Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 13 posts
12:45 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
People need to stop doing this. idk why popstars get away with it so much. But omg it's so ~exotic

Is Gaga getting flak for Gypsy? I know some Romani people were upset about that song too, but I feel like people don't really care about them as much. I admittedly don't know much about it either.
12:58 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
User Info.
Not a fan of the performance, but I'm part Japanese, and I dont find this offensive at all.

If she's not marginalizing or ridiculing Asian Culture, I don't really see what the problem is.

It's just fashion.

If anything - I would argue that it raises awareness and appreciation for a culture that a lot of her core audience is unfamiliar with.
I think people are also leftover upset from that time she said she wanted to skin Japanese people and wear them like Versace
01:14 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
User Info.
Surprised they let her sing live.
She usually does. idk why. I guess points for trying? Although I've seen her live twice and she didn't sound as awful as her tv appearances always are, for what it's worth
01:26 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
User Info.
My personal fave is: You're the real racist for bringing it up!!
01:36 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
User Info.
Every awards show or public television show involving celebrities is now going to have someone become offended over something that happened. In this case.. a reporter wanted to make a name for themselves and decided to reaaallly stretch everyone's suspension of disbelief in order to explain why this was offensive.. and someone else saw it, latched onto it and so forth. It's like the digital version of the World War Z zombies. It's almost become certain types of peoples' reason for living.
I was watching a live feed and people we complaining as it was happening, so your theory is incorrect
02:45 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
User Info.
Fucking excuse me? This happened? The fuck?

She likes to fetishize Japanese people for some reason. Looks like the videos were made private but there's a transcript

http://jhameia.tumblr.com/post/26016...d-fetishism-of
02:49 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
User Info.
If ya'll made it through that awful video, you can cleanse your souls with the only AMA performance that mattered

11:24 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
User Info.
I hate how we live in a society where whenever ANYONE does or says ANYTHING, it's deemed offensive by some group or party. It's ridiculous.
Well this isn't true. Usually racist or sexist or classist or all those other uncool -ists and -isms are what is deemed offensive. The actual amount of people who look to be offended by things and get offended by "everything" I think is rather small, despite what some people want to believe. Not necessarily aiming this directly at you, but I feel like people who whine about how everything is considered offensive now and the world is just "too pc" is kinda just code for "wah now I can't do/say douchey things without someone calling me on my bs."

edit: also, for the record, some people are also offended because apparently her outfit is not even accurate, so you can't even really use the "she's just appreciating the culture" argument, because she knows nothing about the culture she's "appreciating."
07:42 AM on 11/26/13
kianacarly
User Info.
This person is bad at explaining things, so I'll try to. Tumblr is notorious for the I'm-right-because-I'm-offended attitude. This usually involves white girls in their late teens trying to seek out social justice via a blog post, but not always so.

http://wtfsocialjustice.tumblr.com/tagged/post

If you go to at least page 2 of that blog, you'll kind of get the idea of what Greninja means.

Also, I always appreciate your opinions so I have a question for you: If someone is offended does that mean they're right? Should artists do their own thing knowing people will get offended no matter what, or should they go out of their way to offend the least amount of people possible?
I'm pretty sure he knows what a sjw is, but that it doesn't apply to any people in this thread. Also, now the term sjw gets thrown around to describe pretty much anyone who thinks something is offensive. It's the new "too pc" and it annoys everyone. People should just stop throwing it around.
07:51 AM on 11/26/13
kianacarly
User Info.
Thousands of brilliant writers and sociologists and studies reduced to "tumblr-ites" .... good.
lol right? I guess I should bail on my major now cause tumblr has it covered.
07:59 AM on 11/26/13
kianacarly
User Info.
I don't know what to think. I've been on this website for a couple years and 2013 more than any other year, has had "_____ did something offensive" posts. I don't know what that means though.
Maybe Jason and other staff have taken an interest in social issues? I'm glad tbh because I've been on the site for years too and I've seen some questionable posts in the past. It's nice that people get called on their bs. Personally I enjoy it, because I'll be honest and say sometimes it sucked to be a woman on this site but it has gotten a lot better. Trying to be more inclusive to minorities is always a good thing.
08:22 AM on 11/26/13
kianacarly
User Info.
Yeah, I more meant that in general people have been getting more and more offended and are raising awareness of it this year. This being offended would exist even without AP.net.
ia for the most part. I think now there are more mediums for poc to voice their dissatisfaction. These are things that have upset people for a while but they didn't really have a big platform to talk about it. Now with tumblr and twitter and facebook and blogs, it's much easier. Through these platforms more people are getting educated on social issues that may not have before, and then they voice their dissatisfaction as well and that amounts to more media coverage and calling people out.
09:35 AM on 11/26/13
kianacarly
User Info.
idg what's going on all the way in the first one. A child accidentally stole a cup and fears he'll go to jail, and his white mom is laughing? Am I reading that right because I was kinda confused looking at the picture. ia that poc will go to to jail way easier than a white man, and I think some poc children are very aware of that at an early age, but in regards to what's going on in the picture, I can't tell. oop sorry I'm dense.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a poc not wanting to date a white person. There's many reasons to be uncomfortable about it. That's their decision to make and not really my place to tell them it's wrong or not.

edit: so is that a tumblr dedicated to over the top sjw? Because again, that is a very extreme and small part of people imo. They are just loud and ridiculous and over the top so they get noticed, but they are not indicative of the kind of people who typically talk about social issues. It's just a small, loud group that people use to try and make everyone who stands up for social issues look crazy and dramatic. It's weird to me that a tumblr like that even exists tbh, but idk I don't have a tumblr and I don't go on tumblr.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos