AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Pitchfork Introduces Quarterly Print Magazine

Posted by - 08:21 AM on 11/21/13
Pitchfork has introduced The Pitchfork Review, a quarterly publication that the company says will feature "long-form feature stories, photography, design, cartoons and other ephemera ... document[ing] music culture, past and present." The introductory rate if you sign up for the first four issues is $11.25 per issue in the United States, and the single-issue / newsstand price is $19.96. Instead of selling ads, Pitchfork has locked in Converse as the exclusive advertiser for the first year and there will be an accompanying 7" with exclusive tracks. Fast Company has a short profile on the news, where Pitchfork CEO Ryan Schreiber draws parallels between the company launching online in 1996, when little music journalism was on the Internet, and going print in 2013, when little music journalism is printed on paper. Does this concept interest you? Let's discuss in the replies.
'The Pitchfork Review' is not going after the casual newsstand browser. Printed on high-quality paper stock and more like a series of books ... "The price point is in line with the literary and cultural journals that exist, like 'Monocle' and 'Kinfolk,'” says Schreiber. “It will be substantial, printed on quality stock. With vinyl you’re paying more than a download, but it’s permanent and substantial." .... Schreiber says that Pitchfork is counting on serious music fans’ hunger for in-depth content to sell copies and subscriptions, rather than cover artists. In fact, none of the planned covers feature artists, but are rather focused on concept or design.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 77
08:23 AM on 11/21/13
Mibabalou
Desolate Earth :: The End Is Here
User Info.
please no
08:27 AM on 11/21/13
xJesusFreakx
we never go out of style
User Info.
I'm intrigued. Could be cool. I like the idea of covers being design-oriented vs featured cover artists.
08:27 AM on 11/21/13
Amongster
Still In Last Place
User Info.
For the seven-inch!
08:31 AM on 11/21/13
ACA
Next Shows: MC Lars @ NYC 11/22
User Info.
I guess it makes sense. Much of the stuff Pitchfork raves about in 2013 (Kanye West, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, Drake, etc.) is pretty popular. Compare this to where they were ten years ago, when print was much more alive -- it wouldn't have worked then because of their audience and the bands they endorsed. I think their album of the year in 2003 was The Wrens (a Jersey band + the magical 2003 year, which is why I recall).

There's enough people to eat up anything that Kanye West is on the cover of (or, if they're not doing "cover artists", whatever that means, I'm sure there will be a lengthy interview / feature about Yeezus), and, if he's album of the year for Pitchfork, I'm sure they'll sell enough copies of that one issues to cover all the costs.

Plus, people love to throw money at vinyl for some reason, so there's that. Pitchfork isn't stupid, this is going to make them a good amount of money.
08:31 AM on 11/21/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Pretty cool idea. Decibel does a pretty awesome flexi disc series.
08:32 AM on 11/21/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
intrested
08:40 AM on 11/21/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Ah a good ol ACA analysis
08:43 AM on 11/21/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I guess it makes sense. Much of the stuff Pitchfork raves about in 2013 (Kanye West, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, Drake, etc.) is pretty popular. Compare this to where they were ten years ago, when print was much more alive -- it wouldn't have worked then because of their audience and the bands they endorsed. I think their album of the year in 2003 was The Wrens (a Jersey band + the magical 2003 year, which is why I recall).

There's enough people to eat up anything that Kanye West is on the cover of (or, if they're not doing "cover artists", whatever that means, I'm sure there will be a lengthy interview / feature about Yeezus), and, if he's album of the year for Pitchfork, I'm sure they'll sell enough copies of that one issues to cover all the costs.

Plus, people love to throw money at vinyl for some reason, so there's that. Pitchfork isn't stupid, this is going to make them a good amount of money.
You should have read that profile I linked to before posting this.

"The first issue includes pieces about Van Morrison, Otis Redding, a career-spanning piece on Glenn Danzig, and a feature on the history of the jukebox. There is also a retrospective on the glory days of the U.K. weekly music press by veteran English critic Simon Reynolds."

Not saying they wouldn't have a Yeezus long-form, but you seem to have the wrong idea about what they're going for.
08:48 AM on 11/21/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I back this 3 hunna.

Pretty brave price point tho.
08:51 AM on 11/21/13
AFSjulian
I am your big brother.
User Info.
Cool idea. I don't always agree with Pitchfork, but their features and unique content are always well done. Plus I still love the feeling of pages between my fingers. I think I'll subscribe.
08:53 AM on 11/21/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i like this a lot. i don't like how expensive it is though. that's gonna be tough.

im in the midst of creating a budget for myself, so this might make a good christmas gift to myself if my mom and dad decide i can still get christmas gifts.
09:01 AM on 11/21/13
gonfreaks
User Info.
Their features are usually pretty great so I'm definitely interested in a magazine full of them. It's a bit pricey and I might wait to flip through the first issue in a store or something before I decide if I want to subscribe but they have my curiosity.
09:03 AM on 11/21/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The price is what's weirdest here. I'm not saying the subscription is too expensive – but I pay $50 a year for 12 issues of ESPN The Magazine plus exclusive online content that actually impacts my weekly digestion of sports. Obviously, Pitchfork is not ESPN...but this might take a little longer to catch on because of what people already associate with price points for magazines. And there's no incentive for Pitchfork to offer exclusive online content, because people don't care about nonessential analysis of music like they do about similarly nonessential analysis of sports and sports statistics.

I am definitely interested to hold one of these and see what it feels / looks like. Probably most excited to see what they try doing with design. And Schreiber is totally nailing the idea of what a print publication should be offering music fans in 2013....forget breaking news or anything like that – perhaps even forget reviews save for a few big ones, since that's all digested online – just go the route of offering "more" than people see every day online. I admire the idea and effort.
09:06 AM on 11/21/13
ACA
Next Shows: MC Lars @ NYC 11/22
User Info.
You should have read that profile I linked to before posting this.

"The first issue includes pieces about Van Morrison, Otis Redding, a career-spanning piece on Glenn Danzig, and a feature on the history of the jukebox. There is also a retrospective on the glory days of the U.K. weekly music press by veteran English critic Simon Reynolds."

Not saying they wouldn't have a Yeezus long-form, but you seem to have the wrong idea about what they're going for.

I get it, but what I'm really trying to say is that all it takes is one really big issue to cover the costs and offer them the freedom to do anything they want. Some sort of Pitchfork-quality Yeezus exclusive is like printing money.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos