AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Birthdays News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Nirvana's MTV Unplugged Turns 20

Posted by - 11:57 AM on 11/18/13
Thought Blink's album anniversary made you feel old? Today is also the 20 year anniversary of Nirvana's MTV Unplugged performance.

Submitted by chordsforacure

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
12:00 PM on 11/18/13
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
Jesus.
12:01 PM on 11/18/13
chordsforacure
Host of the Saint Mort Show!
User Info.
12:12 PM on 11/18/13
J.Dick
User Info.
I have always been disappointed in the way Dave G handled the drums on this.
12:13 PM on 11/18/13
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
Wanna feel old? It's almost been 10 years since the last The Wonder Years album.
12:19 PM on 11/18/13
Mikeallover
User Info.
I still listen to that album from time to time.
12:20 PM on 11/18/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Fairly lackluster performance, but notable nonetheless not only because it's Nirvana but also because it's the reason more than a handful of people have heard of the fantastic Meat Puppets.
12:28 PM on 11/18/13
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fairly lackluster performance, but notable nonetheless not only because it's Nirvana but also because it's the reason more than a handful of people have heard of the fantastic Meat Puppets.
Lackluster? You crazy man. Listen to those vocals on "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" (yes, I know it's a cover)
12:38 PM on 11/18/13
ghelms88
Back by Popular Demand
User Info.
I have always been disappointed in the way Dave G handled the drums on this.
Apparently, that's all on Kurt for the way Dave played the drums.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/music-n...014731014.html

Quote:
"I had this small cocktail drum set and these really light sticks," Grohl recalled to the A.V. Club in 2006. "In rehearsal, we would do a song, and Kurt would turn to me and say, 'Hey, do you think you could play it a little bit lighter?' 'Oh yeah, I'll try.' So we'd do another take, and he'd turn around and go, 'Could you bring it down just a little bit more?' And we'd do another take, and he'd say, 'You know what, just still, could you bring it down?' And I was like, 'Should I even f---ing be here?'"

Quote:
For one thing, Grohl — rock's greatest all-out basher since Keith Moon — had figured out how to play as quietly as Cobain wanted. MTV's Coletti had lent him a set of sizzle sticks as well as brushes, something that, amazingly, Grohl had never used in the place of normal drumsticks before. "We ran through a song, and Kurt's face lit up," the drummer told Rolling Stone. "Those sticks saved the entire show."
01:25 PM on 11/18/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Don't do this
02:00 PM on 11/18/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Nuts
02:07 PM on 11/18/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I am questioning everything you've ever said after this post.
02:33 PM on 11/18/13
Alex_Burton
Paulson / Alex
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This was a really life changing record for me, though I didn't know it at the time. The more I listened to it, the more I realized the depth of the songs. I was only 11, so I hadn't really considered how rearranging or reinterpreting a song could change the way a person listens to it, and this record did that for me. I'm glad this article was posted because I'm now going to go listen and remind myself how important this album was to my artistic development.
06:57 PM on 11/18/13
Nickdobo
@NickDobo
User Info.
I feel really old now. Still love that Lake of Fire cover

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT