Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 109
02:49 PM on 11/25/13
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Here's a really good article discussing why this performance should be called out.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...ed-out/281805/
02:56 PM on 11/25/13
more heart
Endure and survive
User Info.
This is the most pointless arguement. It was ignorance, not racism.
Bingo.
02:58 PM on 11/25/13
sergioisevil
User Info.
Do you believe that the Miley Cyrus performance back during the VMAs was offensive to black people? I saw a journalist try to make that point because she had black dancers or something. I don't know... I could be ignorant as well but people feed on hatred these days. I also believe that because they are going after her because she's rich and white.
I don't...at all, haha. I still don't get the hooplah over Miley's performance other than her trying to court controversy for the sake of courting controversy - which really isn't a big deal to me at all. As far as the "racist" accusations go, I didn't see her demonizing African-American culture when there were backup dancers consenting to dance/twerk/whatever onstage with her.
03:02 PM on 11/25/13
Sanzen
Ricocheting
User Info.
Pro-tip: white people doing anything other than being white is racist.
03:25 PM on 11/25/13
domotime2
Lee Corvallo's Putting Challenge
User Info.
the controversy is over how much this song sucks and how dreadful the performance was right?
03:27 PM on 11/25/13
domotime2
Lee Corvallo's Putting Challenge
User Info.
03:34 PM on 11/25/13
Ryan Dennehy
I think people are also leftover upset from that time she said she wanted to skin Japanese people and wear them like Versace
Fucking excuse me? This happened? The fuck?
Halloween is racist to monsters BUT NO ONE EVER BRINGS THAT SHIT UP! GOD DAMN IT!
People do complain about racially stereotypes being used as costumes on Halloween, actually.
This is the most pointless arguement. It was ignorance, not racism.

1. To be racist, doesn't one have to believe a certain race is inferior to his/hers? With that definition (THE definition, by the way) how is dressing up and performing as a specific member of a certain race RACIST? Insensitive? Maybe. Not racist.

2. How is dressing up as someone racists or insensitive? It's not as if she gave herself oversize artificial teeth or depicted herself driving poorly. What's the difference between her dressing up as this and dressing up as a Viking? The only difference is there aren't a lot of Viking people around to complain.

We live in a WAY oversensitive society which is constantly engaged in a witch-hunt for no other reason but to achieve notoriety through someone else's actions.

FOR THE RECORD: Andy Hurley wearing a Rising Sun T-Shirt is different. That is a symbol that represents something inappropriate. I am not blaming Andy, kudos to him for apologizing as quickly as he did.

tl;dr Katy Perry essentially wore a Halloween costume and since it wasn't Halloween, people are losing their minds.

This is the side that I'm taking. I love Katy and although I don't agree with her thematic choice for that performance, it pains me whenever I heard the word "racist" thrown around to describe her when that word has so many profoundly malicious connotations. What she did was definitely culturally insensitive, but racist? Come on.
I'll address the three of you together: what's happening is there is a divergence in what the word "racist" means in academic and conversational settings. In many sociological circles today, "racist" no longer applies to the individual acts of bigotry and discrimination that arise from individual prejudice, but rather is used to describe symptoms and outgrowths of the racist system. This applies to school funding, health care, "crime stats," media portrayals (like Katy Perry's), etc.

Katy Perry may not be individually bigoted towards people of Japanese or Chinese descent, but she is most certainly participating wholesale in a racist culture that marginalizes and treats these cultures as interchangable and monolithic.

Also, dressing up as a different culture is a highly inappropriate Halloween costume. Would you be okay with someone dressing in blackface for halloween?
Every awards show or public television show involving celebrities is now going to have someone become offended over something that happened. In this case.. a reporter wanted to make a name for themselves and decided to reaaallly stretch everyone's suspension of disbelief in order to explain why this was offensive.. and someone else saw it, latched onto it and so forth. It's like the digital version of the World War Z zombies. It's almost become certain types of peoples' reason for living.
No reporter wanted to make a name for themselves. You're incorrect.
Do you believe that the Miley Cyrus performance back during the VMAs was offensive to black people? I saw a journalist try to make that point because she had black dancers or something. I don't know... I could be ignorant as well but people feed on hatred these days. I also believe that because they are going after her because she's rich and white.

It had to do with the treatment of the women as perceived "objects," many people (of color and white) thought she was utilizing these women of color as sexual props and participating in a storied American history of doing just that.
03:45 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
User Info.
Fucking excuse me? This happened? The fuck?

She likes to fetishize Japanese people for some reason. Looks like the videos were made private but there's a transcript

http://jhameia.tumblr.com/post/26016...d-fetishism-of
03:46 PM on 11/25/13
Lightsout911X
Expect me standing tall
User Info.
Are you fucking kidding me.
03:49 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
User Info.
If ya'll made it through that awful video, you can cleanse your souls with the only AMA performance that mattered

03:52 PM on 11/25/13
botDs-r
www.twitter.com/shawnhyphenray
User Info.
I don't find this to be a big deal whatsoever.
03:54 PM on 11/25/13
botDs-r
www.twitter.com/shawnhyphenray
User Info.
It's funny how the people who call something out for being racist and such are usually whites, and rarely anyone of that race.
04:03 PM on 11/25/13
livinginpixels
User Info.

I'll address the three of you together: what's happening is there is a divergence in what the word "racist" means in academic and conversational settings. In many sociological circles today, "racist" no longer applies to the individual acts of bigotry and discrimination that arise from individual prejudice, but rather is used to describe symptoms and outgrowths of the racist system. This applies to school funding, health care, "crime stats," media portrayals (like Katy Perry's), etc.

Katy Perry may not be individually bigoted towards people of Japanese or Chinese descent, but she is most certainly participating wholesale in a racist culture that marginalizes and treats these cultures as interchangable and monolithic.

That was actually incredibly helpful and informative. I never thought of it that way. Thank you
04:15 PM on 11/25/13
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
Oh God, you reminded me of how I hate those weeaboo sketches on SNL
04:32 PM on 11/25/13
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
User Info.
thought police on patrol weeeeooooooweeeeeooooooweeeeeeeoooo oooooo

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News