Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

Rdio Lays Off Employees To Try and Scale

Posted by: Jason Tate (11/19/13)
Rdio is laying off employees today to "improve its cost structure and ensure a scalable business model for the long-term."
Rdio isn't revealing any specific numbers to counteract the bad news, but the company insists things are looking up. "Since the end of last year, we’ve tripled our number of new users," a spokesperson told TechCrunch. Rdio also says that 90 percent of users now subscribe to its $9.99 unlimited streaming plan, a healthy conversion rate by any standard.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 55
01:59 PM on 11/19/13
esposimi
H.E. Pennypacker
User Info.
I still fail to see how they are any better than Spotify
02:00 PM on 11/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
No ads.

There's the easy one.
02:05 PM on 11/19/13
tell that mick
@mickrouse
User Info.
No ads.

There's the easy one.
Plus a waaaay better interface, which may not be important to everyone, but is important to me.
02:14 PM on 11/19/13
esposimi
H.E. Pennypacker
User Info.
No ads.

There's the easy one.

Plus a waaaay better interface, which may not be important to everyone, but is important to me.

I pay $10 a month for Spotify Premium, which has no ads.
02:15 PM on 11/19/13
The Old Black
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Mobile app is way better (in addition to the other 2 posts).

I'll gladly go to whichever one is a better product. But for me it's Rdio right now.
02:17 PM on 11/19/13
ThaRealNC
User Info.
I pay for Spotify's 10 dollar subscription and there's no ads with it. I like Rdio, but the reason I went with Spotify is because it just works better with my car.

I tested both of the apps to see which one my car stereo responded to best (since this is where I utilize it the most) and Spotify was the easy winner. I know a lot of people who swear by Rdio though - I think it's probably just as good overall.

Either way, sucks to hear that they have to lay off a third of their staff. That's pretty brutal.
02:24 PM on 11/19/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
Everything said so far plus the fact that they offer half off a month for college students.
02:26 PM on 11/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I pay $10 a month for Spotify Premium, which has no ads.
Didn't know that, which is why I started there.

Here's the longer reasons.
02:26 PM on 11/19/13
AShannon04
http://drewshannon.net
User Info.
Rdio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spotify

Better UI, better mobile app, I like to see a quick snapshot of what friends are listening to, Personal Station is a nice touch, etc.

That said, I'm really looking forward to Beats Music to see what their more personal / curated experience is like.
02:36 PM on 11/19/13
bunneh.
make moves, son
User Info.
Their radio is absolutely sick. You can pick how "adventurous" you want to be on a 5 pt. scale. 1 being Artist-only, 5 dipping into other genres. Really cool overall for discovering new music which is key for me.

I'm kind of a stickler about having the whole album if I like a song. I used to hoard mp3's on my hard drive. With Rdio, you "add it to your collection" and the Collection for me is the perfect replacement for that.

In addition, their new Recommended section is spot on as well.
02:40 PM on 11/19/13
Jonathan Lally
Ain't nobody got time for that.
User Info.
this.
02:41 PM on 11/19/13
Jonathan Lally
Ain't nobody got time for that.
User Info.
Rdio lets you build a collection of albums, Spotify makes you save them as playlists. Unless something has changed recently, that's pretty lame.
02:48 PM on 11/19/13
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Their radio is absolutely sick. You can pick how "adventurous" you want to be on a 5 pt. scale. 1 being Artist-only, 5 dipping into other genres. Really cool overall for discovering new music which is key for me.

I'm kind of a stickler about having the whole album if I like a song. I used to hoard mp3's on my hard drive. With Rdio, you "add it to your collection" and the Collection for me is the perfect replacement for that.

In addition, their new Recommended section is spot on as well.
agreed with you on this. i don't usually care for the "radio" features of most streaming services, but Rdio's is pretty outstanding. I find myself using it a good bit at the office.
02:48 PM on 11/19/13
suckitandsee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm a bit confused. I've used Rdio every Saturday from 9-5 for the last year or so and I've never had to pay anything. Have I not crossed over the free trial hour allocation or what?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests