AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Falling Red - 10.31.13

Interviewed by
Falling Red - 10.31.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Falling Red
https://www.facebook.com/fallingredofficial

1.How did you get your band name?
We were in bar one night having just formed the new band, a band with no name... So we got the drinks in, wrote loads of names/ideas on bits of paper stuck 'em in a hat, the first one was shit... the next one was ok... but then the third was what we are now! Falling Red was born. It doesn't really have any meaning, we just liked the sound of it!

2. How did this band get started?
Since 2007, Falling Red, have in one form or another, been standing tall on the UK rock scene and have toured the arse out of the UK and parts of Europe. Rozey and Dave met at a Slipknot/Slayer gig and hit it off over enjoying the same styles of music. A few line-up changes in and Falling Red has the current roster of Rozey; lead vocal/lead guitar, Dave Sanders; drums, Jade Starr; guitar and Dann Marx; bass. Dann and Jayde joined late 2011, bringing with them a new direction for the band to reach bigger heights. We put an ad in the newspaper and from all the way across the other side of the country in Newcastle, we got a reply. These two guys came over to Carlisle
and we jammed. As luck would have it they fit musically right away and I think you will agree from the new pictures that the look is right too.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Where to begin...? We can't write down all the names but there's so much rock, metal, rap and blues in there... from the 50s to present day we listen to such diversity it at times shocks people to what we do listen to! There's always a common ground influence we enjoy like Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, KISS, Motley Crue, Backyard Babies etc. But you should always listen to something at least once! You never know, you may enjoy it!

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
We'd personally love to do a tour with the likes of KISS or Motley Crue, great tunes, and for the stage theatrics. It's not only about listening to the songs, but the visual aspect you enjoy as well, you have to hit all the senses. We'd learn so much from them. On a smaller scale a tour with the Backyard Babies would be unreal! We love the sweaty rock club vibe of packed venues just going nuts! We've seen them guys a few times & they just bring this energy and participation to their shows.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
After a show it has to be warm! haha!! Cold food sucks after a show! So unfortunately (it ain't the healthiest we know) the only thing around is takeaway/kebab shops... But during the day we try to find the cheap meal deals at pub chains :) if we can't get that we go for GREGGS!!

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We are a little different/quirky to the usual bands out there. After one taste you'll want another. But if you love hard rock, metal, sleaze rock, anything guitar based, then you'll dig us! We have such a diverse fanbase as we cross so many genres with our music. You can't pigeonhole us, and we love that. We always write what we feel just comes naturally, nothing is pre-conceived as that just stifles the creative flow. So crank the volume, hit play, and enjoy!

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
As I'm the only one here... I'll say Usain Bolt! To run that fast...sweet!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I'd thank the fans. You are nothing without their support. They are the ones who make you or break you. Then I'd thank my band mates as without each other we wouldn't be where we are.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Eradicating the people that exploit the bands who work hard. There are so many rip off merchants out there who want to drain a band of cash and then leave 'em dry so they can move on to the next. The other I suppose would be illegal downloading. Some people out there expect all this "expensively made music" to be free. For bands like us who have used our own money for all our past recordings and just lately a fan funded album (we recently completed a pledgemusic campaign), it really hits us hard. So many bands we have gigged with/toured with end up being broke n splitting up due to no cash coming in from sales which then gets invested back into the band for
new recordings. It's like an artist exhibiting paintings and people just taking them off the walls and leaving with them for free... how's he going to paint the next batch with no money to buy materials?

10. Memorable tour experience?
Well we have two...we did a tour with an American band called Dirty Penny in 2010 I think. It was the most close knit tour we ever had with a band. We shared the floors we slept on, we ate together, drove to the shows together, partied together till the early hours and of course played some amazing shows up and down UK. We still stay in touch as we become mates with 'em all. The other was of course the UK tour with Steel Panther in November last year. We played some of the most prestigious venues there is, especially the Hammersmith Apollo in London. Every night was totally rammed and we went down a storm each show. We made really good friends with the guys in Steel Panther, the road crew and their management. We had a couple of nights out with them and hung out backstage with them a quite a bit. We recently spoke to them as well, they got our new album in the post and LOVE IT!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
As it's run by genuine fans of music, it means you get what you want to hear about them, nothing diluted! Nothing gets ignored! The sites a great way to discover new music and keep up to date with your favorite acts.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
At the moment I think we all love to play the current title track from our new album Empire Of The Damned - it's got so many elements of the music we all love.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
For me I'd say Italy, I love the food, the wine, the girls, the weather, and the laid back nature of it all :)

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I'd probably say quite a bit of the eighties/early nineties music due to my aunties/uncles looking after me when the folks were out. I'd be there messing around with toys and games with the TV on in the back ground with Top of the Pops or the chart show on. Such a huge diversity in tunes - dance, pop, rock, punk, grunge, just loads going on!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Invisibility! You could go any where, do anything and no one would know...

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really, we like to warm up and chill a bit, have a couple of drinks, stick on some tunes, then get ready to explode!! Waiting around is the hardest thing to do!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Rozey loves Krav Maga (Israeli form of self defense) and messing around with artworks/painting. Dann Marx runs his own clothing line and creative business and he loves skateboarding. Dave Sanders is in the Guinness book of records! He was one of 800 drummers who made up the largest drum ensemble ever in 2013, he also likes to collect obscure stuff and loves taxidermy! Jayde Starr likes getting creative with clothes and customizes a lot of the things he wears.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Every now and then you hear some great tracks, but most of the time especially in the UK the amount of pop/boyband trash is just insane and for some reason the UK public tolerates this brain rotting crap. I'd like to think we could flourish on the radio, we've been on a few national digital stations, but we haven't landed on the big ones yet. I think it's all down to contacts and possibly again...money. If you got the cash you buy your way into the play schedule.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to chill watching movies - horror mostly, I like painting and of course doing Krav Maga. But I've always got a guitar near by... that's where most tunes come from the spontaneous inspiration we sometimes get!

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I don't think we really have any amazing hidden talents...possibly entering our room after a heavy night out the atmosphere could kill you? Haha! Don't know how many other bands could actually claim to making a room maid physically sick from the air... that's talent ;)

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests