Username
Password
Money News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Money
Inside AP.net

Ian Curtis' Kitchen Table Sells for $13k

Posted by: Jason Tate (11/14/13)
Ian Curtis' kitchen table has sold for over 13,000 dollars on eBay.
Joy Division original members Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris would like to lend their voice of support to Deborah and Natalie Curtis, who have been caused great distress over media reporting of the sale of the table originally owned by the family, and currently being auctioned on eBay. Deborah and Natalie would like to point out that the sale of this table has nothing whatsoever to do with them. The table was sold along with the house in 1980 and Natalie has never signed any authentication document. Furthermore, they consider the sale of a personal family item, and the subsequent media reporting, to be distasteful and upsetting.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
11:17 AM on 11/14/13
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.
People will buy ANYTHING.
11:18 AM on 11/14/13
Ghostpsalm
Really Impressive Title
User Info.
I was in a band called Carson Red when I was 13 and I would like to sell my kitchen table. 50? Any takers? I'll even throw in a high five and some bazooka bubble gum!
11:20 AM on 11/14/13
Ryan Dennehy
fuck this
11:22 AM on 11/14/13
brettrsd
User Info.
They originally sold the table, along with the house...This isn't different than the 1+ million items of ebay and craigslist....
11:44 AM on 11/14/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
...someone is very depressed and has a lot of money to blow on items related to their misery. dumb.
11:46 AM on 11/14/13
Robb
ism
User Info.
My bid of $14.99 got sniped at the last second, apparently.
11:47 AM on 11/14/13
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
I hope it's at least a sturdy table.
11:48 AM on 11/14/13
sjb2k1
User Info.
if it was distasteful then why did they sell the table with the house

i mean sorry but it is what it is
12:03 PM on 11/14/13
Robb
ism
User Info.
if it was distasteful then why did they sell the table with the house

i mean sorry but it is what it is
And to the seller's credit, he could have made the ad very sleazy by specifying the table's location's importance. "IAN CURTIS TABLE - INCHES FROM HIS HANGED BODY."

So he made some money, and a very obsessed JD fan (or possibly a re-seller, if they think it could go for more) got a very unique item. There's grey areas there, to be sure, but I don't have a problem with it. I would, however, find it distasteful if the buyer re-sells it using the very tactics this seller avoided.
12:13 PM on 11/14/13
sjb2k1
User Info.
And to the seller's credit, he could have made the ad very sleazy by specifying the table's location's importance. "IAN CURTIS TABLE - INCHES FROM HIS HANGED BODY."

So he made some money, and a very obsessed JD fan (or possibly a re-seller, if they think it could go for more) got a very unique item. There's grey areas there, to be sure, but I don't have a problem with it. I would, however, find it distasteful if the buyer re-sells it using the very tactics this seller avoided.
yeeep

that said i'm still amazed that a table, regardless of previous ownership, sold for $13k.
12:16 PM on 11/14/13
Robb
ism
User Info.
yeeep

that said i'm still amazed that a table, regardless of previous ownership, sold for $13k.
I get the feeling that the winner understood the table's significance. It'd be like buying a plant pot from the greenhouse where Cobain died.

It's morbid as hell, but the uniqueness and importance can't be denied.
12:17 PM on 11/14/13
sjb2k1
User Info.
I get the feeling that the winner understood the table's significance. It'd be like buying a plant pot from the greenhouse where Cobain died.

It's morbid as hell, but the uniqueness and importance can't be denied.
i quite possibly just might be jealous that someone has 13k to spend on anything.
12:34 PM on 11/14/13
10secondsinLA
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was in a band called Carson Red when I was 13 and I would like to sell my kitchen table. 50? Any takers? I'll even throw in a high five and some bazooka bubble gum!
Maybe if you wrote the lyrics to two of the most seminal, important and influential albums since the genesis of rock music

And then kill yourself on the eve of your first overseas tour. Yeah, try that.
12:38 PM on 11/14/13
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
This seems like such a non-issue. The dude sold his table and some asshat bought it for $13k. I'm failing to see any problem with this.

I mean, at the end of the day, its just a table.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests