AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Kevin Devine News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Kevin Devine
Inside AP.net

Kevin Devine "Private First Class" Lyric...

Posted by: Jason Tate (10/30/13)
Kevin Devine's lyric video for "Private First Class" can be found below.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
10:43 AM on 10/30/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
10:55 AM on 10/30/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Saw this on the HuffPo article (great interview, btw)...

I want to really love this video but it's not quite clicking with me. I think it just feels like the person making it was rushed.
03:32 PM on 10/30/13
yufli
...rook takes knight
User Info.
God damn this guy can write good songs. The lyrics here are so honest...this video helps bring them to light. I could watch lyric videos for his songs all day!
05:39 PM on 10/30/13
Dness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
God damn this guy can write good songs. The lyrics here are so honest...this video helps bring them to light. I could watch lyric videos for his songs all day!
I wish he would stay out of politics. He really is not qualified to speak on matters of national security. I hate this shit. He used to be great when he wrote songs about summer and girls.
06:26 PM on 10/30/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
I wish he would stay out of politics. He really is not qualified to speak on matters of national security. I hate this shit. He used to be great when he wrote songs about summer and girls.
Gotta say, I disagree completely.

Right off the bat, the notion that one must be qualified to express oneself is ridiculous. As long as you don't comport to be a trusted source of information or ideological guidance, I don't mind you writing about world events as you experience them.

Songs like "Private First Class" don't make ideological prescriptions.
If it was you,
You might wish you'd been born a liar
A coward
9 months in a hole
3 years in a cage
For having a soul
The American way

This is a feeling shared by TONS of people. I'm personally very conflicted about where I stand on the Manning case because she was so legally wrong and (imo) mostly morally right, but the idea that Manning is a hero isn't exactly a fringe belief.

Writing what you feel isn't the same as sticking your nose into politics, and Kevin's never come close to making ideological prescriptions in his lyrics. If he has strong feelings about Chelsea Manning, about the US drone program, or about Congress then he's got every right to sing about them.
06:59 PM on 10/30/13
Kapa73
User Info.
Regarding Dness' comment: Look out, it's a trap.

Great video. One of my favorite new songs by KD.
06:01 AM on 10/31/13
jhog3411
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Gotta say, I disagree completely.

Right off the bat, the notion that one must be qualified to express oneself is ridiculous. As long as you don't comport to be a trusted source of information or ideological guidance, I don't mind you writing about world events as you experience them.

Songs like "Private First Class" don't make ideological prescriptions.
If it was you,
You might wish you'd been born a liar
A coward
9 months in a hole
3 years in a cage
For having a soul
The American way

This is a feeling shared by TONS of people. I'm personally very conflicted about where I stand on the Manning case because she was so legally wrong and (imo) mostly morally right, but the idea that Manning is a hero isn't exactly a fringe belief.

Writing what you feel isn't the same as sticking your nose into politics, and Kevin's never come close to making ideological prescriptions in his lyrics. If he has strong feelings about Chelsea Manning, about the US drone program, or about Congress then he's got every right to sing about them.
Of course Private First Class is an ideological song. It's become a political issue and he supports the side that says they should give the guy a parade. I don't think we should praise someone who released so much classified material. That's part of the deal when you sign up for the military: you don't spread the secret files.

That said, if KD feels strongly otherwise, write a song about it- he can do what he wants. He's made political statements previously in songs like No Time Flat or Love Me, I'm a Liberal. Of course he's made "ideological prescriptions" in his lyrics.
06:43 AM on 10/31/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Of course Private First Class is an ideological song. It's become a political issue and he supports the side that says they should give the guy a parade. I don't think we should praise someone who released so much classified material. That's part of the deal when you sign up for the military: you don't spread the secret files.

That said, if KD feels strongly otherwise, write a song about it- he can do what he wants. He's made political statements previously in songs like No Time Flat or Love Me, I'm a Liberal. Of course he's made "ideological prescriptions" in his lyrics.
Ideological statements aren't all ideological prescriptions.
07:06 AM on 10/31/13
jornor
RVA
User Info.
too good !~~~~
12:41 PM on 10/31/13
jhog3411
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What the heck is an "idelogical prescription?" Sounds pretentious.
01:46 PM on 11/01/13
yufli
...rook takes knight
User Info.
I guess you like a lot of radio music, then. I like how he gets political every now and then and does a good job of it. Songs like No Time Flat and Time to Burn are so smart and hit a very specific point.
He has every right to song and write about his opinion on stuff like this; the American way...
05:57 PM on 11/03/13
Dness
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I guess you like a lot of radio music, then. I like how he gets political every now and then and does a good job of it. Songs like No Time Flat and Time to Burn are so smart and hit a very specific point.
He has every right to song and write about his opinion on stuff like this; the American way...
Totally agree that No Time Flat is one of his best efforts. As you'll note above, I never said he doesn't have a right to opine on such things. I just think the liberalism within the industry is getting stale. It used to be that musicians and artists were a voice among the minority. Now that the culture in America has shifted dramatically left, it seems as though everyone is just piling on. Oh - I do love radio music and I'm proud of it.
03:38 PM on 11/04/13
yufli
...rook takes knight
User Info.
Totally agree that No Time Flat is one of his best efforts. As you'll note above, I never said he doesn't have a right to opine on such things. I just think the liberalism within the industry is getting stale. It used to be that musicians and artists were a voice among the minority. Now that the culture in America has shifted dramatically left, it seems as though everyone is just piling on. Oh - I do love radio music and I'm proud of it.
Ah I get what you're saying. Doin' the Dylan thing is not as unique anymore...
You love radio music and still listen to Kevin Devine? I've never heard that one before... power to you, though!
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums