Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

Foals are on the Anti-Spotify Wagon

Posted by: Jason Tate (10/30/13)
Foals would rather you steal vinyl than stream it on Spotify.
Id rather somebody stole the record on vinyl than bought it or streamed it on Spotify. I think you should listen to music on vinyl and I think basically anything is better than [Spotify].

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 57.
10:57 AM on 10/30/13
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
gonna go listen to holy fire

on spotify
11:00 AM on 10/30/13
dannylololol
Stay Hungry. Stay Free.
User Info.
brb gonna go steal some vinyl
11:07 AM on 10/30/13
TyroneShoolaces
User Info.
then or than?
11:08 AM on 10/30/13
signal to noise
User Info.
show that you don't support spotify by stealing from independent record stores. makes sense.
11:08 AM on 10/30/13
briantalife
Brian Marquis
User Info.
this has to be sacha baron cohen giving this interview...
11:22 AM on 10/30/13
mikenewsbears
Bad News Bears / Mike
User Info.

on spotify
Own 'Holy Fire' ON VINLY.

This album is Top 10 for me AOTY. Insanely underrated.
11:26 AM on 10/30/13
liennameerf
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't understand this mentality. Isn't a little money better than no money? I simply can't afford to buy an album off of every band I like.
11:37 AM on 10/30/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
I don't understand this mentality. Isn't a little money better than no money? I simply can't afford to buy an album off of every band I like.
Bands like this need to quit biting the hand that feeds. Spotify allows their audience to grow exponentially since every spotify user now has a chance to listen to their bands. Before spotify, I wouldn't ever bother to download music from some bands, much less purchase it, so the fact that I am now more likely to listen to new bands due to how easy it is, all while the band is getting payed for it (regardless of how little) is amazing.

You have the reach of illegal downloading while gaining a little bit of profit as the cherry on top of the exposure.

Instead of telling people to steal your music, begin using spotify as a way to get your music out regardless of who is getting payed, since the alternative involves nobody getting payed, or in this case, the record store taking a loss.

I hope this quote is out of context, because if not, it's a pretty dumb way of expressing your disapproval of Spotify.
11:53 AM on 10/30/13
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.

on spotify
Ditto
12:00 PM on 10/30/13
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
If I took this interview to a shop, I somehow doubt it would hold much weight.
12:06 PM on 10/30/13
j4callen
ummm
User Info.
show that you don't support spotify by stealing from independent record stores. makes sense.

Strictly from the bands point of view it makes sense because they were already paid for the records, haha. But stealing is not the answer.

Hey I just took your car out for a nice test drive, probably not going to return it though so here's $100. At least it's something right? You can buy a bike to get to work now. It's not a car, but you're still able to get to work. Enjoy!

But seriously I'm so conflicted on Spotify. I see both sides. Content creators need to be compensated more though. And when it comes to songwriters, they're basically losing tons of revenue. Most people just stream for free, never buy anything. % of subscribers is super low. And there's so many albums that the idea of being "discovered" through the service is laughable.
Punkdc
Some guy who enjoys stuff
User Info.
Put your money where your mouth is; give out the vinyl for free or shut up. If you hate it then don't use it. Don't take it away from people who enjoy it.
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
pretentious as fuuuuuuucccccckkkkk
12:19 PM on 10/30/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
I don't care what Foals thinks about people's listening or buying habits. Just like I didn't care what members of Radiohead, Pink Floyd, or even Metallica thought about it.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests