Username
Password
MTV News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
MTV
Inside AP.net

Music Videos Are Dead

Posted by: Jason Tate (11/25/13)
Why won't MTV play music videos? A former employee aims to answer that question once and for all.
Humanity's collective attention span is shrinking by the week. We now consume information on an on-demand basis. Gone are the days of waiting through what we don't want until we reach what we do. And that, more than anything, is why the televised music video is dead. These days, no one is going to wait through the likes of Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and Ke$ha hoping to catch something from Foo Fighters. Could you really envision yourself sitting down and watching one uninterrupted hour of popular music videos? It simply ain't happening.

Guess what channel does play music videos all day long? mtvU. Guess who watches mtvU? ALMOST NO ONE! There are commercials for Lady Footlocker that rate significantly higher.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 61
12:28 PM on 11/25/13
spansen
and then what happens?
User Info.
That's sadddd. I don't watch these channels because I can't even afford to have cable programming in my living room.. I recognized that it's a dying 'art'.. and I'm always a little confused, at this point, why they're still being made. I think that it's a great marketing tool, provided the video doesn't suck, but beyond that playing the song with just am image of the album art on YouTube accomplishes the same thing, and overall gets just as many (if not more) hits than the video will.
12:28 PM on 11/25/13
PandaBear!
\m/ (-.-) \m/
User Info.
truth
12:29 PM on 11/25/13
crushedonyou
User Info.
how many people have mtvu? i dont. but nonetheless still a valid point. if you wanna watch music videos, youtube.
12:31 PM on 11/25/13
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
I have mtvU, but they're right. I never watch it because YouTube exists.
12:32 PM on 11/25/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
12:33 PM on 11/25/13
kevinjordan
This Wild Life - Kevin
User Info.
Well put.
12:43 PM on 11/25/13
stuffsux00
User Info.
maybe they shouldn't play one direction and kesha videos next to the arcade fire and foo fighter videos. we all know segregation is what works :D

fixed: maybe they shouldn't play one direction and kesha videos AT ALL
12:51 PM on 11/25/13
marchofmarty
SPINE, THIGH, AND BREAST
User Info.
I definitely remember sitting through ja rule and Alicia keys to catch fat lip
12:51 PM on 11/25/13
rsk423
User Info.
how many people have mtvu? i dont. but nonetheless still a valid point. if you wanna watch music videos, youtube.

I love mtvu but only had it in college. They make it hard to get but that's the closest thing you'll have to the old MTV.
12:53 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
I love music videos. I could just have the TV on a music video channel for hours. I don't have MTVU though and never have. Someone out there misses them being on TV!
12:54 PM on 11/25/13
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.
I understand thay but they could still offer more music related content.
12:58 PM on 11/25/13
hometownblues_
Sam
User Info.
Brian Firenzi is the man
12:59 PM on 11/25/13
Miss Heartcore
If I look back, I am lost.
User Info.
still 100% accurate.
12:59 PM on 11/25/13
rocknroll365
rocknroll365
User Info.
That's sadddd. I don't watch these channels because I can't even afford to have cable programming in my living room.. I recognized that it's a dying 'art'.. and I'm always a little confused, at this point, why they're still being made. I think that it's a great marketing tool, provided the video doesn't suck, but beyond that playing the song with just am image of the album art on YouTube accomplishes the same thing, and overall gets just as many (if not more) hits than the video will.
because people will still watch the video on youtube. you throw up a lyric video bam it gets 10,000 views then things slow down but you put out a music video a couple weeks later bam 10,000 views on it and you've managed to get more attention and increased views on both the lyric and music video.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests