AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Killers News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Killers Aren't Fond of The American Music Scene

Posted by - 01:21 PM on 11/01/13
The Killers, in a new interview with The Sun, hit out at music in America. Maybe had a point until he ruined it.
I start to wonder, what do adults listen to? Do they listen to what's being played on the radio? You should listen to something that's for you - not about giving your virginity to your boyfriend on Saturday night. It is retarded. Every song is that song. And if 40-year-olds are listening to that rubbish, they're going to raise kids on it. It's not even music.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 224
01:29 PM on 11/01/13
zacharydudeman
Zach Dresch
User Info.
Spot on
01:32 PM on 11/01/13
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
I think they have a great point but it may potentially get lost in the flack they could receive for using the word "retarded" to describe the music. That's going to offend a few folks, I bet.
01:33 PM on 11/01/13
Beej 347
twitter.com/billrepublic
User Info.
Yeah pretty much.
01:38 PM on 11/01/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
I agree. Kind of childish to refer to it as retarded but most good music is ignored for recycled, label made hoopla.
01:40 PM on 11/01/13
BLeClair12
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Meh, I think there is still some quality music being played on the radio. Not a lot, but some. Probably more than five years ago, at least. There's been an indie-alternative trend (not totally unlike The Killers themselves) that has gained a lot of popularity in the last couple of years. At least stations are featuring more artists who write their own music. I'd say we've taken a step in the right direction.

I always advocate that people seek out music they enjoy and build a catalog based on their own opinions, but what I'm getting at is, if someone were to get their music entirely from top 40 today, I think they'd be subjected to more product of quality than someone who did the same five years ago.

And the point really does get lost when they drop the word "retarded" on multiple occasions. I just find the word to come off as rather unintelligent and ignorant. I don't really follow The Killers much, but isn't Brandon Flowers known for being a massive jackass?
01:55 PM on 11/01/13
DecemberFaded
Streets ahead.
User Info.
Meh, I think there is still some quality music being played on the radio. Not a lot, but some. Probably more than five years ago, at least. There's been an indie-alternative trend (not totally unlike The Killers themselves) that has gained a lot of popularity in the last couple of years. At least stations are featuring more artists who write their own music. I'd say we've taken a step in the right direction.

I always advocate that people seek out music they enjoy and build a catalog based on their own opinions, but what I'm getting at is, if someone were to get their music entirely from top 40 today, I think they'd be subjected to more product of quality than someone who did the same five years ago.

And the point really does get lost when they drop the word "retarded" on multiple occasions. I just find the word to come off as rather unintelligent and ignorant. I don't really follow The Killers much, but isn't Brandon Flowers known for being a massive jackass?
I agree with you that using the word sounds ignorant.

Brandon was known for being a huge asshole for several years--attacking other bands, artists, music, etc. etc. But he's since admitted that so much of what he did was wrong and that he contacted those specific artists privately and apologized.

Great dude. Great band. Amazing last album. Bummed I have to wait so long to hear his solo album though.
01:56 PM on 11/01/13
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
if you read what he's talking about, the dictionary definition of the adjective "retarded" fits pretty much exactly how he describes things on mainstream radio ("less advanced in mental,...or social development than is usual for one's age"). when the publications pulls it out into a headline like that, it makes it look worse than it should. don't make a big deal where there isn't one to be made.
02:03 PM on 11/01/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
if you read what he's talking about, the dictionary definition of the adjective "retarded" fits pretty much exactly how he describes things on mainstream radio ("less advanced in mental,...or social development than is usual for one's age"). when the publications pulls it out into a headline like that, it makes it look worse than it should. don't make a big deal where there isn't one to be made.
The term is offensive. Even the definition you supplied couldn't apply to music (human development =/= "lyrics I don't like")
02:04 PM on 11/01/13
JoeForPresident
Vocals/Guitar - Modern Chemistry
User Info.
i agree.
i hate when people just totally disregard the real meaning of a statement because someone used the 'wrong word'. even though i agree it shouldn't be used as a degrading or negative term, i also think it's ignorant to judge someone off the use of that word in one statement.
02:05 PM on 11/01/13
hiddentrack
I feel fine when you’re in my head.
User Info.
Yep, ruined it.
02:05 PM on 11/01/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Brandon is an asshole. People can listen to whatever they enjoy. Also, using the r-word in that way is wrong.
02:06 PM on 11/01/13
jpmalone4
Avoid Eye Contact Monthly
User Info.
The 40-year-olds I know listen to the classic rock station. There really isn't any station in NYC/NJ that would play the Killers anymore. Z100 might play like, Mr. Brightside on occasion.
02:11 PM on 11/01/13
j4callen
User Info.
How thoughtful.
02:12 PM on 11/01/13
streetcar
User Info.
brandon is retarded..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives