to the weekend. Question is, do I have faith that this is an album that'll keep me going, or will I find motivation elsewhere and toss this album in the recycle bin? Anything short of the teeth found on the band's prior album Bright Lights, and this album is definitely in the trash.

But as a preface to those who aren't familiar with the band, TRC is a London hardcore band signed to No Sleep Records that you're either going to absolutely love, or vehemently oppose - there's no real in-between, at least the way that I see it. Utilizing the 1-2 MC/Unclean vocalist style, Chris Robson delivers a large majority of the lyrics on the album, with a vocal style similar to that of Anthony Martini of E Town Concrete, while other vocalist Anthony Carroll barks similar to Lawrence Taylor of While She Sleeps. The setup is nothing groundbreaking, but it's still highly enjoyable nonetheless; however, if the rap/yell vocal combo doesn't do it for you, you can stop reading here, and move onto something else.

"10,000 Hours" serves as a quick reminder to let go of what you can't control and go after what you're dreaming about ("Sometimes in life, I would get a little down...I've got the mental strength to stay focused for 10,000 hours"); it also features a nifty section near the end that'll prove hard not to headbang along to. "We Bring War" is without question the most aggressive and in your face track on the album, with plenty of double-bass and mosh riffs to satisfy most heavy music fans; as for the lyrics, it's almost as if Tommy Johnson or Pete Dunham wrote them themselves ("And I'll give em' one shot for free, because I'm nice like that...but hit hard as a hammer, cause I hammer right back"). "Beefeater 1/2" follow directly after "War" and does a great job of allowing Carroll to showcase what he's got vocally, since he doesn't appear on the album nearly as much as one would think. The coach-like "Gold Medal Music" is easily my favorite song off the record - it has a consistent, steady rap flow, backed up with a simple rhythm/lead guitar riff, and rolling double bass that come in mid-way that I can't help but get amped up over; lyrically, it's simply an anthem to get off your ass and don't be lazy - "It's two more miles, not just one".

Unfortunately, I'd have to say "#TeamUK" was the least inspiring track on the album. Why? It just didn't seem to fit the album very well, as it had been previously released online prior, and besides, I live in America, so it's hard to feel the pride. Sure, there's bands from the U.K. that are great and do relatively well - Don Broco, Lower Than Atlantis, Your Demise, the list goes on and on, and as Robson would say, "Don't laugh, that's amazing!". The song isn't bad by any means, it just wasn't particularly written for Americans.

So with all things considered, TRC definitely have themselves a proper follow-up to Bright Lights, and I'll definitely be spinning this for quite some time. It's exactly what the band needed at this point in time, as they've grown across the board and kept the style fans love, but haven't written a carbon copy of what they've put out previously. If you're looking for an aggressive way to kick off the fall, then give Nation a chance. This is an album that hasn't gotten old since I got my hands on it, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
09:31 AM on 10/17/13
hometownblues_
Sam
User Info.
Love for TRC on absolutepunk? What's happening to the world!?
09:58 AM on 10/17/13
Quijiba
User Info.
This is pretty sweet. Definitely gonna spin this album. Did not expect it to be that good for some reason
10:20 AM on 10/17/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I believe the first song title was changed
10:23 AM on 10/17/13
lilRIPsta
User Info.
Wow. E.Town Concrete reference. #oldschool
10:26 AM on 10/17/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
it's bizarre that you start referring to the band and album in the first paragraph without introducing either properly – you have to use pronouns before saying "the band" or "the album" if you want to make sense.
05:54 PM on 10/17/13
Spider Mansion
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it's bizarre that you start referring to the band and album in the first paragraph without introducing either properly – you have to use pronouns before saying "the band" or "the album" if you want to make sense.
I agree. Who are we talking about here, which band, which album, WHERE AM I?
12:43 PM on 10/18/13
dtomczak
always hungry.
User Info.
First paragraph doesn't really make sense. But I'll prob check this out.
02:37 PM on 10/18/13
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
While we're at it, you could get rid of the 4th paragraph. It doesn't really add much to the review.
05:06 PM on 10/24/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
3% . hahaha. This is amazing.
07:42 PM on 10/24/13
roemilca
User Info.
-3%
08:19 AM on 11/05/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I'm not trying to stir anything up but your frequency of interjecting facts about your personal life into the ledes of your reviews is a baffling practice that I will never understand.
08:42 PM on 11/07/13
jrockisthebest
jrock is my nickname
User Info.
yo homie gotta fix that score

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT