07:17 AM on 11/27/13
TomFoolery
one time I went to the superbowl
User Info.
09:46 AM on 11/30/13
That Dude
That one dude, yeah him.
User Info.
When did ignorance become racism? I did not see the performance, only pictures of the dress and can see that it's a mixture of two very old and established Asian cultures. I don't know if she holds views demeaning other cultures, but this isolated indecent cannot be called racist by any rational human being who's actually lived in multiple cultures. As a white American living in China I can say that probably every day I am the subject of what these people would call racism, and honestly, most of China loves white Americans, but since they are IGNORANT, they will say or think in very broad generalized terms, this is in no way racist, it's just a lack of education. Just because someone wears a stupid dress that mixes cultures doesn't mean they are racist, they may be ignorant, but more likely they just like the clothes and wanted to wear them, making them at worst slightly thoughtless.

And lastly I would contend that we've become a culture of offense because of a general philosophical drift towards postmodernism. We live in a philosophical culture of no boundaries, the individual creates their own truths. When the ultimate standard of truth is whatever you think is right in the moment, of course you're going to get butt-hurt and whiny when someone does something that doesn't line up with your preferences.

Basically to sum it up. Ignorance is not racism, it's a lack of education. Everybody is ignorant, even China and Japan who have a long and tumultuous relationship are ignorant about how much their culture's have influenced and bled into each other. (Though there is some genuine hate there, so they may not be the best examples mind you.)
And one of the logical outcomes of relativism is people get offended because people make their truth and you doing something against that truth is going against their sovereignty and in their mindset is a personal attack.
10:07 AM on 11/30/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
When did ignorance become racism? I did not see the performance, only pictures of the dress and can see that it's a mixture of two very old and established Asian cultures. I don't know if she holds views demeaning other cultures, but this isolated indecent cannot be called racist by any rational human being who's actually lived in multiple cultures. As a white American living in China I can say that probably every day I am the subject of what these people would call racism, and honestly, most of China loves white Americans, but since they are IGNORANT, they will say or think in very broad generalized terms, this is in no way racist, it's just a lack of education. Just because someone wears a stupid dress that mixes cultures doesn't mean they are racist, they may be ignorant, but more likely they just like the clothes and wanted to wear them, making them at worst slightly thoughtless.

And lastly I would contend that we've become a culture of offense because of a general philosophical drift towards postmodernism. We live in a philosophical culture of no boundaries, the individual creates their own truths. When the ultimate standard of truth is whatever you think is right in the moment, of course you're going to get butt-hurt and whiny when someone does something that doesn't line up with your preferences.

Basically to sum it up. Ignorance is not racism, it's a lack of education. Everybody is ignorant, even China and Japan who have a long and tumultuous relationship are ignorant about how much their culture's have influenced and bled into each other. (Though there is some genuine hate there, so they may not be the best examples mind you.)
And one of the logical outcomes of relativism is people get offended because people make their truth and you doing something against that truth is going against their sovereignty and in their mindset is a personal attack.
Just because someone isn't a terrible violent bigot, does not mean they haven't engaged in racist speech or behavior. She likely is ignorant about it. It's still racism though.
04:41 AM on 12/01/13
That Dude
That one dude, yeah him.
User Info.
Just because someone isn't a terrible violent bigot, does not mean they haven't engaged in racist speech or behavior. She likely is ignorant about it. It's still racism though.
I can't know if she's engaged in racist speech or not, and frankly I don't care.

Let me ask you this, do you consider asian people who wear shirts with nonsense English words on them racist? If not, I don't see how you can treat what you have described as "most likely ignorant" as racist. It's the same as a Chinese person wearing a nonsense english shirt.

Living in China I can tell you that you wouldn't last a day if you truly hold such a delicate view that wearing something in ignorance is racist. You'd be appalled at the "racism" here.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos