AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 503
04:12 PM on 11/05/13
Star Slight
User Info.
What Drake is doing is nothing new...LL Cool J did it years ago but better... Fabolous and to lesser Extent Nelly has done the same thing. Kanye West is dismissed the moment it was revealed he didnt even write Jesus Walks and mostly because no one who a truly a fan of the art of rapping would consider Kanye a dope or lyrical MC. Danny Brown is not even considered a top 10 MC out of detroit and has one of the worst annoying voices in hiphop combine B Real and Cee Lo and you have Danny Brown voice with half the lyrical skill or good music to back it up.
My dude what are you talking about? You're exactly the person my diatribe was based on. Drake and LL Cool J are not at all similar in terms of tone of music or style or just about anything. Fabolous and Nelly? I'm honestly baffled at how you view Drake.

Kanye is dismissed because he had a ghostwriter on one of his songs? No one who is truly a fan of the art of rapping? Who gives a shit about the art of rapping anymore? It's 2013. You're the dude that shits on a punk band for not knowing how to play their instruments.

Danny Brown's XXX is one of the most versatile, impressive, dark, experimental hip hop releases in a long, long time. You call his voice annoying, I call it unique. It appeals to me.
04:13 PM on 11/05/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
04:14 PM on 11/05/13
OFWGKTA
I'm the #1 Bitch
User Info.
Star Slight
User Info.
MY point still stands..you follow you are not a part of it. It more than just music...hiphop encompasses how one dresses, talks, and acts. Even if you given the album a perfect 10 and hailed as the years best I would still take it with a grain of salt.
I missed this. No need to continue the conversation with a viewpoint like this
OFWGKTA
I'm the #1 Bitch
User Info.
This getting a lower rating than Recovery did does confuse me though

I just wish his flow didn't sound so awkwardly forced sometimes...
04:20 PM on 11/05/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
And just for the record, co-writing isn't really "ghost writing." It's not like the writers aren't right there in ASCAP -- not like it's hidden information or something.

Eminem has co-writers on most of his songs too.

04:26 PM on 11/05/13
nujerz1984
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My dude what are you talking about? You're exactly the person my diatribe was based on. Drake and LL Cool J are not at all similar in terms of tone of music or style or just about anything. Fabolous and Nelly? I'm honestly baffled at how you view Drake.

Kanye is dismissed because he had a ghostwriter on one of his songs? No one who is truly a fan of the art of rapping? Who gives a shit about the art of rapping anymore? It's 2013. You're the dude that shits on a punk band for not knowing how to play their instruments.

Danny Brown's XXX is one of the most versatile, impressive, dark, experimental hip hop releases in a long, long time. You call his voice annoying, I call it unique. It appeals to me.

The fact that you dont care about the art of rapping considering this what the genre is based on is why hiphop music is trash and you continue to hear the same garbage all day on hiphop radio. Drake whole career to me is a slap in the face of what the origins and of what hiphop is about.. LL Cool J like Drake rhymed about ladies and women but unlike Drake, LL Cool J and like I mentioned to lesser Extent Fabolous and even Nelly and Ja Rule (singing/Harmonizing songs geared towards teens and women) did it without aliening a male audience especially those from the streets (you know where hiphop came from).

As a grown ass man that older than Drake that actually been thru some tough things his whole Started From The Bottom notion is laughble. I take it further Drake Marvin Room no man alive should say that a good song. Cause in Real Life if you find your girlfriend, wife or fiance getting texts, and voicemails from her EX saying "Fuck that man that your with right now" it going to be major problems. Drake is the first male rapper to pretty much rhyme from a female perspective.. He comes off as a guy whose a sucker for love type dude. That to me is not progression.

Regarding Danny Brown if your voice is horrible to listen to you get no burn and he has one of the worst voices in hiphop.
04:26 PM on 11/05/13
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
My dude... did you see his performance of "Rap God" at the Youtube awards? Can *you* rap like that?

Eminem has got the respect of mostly everyone in the game, old and new: Kool G Rap, Tech N9ne, Kendrick Lamar, Talib Kweli, Jay-Z. That single-handedly should tell you that he deserves to be in the conversation of rap music's influence anytime, anywhere. Also, let me just end by sharing my one current criticism about this album: his homophobia and misogyny on the MMLP somehow seemed apt and critical to the "Shady" persona he wanted to put out there.... but the homophobia and misogyny here just seems too fabricated and unintelligent for a 40-year old father in 2013. He should know better by now, and there's no excuse for it.
You're missing the point of what I'm saying. I'm saying that the entire scale is messed up. It has no idea how well you can rap on rhythm really fast if the rhythms you're making don't add anything to the beat in any way. The reason MCing is an art is because of the juxtaposition of the rhythms from the beat and the rhythms of the rapper's flow. Eminem hasn't written anything to do so in a long time, and (this part right here is me just thinking and putting it out there as I think about it) it may have part to do with his voice change since The Eminem Show. I'm thinking back to SSLP and MMLP and the slickness of his voice over the beats help disguise some off juxtapositions that become really apparent when he raps now. (end random thought) And yes he does deserve to be in the conversation, which is why this is such a topic right now.
04:27 PM on 11/05/13
Star Slight
User Info.
If we're gonna talk about "real hip hop" reviews, the only two that I've read have come from Hip Hop DX and XXL.

Both are pretty damn awful and confusing, too. Hip Hop DX spends 3/4 the review trashing the album, then references his apology to his mom, then says it tarnishes the first one but gives it a 4/5.

XXL is a little more positive but also super lazy. The compliments are about how you're thrown off by the weird beat selection but listen to it 5 or 6 times and you'll know every word! Weak
04:28 PM on 11/05/13
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
The fact that you dont care about the art of rapping considering this what the genre is based on is why hiphop music is trash and you continue to hear the same garbage all day on hiphop radio. Drake whole career to me is a slap in the face of what the origins and of what hiphop is about.. LL Cool J like Drake rhymed about ladies and women but unlike Drake, LL Cool J and like I mentioned to lesser Extent Fabolous and even Nelly and Ja Rule (singing/Harmonizing songs geared towards teens and women) did it without aliening a male audience especially those from the streets (you know where hiphop came from).

As a grown ass man that older than Drake that actually been thru some tough things his whole Started From The Bottom notion is laughble. I take it further Drake Marvin Room no man alive should say that a good song. Cause in Real Life if you find your girlfriend, wife or fiance getting texts, and voicemails from her EX saying "Fuck that man that your with right now" it going to be major problems. Drake is the first male rapper to pretty much rhyme from a female perspective.. He comes off as a guy whose a sucker for love type dude. That to me is not progression.

Regarding Danny Brown if your voice is horrible to listen to you get no burn and he has one of the worst voices in hiphop.
So basically what you're saying is Drake has what would be considered a sensitive approach (that you say has been done before but then say has not been done like Drake has done it) so he's not progressing hip hop.
04:30 PM on 11/05/13
Star Slight
User Info.

Hip hop is not based on the art of rapping anymore. Rock music is not based on the drums. Drake is alienating a male audience from the streets? Why? Because dudes from the street think they're too hard to listen to Drake? That's a ridiculous statement to make.

You've got this macho man attitude towards hip hop that lends itself directly into the homophobia and misogyny that Em cultivates in his music. It's laughable in 2013 that dudes need to put on that facade.

You've got a totally different mindset in terms of an artist's use of emotions on a record, so different that it's pointless to try to talk about it with you
04:32 PM on 11/05/13
nujerz1984
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And just for the record, co-writing isn't really "ghost writing." It's not like the writers aren't right there in ASCAP -- not like it's hidden information or something.

Eminem has co-writers on most of his songs too.

Horrible point... 50 Cent is featured on Crack a Bottle and Performed lyrics he wrote... Producers and Musicians get writing credits even if they didnt write a single lyric (if its a beat that is sampled from another artist the original artist also gets writer credits). If some one actually writes your rhymes and you claim to be a mc/rapper then you are a fraud and your career would be pretty much over .. This not a singer whose talent is in his/her siniging voice which is why many of the all time singers some didn't write the lyrics songs the voice is the talent. What distinguishes one mc from another is the ability to come up with your own rhymes.
04:35 PM on 11/05/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Horrible point... 50 Cent is featured on Crack a Bottle and Performed lyrics he wrote... Producers and Musicians get writing credits even if they didnt write a single lyric (if its a beat that is sampled from another artist the original artist also gets writer credits). If some one actually writes your rhymes and you claim to be a mc/rapper then you are a fraud and your career would be pretty much over .. This not a singer whose talent is in his/her siniging voice which is why many of the all time singers some didn't write the lyrics songs the voice is the talent. What distinguishes one mc from another is the ability to come up with your own rhymes.
You mentioned one of 7 "writers" there. I pulled one example because literally every single song by Eminem has co-writers on it, something I was simply bringing up to point out all this information is readily available. As is information like Grandmaster Caz and "Rappers Delight" -- and let's not get carried away -- we're not talking about anyone who has someone else "write all their rhymes" for them. The co-write or whatever argument is dumb as dumb can be in this day and age. Especially given the creative output of the artists in question, or Rhymefest's disclosed contribution to "Jesus Walks."
04:42 PM on 11/05/13
nujerz1984
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hip hop is not based on the art of rapping anymore. Rock music is not based on the drums. Drake is alienating a male audience from the streets? Why? Because dudes from the street think they're too hard to listen to Drake? That's a ridiculous statement to make.

You've got this macho man attitude towards hip hop that lends itself directly into the homophobia and misogyny that Em cultivates in his music. It's laughable in 2013 that dudes need to put on that facade.

You've got a totally different mindset in terms of an artist's use of emotions on a record, so different that it's pointless to try to talk about it with you

Says who? That the kind of mentality of a person that been brainwashed by the powers at be that value production and chorus over rhymes with substance and context.

The streets is where hiphop is from,originated and for the most part still pure ...and sadly no longer a reflection of what the culture is about. This is systemic by powers at be who have no connection with hiphop and this is a major problem sorry for a musical genre and culture I care about I'm not going to let some Jimmy or Jennifer from Orange County dictate what hiphop is. Its deeper than Eminem or a Drake.

Let me ask you a question..what would your initial reaction be if you were to find out that your partner ex was leaving text messages and voices mails saying pretty much shitting on you and saying fuck you trying to win him/her back? This has nothing to do with machiosim most folks would pretty upset and pissed off about it.
04:48 PM on 11/05/13
Star Slight
User Info.
Says who? That the kind of mentality of a person that been brainwashed by the powers at be that value production and chorus over rhymes with substance and context.

The streets is where hiphop is from,originated and for the most part still pure ...and sadly no longer a reflection of what the culture is about. This is systemic by powers at be who have no connection with hiphop and this is a major problem sorry for a musical genre and culture I care about I'm not going to let some Jimmy or Jennifer from Orange County dictate what hiphop is. Its deeper than Eminem or a Drake.

Let me ask you a question..what would your initial reaction be if you were to find out that your partner ex was leaving text messages and voices mails saying pretty much shitting on you and saying fuck you trying to win him/her back? This has nothing to do with machiosim most folks would pretty upset and pissed off about it.
I need to be brainwashed to value "Production and chorus" over rhymes? I mean not once did I say that I prefer those things to rhymes, just that the actual act of "rapping" is not the only reason to like the music. Eminem is not saying anything worth any sort of substance in his music at this point. Rap God was a whole lot of nothing with some style flaked on. The only positive points in this album are when he does grapple with some sort of demons, and they're pressed between fart jokes and outdated Pop Culture references. You shit on a dude like Danny Brown because of his voice but you're ignoring his rhymes with substance and context. He has some of the deepest, realest rhymes in current hip hop. Listen to a track where his voice is less abrasive.

The streets is such an abstract concept. There's no set definition on what "the streets" mean. It's a meaningless saying. Why is it important to not voice emotions in hip hop music? Why can't someone just pick up a mic and spit what they feel? How is that not hip hop? What gives a dude like Nas the credentials to be able to spit but a dude like Drake can't? Because Nas grew up poor and Drake didn't? Is it a poverty thing? Only poor dudes can rap? Only street thugs who slang rock can rap? That's ridiculous and once again an arbitrary line being drawn for no reason other than to exclude.

On a base level, why is it not okay for Drake to pick up a mic, rap a song about how he feels about his girl and release it? Why does that not sit well with you? Even if plenty of people out there can somehow relate to what he's saying, why is it still not okay?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos