Username
Password
AFI News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AFI
Inside AP.net

AFI Debuts in Top 10 of Billboard 200

Posted by: Jason Tate (10/30/13)
AFI's Burials will debut at number nine on the charts this week with a little over 25,000 sales.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
10:50 AM on 10/30/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Press ReleaseLos Angeles, CA (October 30, 2013) - Multiplatinum alt band AFI have entered Billboard’s Top 200 Album Chart at No. 9 and the iTunes Alternative Chart at No. 2 with their critically acclaimed new release, BURIALS.

Praised by the Los Angeles Times as an album of “ferocious rock performances,” BURIALS’ early success can be chalked up to lead single “17 Crimes” (the video for which can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Vh8XGgqjE) and a sold-out North American tour that generated fan excitement and rave reviews leading up to the album’s release.

About the tour’s electrifying kickoff show, Rolling Stone wrote, “L.A.’s venerable Troubadour has seen a lot of big-name acts in recent months, from Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails to Courtney Love. But none brought the rabid fan energy AFI drew last night…the entire crowd sang along and pumped their arms. It was the first time anybody could recall crowd-surfing and a barricade at the Troubadour.”

The album drew similar accolades, with Revolver proclaiming “it may be the most brilliant record AFI has ever made.” USA Today gave the album 3 stars (out of 4), Alternative Press gave it 4 stars (out of 5), Billboard lauded its “hefty instrumentals and soaring vocal melodies” and the Houston Chronicle called Burials a “truly career-encompassing record.”

Burials is AFI’s ninth full-length studio album and first for Republic Records. The Cali-based band recorded the album with producer Gil Norton (Pixies, Patti Smith, Foo Fighters) at East West Studios in Los Angeles. The record was mixed by Andrew Scheps (Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers).

Since the release of 1995’s debut album Answer That and Stay Fashionable, AFI have written and recorded five top ten hit singles (“Miss Murder,” “Medicate,” “Love Like Winter,” “Silver and Gold,” “Girl’s Not Grey”), hit No. 1 on The Billboard 200 (with the stunning Decemberunderground), garnered critical acclaim and amassed a fiercely loyal international following whose members number in the millions.

The band wraps its headlining tour this week with shows in Portland (Roseland Theatre), Seattle (The Showbox) and Vancouver (The Commodore Ballroom).
10:57 AM on 10/30/13
Vince Early
Size The Day
User Info.
Is there going to be a review of this album?
10:57 AM on 10/30/13
xdrummerxdudex
i am a legend
User Info.
Silver and Gold? Looks like their PR person doesn't know their artist.
10:58 AM on 10/30/13
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
So fucking good. Love this album.
11:09 AM on 10/30/13
signal to noise
User Info.
great album, one of my favorites of the year.
11:10 AM on 10/30/13
Ghostpsalm
Really Impressive Title
User Info.
Silver and Gold? Looks like their PR person doesn't know their artist.

hah! i noticed that too.

awesome record though. good for them.
11:19 AM on 10/30/13
thekinison
Use the fuckin pikey...
User Info.
All I've listened to since it came out. Great record.
11:23 AM on 10/30/13
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
Burials didn't really stick with me but I'm happy for this band being able to come back from a hiatus and actually sell some records. Always got love for AFI.
11:29 AM on 10/30/13
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
And SWS sold 60K on an indie?
11:31 AM on 10/30/13
TheAmoryWars
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Burials is more of a grower than their previous albums (at least the back-half), but that's good, because it'll stay fresh a bit longer.
11:33 AM on 10/30/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
Good for them.
11:44 AM on 10/30/13
parkerxcore
parker_anderson
User Info.
Such a great album. I'm surprised it didn't sell more though. Some indie bands are throwing up 20k and I would assume AFI would be able to double that.
12:12 PM on 10/30/13
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
A much better album than Crash Love, production-wise. As far as the songwriting goes, I don't understand all the praise compared to it's predecessor.
12:13 PM on 10/30/13
surgerone
User Info.
It's really interesting to see such an obvious sales peak with DU (pretty sure it hit a million?), and the degradation over the past seven years.

With that being said, I really like Burials (especially compared to Crash Love).
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums