AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Mansions - Doom Loop Album Cover

Mansions - Doom Loop

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
MansionsDoom Loop
Record Label: Clifton Motel Records
Release Date: November 12, 2013

Even though he’s always been particularly wise, it’s strange to think of Christopher Browder as old. His songs were always one of self-help and self-reflection, but from a place of seemingly eternal youth. With Doom Loop, Browder has packed in layers of fuzz, some grunge and plenty of catchy melodies. And although he’s hovering around the 30 year old-mark, his beleaguered, high-pitched moan hasn’t aged a day. Doom Loop is garnering some much-deserved attention, and rightfully so, but as a fomerly sad college student who reviewed Mansions' New Best Friends back in 2009, this album sounds like the culmination of a kid growing into the man he’s somehow always been.

In a recent listicle on Pop Matters, Browder said that his favorite record of all time is Weezer’s Pinkerton, which I didn’t know, but which is also not shocking in the least. 90’s alt-rock and grungy flannel tunes are all over Doom Loop. And what has become his real signature – asking questions when he already knows the answer – is very Rivers Cuomo. Through songs like fuzzy “Two Suits” and the very loud take on being tired, “Climbers,” Mansions have shifted their sights ever-so-slightly to simplicity. And that’s not meant to be condescending, it’s just to say that Doom Loop has quite a bit of fun rock and anti-social language that never sounds like Mansions are grasping to change things up. It’s a different sounding record than even Dig Up The Dead, but it’s also natural.

Then there’s the relentless headbanger “The Economist.” The second its riff comes in, you’re just ready to be at a Mansions concert, which is honestly not something I’ve thought before. Yes, they’ve done rock and fast and catchy, but “The Economist” is on another level of lo-fi loud. All of that stuff I said about growing old, well, this is the sort of song that can only be made by someone with endless youth. So Browder is getting older and learning new tricks, but there’s something awfully life-affirming about lyrics like, “Cause I’ve been sleeping so long / I’m up on a stage / Scream myself hoarse…Turn around and you’ll get replaced.” It’s the future that’s brightest, and the bridge of this song plays like a sort-of set-up to Mansions’ inevitable post-Doom Loop career. As Mansions stockholders, we’ve got a lot to look forward to.

All over Doom Loop – the power-pop of “If You’re Leaving, the slow-burning downer “100 Degrees” – Mansions deviate from the formula of angsty tunes just enough to make this rock with no need for descriptors. That’s possible because of the band’s voracious knowledge of popular music, and their incredible ability to imitate and mix styles on the fly. Mansions have a sound you can notice from across the bar, but there’s still songwriting distinction here. And Doom Loop is probably the band’s most ownable, and I suspect, most fully realized effort. It’s another reassuring testament to the fact that creativity isn’t a well, but a fountain.

8/10

Recommended If You Like: Weatherbox, Into It. Over It., Weezer, The Front Bottoms

they live in seattlehttp://cliftonmotel.limitedrun.com/p...ions-doom-loop

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
02:13 PM on 11/18/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
First!!!!1!!!!!11!!

But thia is a good album.
03:08 PM on 11/18/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Excellent review, Blake. One of the best records of the year. His best since New Best Friends, although my favorite might always be the Best of the Bees b-sides.
04:12 AM on 11/19/13
Metal Now
Talking about the second and third
User Info.
This is a great record, almost certainly my AOTY.
05:47 AM on 11/19/13
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
Like this record, but it's my least favorite of his LPs thus far. You can tell he's trying new things which is great...i just really liked his dorm-room writing style of his previous two LPs.
06:29 AM on 11/19/13
bunneh.
make moves, son
User Info.
Like this record, but it's my least favorite of his LPs thus far. You can tell he's trying new things which is great...i just really liked his dorm-room writing style of his previous two LPs.
I like those for what they are but at some point, you have to try something new as an artist or you get stuck in a rut, chastised for playing it safe.
07:07 AM on 11/19/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Dig Up The Dead is a top 10 record of all time for me. Had very high expectations for Doom Loop to match DUTD in many ways, except emotionally, and it did.

Interestingly enough to me, Doom Loop reminds me a lot more of New Best Friends than it does Dig Up The Dead.
07:20 AM on 11/19/13
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
I mean, they recorded everything but the drums on this album in an apartment, so...
09:58 AM on 11/19/13
badforcats1189
User Info.
Anyone know where this is streaming besides you tube and spotify?
10:23 AM on 11/19/13
FigureItOut
Ignore that sinking feeling
User Info.
Anyone know where this is streaming besides you tube and spotify?
Streaming here
10:23 AM on 11/19/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I seem to be the only one who disliked this. First of his I wasn't crazy about. Kinda bummed.
10:35 AM on 11/19/13
badforcats1189
User Info.
Thanks brotha

Also would you know if a hard copy is being sold anywhere besides shows?
10:42 AM on 11/19/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Thanks brotha

Also would you know if a hard copy is being sold anywhere besides shows?
the link at the bottom of review has a vinyl you can snag.
10:50 AM on 11/19/13
FigureItOut
Ignore that sinking feeling
User Info.
Great review. This album is everything I could have hoped for as a follow up to DUTD. Definitely agree about "The Economist" making you yearn to be at a Mansions concert. I'm dying to hear that and "Out for Blood" live.
11:10 AM on 11/19/13
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
I mean, they recorded everything but the drums on this album in an apartment, so...
By dorm room I meant the topics he handled and they way he processed them through his songwriting. It was all very nostalgic - this album is more grown-up. Before we enter the "people mature" conversation, I'm aware of that. I just happen to like his older stuff more.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos