AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Epitaph Records News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Epitaph Records, You Let Me Down.

Posted by - 08:16 PM on 10/29/13
Epitaph Records is streaming Survive This!'s new album on YouTube. This is the album that includes a song called "Pardon Me" which contains lyrical gems like, "just wait until I get my hands on you, bleed bitch bleed [...] I've never hit a woman but you're wearing me thin." I'm just going to say how I feel about this one: it's absolutely embarrassing that a label I have respected since a kid would put their name on this trash. Disgusting.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 288
08:19 PM on 10/29/13
PillsAndAdvice
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would've thought it would be hard to make something more offensive/embarrassing than the music itself, but wow.
08:21 PM on 10/29/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
I can understand a label like this not wanting to sensor or impact a bands lyrics due to their punk image, but I don't get how a label like epitaph can put this out and put money behind promoting it.

Absolutely awful move.
08:21 PM on 10/29/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
A wahhbulance has been called and will be there shortly.
08:23 PM on 10/29/13
dannylololol
Stay Hungry. Stay Free.
User Info.
Shit
08:32 PM on 10/29/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Christ.
08:33 PM on 10/29/13
swboyd
The Screaming Wind
User Info.
Eh. They still have Converge and Every Time I Die at least.
08:35 PM on 10/29/13
brokenmixtape
You're all speed and no gas
User Info.
I'll forgive them since they still have the Weakerthans.........maybe.
08:45 PM on 10/29/13
Bryan Mac
GFYTN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is awful for so many reasons.
08:48 PM on 10/29/13
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
Wow
08:50 PM on 10/29/13
gold soundz
User Info.
Epitaph has been releasing shitty records to pay the bills for over 10 years now. Posting about this band just gives them more attention and a reason for people to click the link. Pay attention to the good bands on the roster and ignore this crap, its harmless and edgy to gain attention like this news post.
08:54 PM on 10/29/13
Nowisnotthetime
TFC
User Info.
Never mind the misogyny, "music" like this is still selling in the year 2013?
This is my question. Who is buying this terrible stuff??? There's no way they make money on this, so the one for them, one for us rationale doesn't hold. It completely destroys the label's reputation. I just don't get it on any level.
08:56 PM on 10/29/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Epitaph has been releasing shitty records to pay the bills for over 10 years now. Posting about this band just gives them more attention and a reason for people to click the link. Pay attention to the good bands on the roster and ignore this crap, its harmless and edgy to gain attention like this news post.
I don't believe it's harmless, if I did, I would just ignore it. And I obviously weighed the "shine a light on shit or just plug your nose and hope someone flushes" debate - and decided this time I'm not ok just pretending it doesn't exist. There's a very real problem with sexism in this scene right now - and it bothers me a label like Epitaph would be at this end of it and not the other.
08:57 PM on 10/29/13
anamericangod
User Info.
This is my question. Who is buying this terrible stuff??? There's no way they make money on this, so the one for them, one for us rationale doesn't hold. It completely destroys the label's reputation. I just don't get it on any level.
They wouldn't be putting this out if they weren't making money off of it.

Look at bands like Emmure. They put out music just like this along with a bunch of derogatory merch, and they sell. There's a market for it, and somewhere along the line a few label execs decided they were okay with perpetuating such shit. Disappointing indeed.
09:01 PM on 10/29/13
richcasper
User Info.
They've signed a lot of bands in the recent past that have made a lot of sense. The Menzingers, Alkaline Trio, Social Distortion, Thursday, Every Time I Die, Frank Turner, Off With Their Heads, etc.

But for almost a decade, this label that I've literally grown up with (I'm nearing thirty...) since back when The Offspring were getting big, has made me raise an eyebrow more than once due to some of the moves they've been making. It all started with FFTL and that awful fucking Escape The Fate band.

Point is, Mr. Gurewitz knows a dollar sign when he sees one.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos