AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 39 of 39
07:25 PM on 11/18/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Of course he's allowed to change it. Anyone can perform it anyway they want. I'm just saying it's not necessary IMO as it is a piece of art. I can also choose to dislike the change. If they go through plays that have offensive material and take it out for the sake of the current P.C. climate, it can completely change the point of a work.

Admittedly, the song is no where near as deep things found in other art forms. But for example, if the word "fuck" wasn't in the end of Catcher in the Rye on the wall, the end wouldn't have the same impact. I think the word "retarded" in that line completely captured where he was at that point, and most importantly the immaturity of the speaker (who is presumably Mark himself). This was a huge theme of the song. It's fine that older Mark wants to change it, but I can still not like it.
If they go through a play and change the meaning of the entire thing through changing stuff - we can discuss that. But that's not what happened, so comparing the two is irrelevant.
07:25 PM on 11/18/13
Amongster
Again And Again
User Info.
It's not necessarily a problem; moreso that he's in his 40s and can't sing like he did in his 20s. That's why Tom has always sung the chorus of Dammit (and I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it sounded bad when he sang it with +44, unless Craig or Shane sung it, I don't remember) and why, in my opinion, after Dude Ranch, his voice changed very much.
When "Dammit" was written, the chorus happened to be out of his range. I imagine he strained his voice quite a bit to sing it during recording. Even in 1997, Tom sang that part live.

07:35 PM on 11/18/13
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
When "Dammit" was written, the chorus happened to be out of his range. I imagine he strained his voice quite a bit to sing it during recording. Even in 1997, Tom sang that part live.

i dont think tom was singing the chorus because it put stress on mark's voice. i always thought it was because the song was getting popular and tom wanted to play a larger role in the song
09:23 PM on 11/18/13
delvec19
i wanna hear the same song twice
User Info.
i dont think tom was singing the chorus because it put stress on mark's voice. i always thought it was because the song was getting popular and tom wanted to play a larger role in the song
Also sings this part on the live album.
09:49 PM on 11/18/13
absolutebutthol
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i really dont get why they wont throw in one or two of these oldschool babies on a regular basis... maybe just rotate between 7 or 8 tracks... each night a different one... cheshire cat / dude ranch stuff or non-single stuff. just like apple shampoo, waggy, a new hope, does my breath smell, peggy sue, one good reason, anthem, ANYTHING!!!
Agreed This sounded amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing something like this. Especially with a crowd reaction like that.
09:09 AM on 11/19/13
raptorz44
One Who Gets Away/NJ Success Story
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Give me one instance of Mark singing like he did on Dude Ranch, and I'll agree
09:13 AM on 11/19/13
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
Give me one instance of Mark singing like he did on Dude Ranch, and I'll agree

i don't know if this will help or not, but during a +44 tour, when they performed dammit, mark sang every line
07:39 PM on 11/19/13
nottarockstar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, agree, Tom was only singing it live because he wanted to sing on the single.

Mark singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJFaZIAySxE
03:35 PM on 11/25/13
irememberhallow
User Info.
That was good to hear. I'm also on board with the 'why not a couple oldies thrown here or there' but we all know what direction they'll head to.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos