Username
Password
Fall Out Boy News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Fall Out Boy
Inside AP.net

Andy Hurley (Fall Out Boy) Apologizes for T-Shirt

Posted by: Jason Tate (11/16/13)
Andy Hurley of Fall Out Boy has apologized for the t-shirt he wore on the upcoming Victoria's Secret Fashion Show shoot. The shirt in question, which Hurley was dressed in by the show's costume department, featured the Japanese rising sun flag -- the flag was used by the Japanese in "the conquest and occupation of East Asia and during the war in the Pacific, it is considered offensive in South Korea and China where it is considered to be associated with Japanese militarism and imperialism." Andy posted on his Twitter account: "I take responsibility for wearing something so offensive. I’ll be sure to personally review costumes in advance in the future."

Update: Andy and his friend Jennifer Raff posted up a longer post going into more detail about the symbol and why it's considered offensive -- hoping to raise some more awareness on this issue.
I had the opportunity to play the Victoria’s Secret fashion show, which was such an amazing thing to be a part of. The outfits we wore were necessarily styled to fit in with our part of the show, which emphasized a British invasion look…so we were styled in a Sex Pistols-style British punk attire. I had no problem with this, as the purview of the fashion world is way outside of my comfort zone. Unfortunately, the shirt that was chosen for me was the image of the rising sun and was an extremely insensitive choice. I was totally ignorant of its meaning, and that is my fault.

I should have known better and upon reading my @replies on my twitter feed today, I saw that it upset some fans. I appreciate that they brought it to my attention, as I never want to offend any of our fans or anyone period. I must stress that none of the people who brought this to my attention did so in a mean or negative way. It was a very nice and constructive way that they informed me of what the shirt meant and how it was offensive. Being held accountable for the choices and mistakes I make is a very important thing to me. It’s an important thing for everyone to be willing to analyze the things they do and take part in, and to admit the times that mistakes are made. This was definitely one of those times for me.

A horrible feeling of letting my fans down as well as my own ethical standards led me to write an apology on my twitter, as well as this more in-depth explanation in conjunction with one of my best friends, an anthropologist, Dr. Jennifer Raff.

I immediately went to her upon finding out that some fans were offended to get a deeper understanding of the history and meaning of the image that was on the shirt I wore. This was something we came up with to hopefully inform more people on this situation.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 352
10:27 AM on 11/16/13
anciar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"victory's secret" is how to fuck over your biggest acts out of a paycheck
10:29 AM on 11/16/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
"victory's secret" is how to fuck over your biggest acts out of a paycheck
Hahaha, well played. I need coffee.

Fixed.
10:40 AM on 11/16/13
RyanWilliam
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Those outfits should offend everyone.

Were they playing at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?
10:42 AM on 11/16/13
Basketcase
User Info.
people get so easily offended nowadays

seems you can't say, wear, or do anything without pissing off/offending someone
10:49 AM on 11/16/13
thechetearly
thechetearly
User Info.
The part I find so fucking ridiculous in all of this is this part:

"The shirt in question, which Hurley was dressed in by the show's costume department"

Maybe I am still naive, but I hate that FOB have come all the way and now are getting "dressed by" anyone. Gross.
10:49 AM on 11/16/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
people get so easily offended nowadays

seems you can't say, wear, or do anything without pissing off/offending someone
To a billion people this is akin to wearing a swastika.
10:50 AM on 11/16/13
Jason Tate
User Info.

"The shirt in question, which Hurley was dressed in by the show's costume department"

Maybe I am still naive, but I hate that FOB have come all the way and now are getting "dressed by" anyone. Gross.
Well, it is a fashion show...
10:50 AM on 11/16/13
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.

If you want to cash that big Victoria's Secret paycheck, you have to play by their rules. Which means in this case being dressed by professionals.
10:54 AM on 11/16/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.

I find it ridiculous that a professional costume department would send somebody out wearing imagery that millions of people would find offensive.
10:55 AM on 11/16/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I find it ridiculous that a professional costume department would send somebody out wearing imagery that millions of people would find offensive.
I can't get Zoolander clips out of my head.
10:56 AM on 11/16/13
NeonChrist
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Saving rock and roll, apologises for offending someone with a shirt. Makes sense.
11:01 AM on 11/16/13
Corgkowznor
Registered Member
User Info.
Looks very similar to the bandana worn by Daniel-San in the karate Kid movies....perhaps Ralph Macchio should apologize to all of Asia as well.
11:06 AM on 11/16/13
sergioisevil
User Info.
I've seen this shirt dozens of times and I had no idea it was offensive to anyone. The more ya' know.
11:12 AM on 11/16/13
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
I can't get Zoolander clips out of my head.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums