Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

Turntable.fm Shutting Down

Posted by: Jason Tate (11/22/13)
Turntable.fm will shut down next month after about two years of existence.
The service's final day of operation will be December 2nd, when Turntable promises to throw one final party. "If we also want to give Turntable Live a real shot, we need to fully focus on it," Turntable writes. So far, it's happy with the response. The streaming shows all of which are hosted from Turntable's SoHo studio try to recreate the live concert experience, straight down to asking fans to buy tickets ahead of time. Eleven shows have been run so far, with the last one bringing in $670 from 170 total viewers. While recreating the feel of a concert may be an exciting goal, Turntable.fm's users will likely be upset over losing the charm of being a digital DJ.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
02:24 PM on 11/22/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
=(

I don't turntable that much, but its fun to do every once in a while.

Hopefully someone will hack up the Rdio api to produce a similar experience. Course then people need Rdio subscriptions to makes it work... but better than nothing...
02:29 PM on 11/22/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Man, that's terrible. They just didn't get into US market long enough before Spotify hit. I legitimately used Turntable for several hours a day for quite some time - but the second streaming services hit US, that was that.
02:30 PM on 11/22/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
That sucks. I didn't really ever use it, but I did like the concept.
02:35 PM on 11/22/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Man, that's terrible. They just didn't get into US market long enough before Spotify hit. I legitimately used Turntable for several hours a day for quite some time - but the second streaming services hit US, that was that.
I don't think it was really Spotify's fault. Spotify makes money. Turntable doesn't. I think they needed some sort of subscription service to stay afloat, but i'm not sure what they could've added that people would be willing to pay for if they are already paying for something like Spotify (so I guess in that regard, it is spotify's fault. But more Turntable's for not even trying to make a profit)
02:36 PM on 11/22/13
surette
kill the switch
User Info.
really bums me out. there was a period of time where i was on tt every day.
02:37 PM on 11/22/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't think it was really Spotify's fault. Spotify makes money. Turntable doesn't. I think they needed some sort of subscription service to stay afloat, but i'm not sure what they could've added that people would be willing to pay for if they are already paying for something like Spotify (so I guess in that regard, it is spotify's fault. But more Turntable's for not even trying to make a profit)
Not much evidence that Spotify makes money yet - in fact they are in talks to take another 250 million from their best investment round.
02:38 PM on 11/22/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh, I didn't mean from a profit standpoint - I meant from a userbase standpoint.

Turntable launched when Spotify was taking off elsewhere - back when streaming music services didn't exist here, or at least were highly uncommon. Turntable was the best place to listen to stuff you didn't digitally own.

But, when Spotify finally hit here, many users stopped using Turntable. At the end of the day, you can't dedicate hours to multiple music services, so even though they don't seem like competitors, the userbase dwindled.
02:44 PM on 11/22/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Oh, I didn't mean from a profit standpoint - I meant from a userbase standpoint.

Turntable launched when Spotify was taking off elsewhere - back when streaming music services didn't exist here, or at least were highly uncommon. Turntable was the best place to listen to stuff you didn't digitally own.

But, when Spotify finally hit here, many users stopped using Turntable. At the end of the day, you can't dedicate hours to multiple music services, so even though they don't seem like competitors, the userbase dwindled.
Do you think it was actually Spotify's fault, or just that the novelty started to wear off? Its not like Spotify has totally killed Pandora...

Also dwindling userbase isn't really the problem. Spotify makes some money off their users. Who knows if they make a profit, but they make enough to currently survive. How was Turntable making money off their users?
02:50 PM on 11/22/13
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Join me in the PPRAE room for the sulking in sorrows.
02:52 PM on 11/22/13
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Damn. I haven't been on TT in awhile but I loved it.
02:55 PM on 11/22/13
ISO 60
User Info.
Join me in the PPRAE room for the sulking in sorrows.
this
02:57 PM on 11/22/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Meh. Haven't been on in probably two years. Site got really bogged down and just became essentially useless. The "revamped" design is also ugly as sin. Whatever.
03:05 PM on 11/22/13
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
I had like 600 points on this website. Gonna miss it.
03:08 PM on 11/22/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Do you think it was actually Spotify's fault, or just that the novelty started to wear off? Its not like Spotify has totally killed Pandora...

Also dwindling userbase isn't really the problem. Spotify makes some money off their users. Who knows if they make a profit, but they make enough to currently survive. How was Turntable making money off their users?

Dwindling userbase is actually a huge problem, haha. This is a start-up that was highly invested in at its inception - even two years in, they could have probably wrangled more funding, IF they had a userbase - but they don't anymore. Article even says it's less than 50k monthly now, which isn't enough to warrant commitment from investors.

And I think Pandora's survival is due to what I said earlier - it had a long, long time to marinate with people. Pandora was the only legitimate option for YEARS - those type of users don't jump ship just for new hotness. But Turntable didn't have time to become that sort of habit.

The novelty never wore off for me - I still prefer Turntable to any online radio service.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests