Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 499.
08:56 PM on 11/04/13
CircaSin
The All-New 2014 Corolla
User Info.
dicks butt kiss....dick butkus. If you are going to pick at his lines at least understand the pun first.
Not huge on this album either way. Still love when he goes into complex rhymes and some of his oddball references are refreshing when compared to new school rappers tendencies to use the same shit.
Too often am I rolling my eyes at something he says though, and that can be said for most of his tracks this past decade.
08:58 PM on 11/04/13
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
it's a well written review but we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think this is a good album.

you specifically called out Stronger Than I Was as laughable, whereas I love it. you talk about how the only redeeming thing about the album is how he raps well, but what about all the things he's doing differently, with tracks like Stronger Than I Was or So Far? those two are definitely in the top half of the album.
It's plodding rhythm, his voice is strained in all the wrong ways, there's nothing to suggest even an iota of genuine feeling behind it. It comes off as something that he either felt he "had" to write for emotional cred or something. It's still littered with the same stupid bullshit he's saying on the other fifteen tracks.

I really can't fathom finding anything about "So Far" enjoyable haha. Everything about it seems slapped together in the most careless way and without any kind of consideration for a song should actually be structured and divided up into suites/compartments. Instead it's like he stitched together the most irritating traditions in rock music without thinking about what the final product would look like.
While i understand this, why do people give OF a pass on the homophobic shit in their music just because they have Frank Ocean? I find that just as hard to work through..

Most people don't give OF a pass on it.
08:59 PM on 11/04/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
the only important OF member that's still caught up in homophobic language is tyler
09:00 PM on 11/04/13
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
dicks butt kiss....dick butkus. If you are going to pick at his lines at least understand the pun first.
Not huge on this album either way. Still love when he goes into complex rhymes and some of his oddball references are refreshing when compared to new school rappers tendencies to use the same shit.
Too often am I rolling my eyes at something he says though, and that can be said for most of his tracks this past decade.
I literally just copy/pasted the lyrics from a website haha. I didn't even think to check if the pun was accurate. If RG had been available, well...

It's still a pun on butt kiss from a grown ass man in 2013.
09:02 PM on 11/04/13
FTank
I just want to sell out my funeral.
User Info.
I probably won't check this album out, but great review.
09:03 PM on 11/04/13
surette
kill the switch
User Info.
It's plodding rhythm, his voice is strained in all the wrong ways, there's nothing to suggest even an iota of genuine feeling behind it. It comes off as something that he either felt he "had" to write for emotional cred or something. It's still littered with the same stupid bullshit he's saying on the other fifteen tracks.

I really can't fathom finding anything about "So Far" enjoyable haha. Everything about it seems slapped together in the most careless way and without any kind of consideration for a song should actually be structured and divided up into suites/compartments. Instead it's like he stitched together the most irritating traditions in rock music without thinking about what the final product would look like.
I dunno, I felt something from it. I don't find this album as dialed in as a lot of people here seem to. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like Em is pretty self-aware, even going so far on Recovery to apologize for Relapse and Encore; he's trying to prove to himself and his fans that he's still one of the greatest ever, not just putting out an album for a payday.

as for So Far, upon first listen I was just like "what the fuck is even happening on this track?" but I think the whole album and that song in particular absolutely get better with every listen.
09:06 PM on 11/04/13
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
I dunno, I felt something from it. I don't find this album as dialed in as a lot of people here seem to. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like Em is pretty self-aware, even going so far on Recovery to apologize for Relapse and Encore; he's trying to prove to himself and his fans that he's still one of the greatest ever, not just putting out an album for a payday.

as for So Far, upon first listen I was just like "what the fuck is even happening on this track?" but I think the whole album and that song in particular absolutely get better with every listen.
I mean, hey, more power to you if it works for you. I just find it irritating after 10 tracks preceding it filled with various degrees of garbage haha. He's definitely self aware, but it's not helping him at all. If anything it's just making him cater to what he *thinks* he should be making, which as we see here, is a pretty boring retread of a lot of the thematic content he already explored and conquered fourteen years ago.

I keep listening out of morbid curiosity haha
09:06 PM on 11/04/13
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
I probably won't check this album out, but great review.
Thanks dude
09:13 PM on 11/04/13
CircaSin
The All-New 2014 Corolla
User Info.
the only important OF member that's still caught up in homophobic language is tyler
Some would say he's the only important member but, if you want to count Earl... I guess he can hang a sign that reads "It's been [1] release since my last homophobic slur." congratulations!
09:22 PM on 11/04/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
scores too high
09:27 PM on 11/04/13
ChaseTx
Entitled user
User Info.
I gave it up after the first paragraph; Jay Z hasn't released a bad album, and his rapping abilities outweigh those of Eminem
09:31 PM on 11/04/13
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
I gave it up after the first paragraph; Jay Z hasn't released a bad album, and his rapping abilities outweigh those of Eminem
This is something I never expected to read.
09:32 PM on 11/04/13
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
09:38 PM on 11/04/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
Some would say he's the only important member but, if you want to count Earl... I guess he can hang a sign that reads "It's been [1] release since my last homophobic slur." congratulations!
what's your point?
10:13 PM on 11/04/13
The_Effort
User Info.
Really well written review, and I agree with nearly all the points made.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests