Username
Password
Money News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Money
Inside AP.net

The Classic Crime Fund Next Album

Posted by: Jason Tate (11/13/13)
The Classic Crime's next album has been fully funded via Kickstarter.

Submitted by B.Leibo

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
01:45 PM on 11/13/13
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
haha so far beyond fully funded. Asked for $15,000 and got over $50,000! Not bad. Wonder where all the bandwagon jerkoffs are who tried to drive a negative "media" frenzy around the last time their fans happily decided to fund their music.
01:58 PM on 11/13/13
B.Leibo
User Info.
After seeing the live acoustic set and the potential their last album showed, I was more than happy to contribute to this one.
02:07 PM on 11/13/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
Hoping this is in the vein of Seattle Sessions. Can't wait to hear it.
02:09 PM on 11/13/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
We have exclusives from this on LOCK. Better believe it.
02:17 PM on 11/13/13
B.Leibo
User Info.
We have exclusives from this on LOCK. Better believe it.
Already? Haha wastes no time.
03:44 PM on 11/13/13
Sanzen
Ricocheting
User Info.
haha so far beyond fully funded. Asked for $15,000 and got over $50,000! Not bad. Wonder where all the bandwagon jerkoffs are who tried to drive a negative "media" frenzy around the last time their fans happily decided to fund their music.
I'm sorry, but this is fucked up.

You guys just paid an already successful band to re-record an album full of songs you've already heard, and then paid them an extra $40,000 for doing absolutely fucking nothing.

You gave charity to a group of people that didn't even need it.

So yeah, you go ahead and keep tooting your own horn. Congrats. Great bands that are forced to break up because they can't even sustain touring will just be over there not existing.. and yes, I'm bitter.

I'll be looking forward to the $100,000 Kickstarter for "Volume 2."
04:09 PM on 11/13/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

You guys just paid an already successful band to re-record an album full of songs you've already heard, and then paid them an extra $40,000 for doing absolutely fucking nothing.

So yeah, you go ahead and keep tooting your own horn. Congrats. Great bands that are forced to break up because they can't even sustain touring will just be over there not existing.. and yes, I'm bitter.

... you realize that Kickstarter just demonstrates demand, right?

Any of the "great bands that are forced to break up" have Kickstarter as an option.

Never, ever criticize fans for supporting music.
04:20 PM on 11/13/13
Sanzen
Ricocheting
User Info.
... you realize that Kickstarter just demonstrates demand, right?

Any of the "great bands that are forced to break up" have Kickstarter as an option.

Never, ever criticize fans for supporting music.
I'm not criticizing fans supporting music.

I'm criticizing this band for taking advantage of their supporters by overvaluing a product that not only doesn't exist, but is already demonstrably not worth the cost of investment when compared to the releases of most other artists.

It's great advertising, but bad business.
04:48 PM on 11/13/13
strikefirefall
User Info.

I don't know how successful they can be when the band isn't even full time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the members have regular jobs to pay their bills.

I read something some time ago about the lead singer doing catering?
05:10 PM on 11/13/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not criticizing fans supporting music.

I'm criticizing this band for taking advantage of their supporters by overvaluing a product that not only doesn't exist, but is already demonstrably not worth the cost of investment when compared to the releases of most other artists.

It's great advertising, but bad business.
Taking advantage of their supporters?

They're literally doing the most customer-minded thing - allowing fans to decide if the thing is even made.

I wish more bands took this route.
06:23 PM on 11/13/13
Sanzen
Ricocheting
User Info.
Taking advantage of their supporters?

They're literally doing the most customer-minded thing - allowing fans to decide if the thing is even made.

I wish more bands took this route.

I agree, if they price the products fairly.

There is a massive discrepancy between the cost it takes to produce their things (the recording, merch, arbitrary services like a mention in liner notes) and the prices they're charging for the things to be made. I'm talking a cushion of $10-$15 for every $25~ pledge. This is likely in an effort to reach the goal more quickly, but it's also a little thing the commerce industry likes to call price gouging.

This forces the fan to either let the project go unfunded (making the fans liable for the artist's lack of output) or to pay almost twice what they normally would for a product they can't even know will be worth the investment.

Defend it if you want, but that's a scam.
06:42 PM on 11/13/13
Jake Denning
User Info.

I don't think you understand. Matt (and the others) lead very humble lives, they don't have the money to just throw at a project like this.
06:42 PM on 11/13/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
I don't know how successful they can be when the band isn't even full time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the members have regular jobs to pay their bills.

I read something some time ago about the lead singer doing catering?

Matt does catering, yes.
06:48 PM on 11/13/13
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
I agree, if they price the products fairly.

There is a massive discrepancy between the cost it takes to produce their things (the recording, merch, arbitrary services like a mention in liner notes) and the prices they're charging for the things to be made. I'm talking a cushion of $10-$15 for every $25~ pledge. This is likely in an effort to reach the goal more quickly, but it's also a little thing the commerce industry likes to call price gouging.

This forces the fan to either let the project go unfunded (making the fans liable for the artist's lack of output) or to pay almost twice what they normally would for a product they can't even know will be worth the investment.

Defend it if you want, but that's a scam.
You're forgetting one thing - worth is established based on how much someone will pay for it. I understand what you're saying; that are definitely bands out there who ask for too much on Kickstarter (Eisley's recent controversial Kickstarter campaign comes to mind) and there are projects out there who do "charge" a hefty amount for a "reward". But if someone is willing to pay $25 for a CD that you could normally get for $10-$12, that means that for that individual that reward was worth $25. No one "forces" the fan to do anything. They pledge based on how much they're willing to give. Specifically for this TCC campaign, over 1,400 fans wanted to give one of their favorite bands $10+ so that they could hear this album.

I think you're taking out a lot of aggression toward crowdsourcing unnecessarily on a project that was wildly successful and that the rewards were very competitively priced. I can understand your general unhappiness on KS as a whole, but don't point it at a band's fans who love their music enough to pledge $50k to hear it.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests