AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Video News
Have a news tip? Submit news.
Video

Follow-Up: Toy Company Removes "Girls"...

Posted by: Jason Tate (11/27/13)
GoldieBlox has pulled their "Girls" ad and written an open letter to the Beastie Boys, which can be found below.
We don’t want to fight with you. We love you and we are actually huge fans.

When we made our parody version of your song, “Girls”, we did it with the best of intentions. We wanted to take a song we weren’t too proud of, and transform it into a powerful anthem for girls. Over the past week, parents have sent us pictures and videos of their kids singing the new lyrics with pride, building their own Rube Goldberg machines in their living rooms and declaring an interest in engineering. It’s been incredible to watch.

Our hearts sank last week when your lawyers called us with threats that we took very seriously. As a small company, we had no choice but to stand up for ourselves. We did so sincerely hoping we could come to a peaceful settlement with you.

We want you to know that when we posted the video, we were completely unaware that the late, great Adam Yauch had requested in his will that the Beastie Boys songs never be used in advertising. Although we believe our parody video falls under fair use, we would like to respect his wishes and yours.

Since actions speak louder than words, we have already removed the song from our video. In addition, we are ready to stop the lawsuit as long as this means we will no longer be under threat from your legal team.

We don’t want to spend our time fighting legal battles. We want to inspire the next generation. We want to be good role models. And we want to be your friends.

Sincerely,

Debbie + Team GoldieBlox

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
01:42 PM on 11/27/13
Dizzy23
User Info.
Awesome response
01:43 PM on 11/27/13
mackieinva
waiting for the day
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like I just read a passive aggressive note in a dorm bathroom, maybe I'm just a cynical asshole I don't know.
01:46 PM on 11/27/13
TheZeroKid
I'm Not Holden Caulfield
User Info.
Sounds sincere to me.
02:06 PM on 11/27/13
bunneh.
make moves, son
User Info.
I feel like I just read a passive aggressive note in a dorm bathroom, maybe I'm just a cynical asshole I don't know.
Nope, that's how I read it too. A very "we still think you're right but okay fine" apology. It's not the only song in the world, pick another one.
02:09 PM on 11/27/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Quote:
In addition, we are ready to stop the lawsuit as long as this means we will no longer be under threat from your legal team.

Part of me hopes that this (as well as the whole statement) was conveyed to the Beastie's attorneys before they released it. Comes off as a little childish to me to use this statement as a primary mean of communication to them.
02:14 PM on 11/27/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
This entire thing has been a publicity stunt. Anyone who is a "huge fan" of the Beastie Boys would know their songs can't be used in advertising. They got way more press out of the legal battle -- which THEY started, regardless of whether the Beasties' lawyers spoke with them first -- than any regular ad could give them. Now they pull the song and don't get in any trouble. Pretty smart in a way... a way that dishonours the wishes of someone they are a "huge fan" of.
02:25 PM on 11/27/13
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
This entire thing has been a publicity stunt. Anyone who is a "huge fan" of the Beastie Boys would know their songs can't be used in advertising. They got way more press out of the legal battle -- which THEY started, regardless of whether the Beasties' lawyers spoke with them first -- than any regular ad could give them. Now they pull the song and don't get in any trouble. Pretty smart in a way... a way that dishonours the wishes of someone they are a "huge fan" of.
The name that is your user name is the singing voice of what I belive to be Jesus'

In all seroiusness Steve Perry is my favorite vocalist of all time and Journey is my favorite band of all time besides Brand New...

haha fun fact. I'm sure you share that same type of love from what I gather from your user name.
02:39 PM on 11/27/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
The video was HUGE before any legal shit came up.
02:43 PM on 11/27/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think they handled it well, personally.
02:51 PM on 11/27/13
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
was that the "three little girls want to be engineers" video that I keep seeing on FB?
02:52 PM on 11/27/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
"We wanted to take a song we weren’t too proud of, and transform it into a powerful anthem for girls."
and
"Our hearts sank last week when your lawyers called us with threats that we took very seriously."

It's like , your song is wrong so we made it better, but how dare you stifle what we are trying to accomplish.

I'm all about empowerment of women, but this company had blatantly stolen from the beastie boys. Unfortunate, but don't make the beastie boys out to the bad guys in this situation.
02:57 PM on 11/27/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
"We wanted to take a song we weren’t too proud of, and transform it into a powerful anthem for girls."
and
"Our hearts sank last week when your lawyers called us with threats that we took very seriously."

It's like , your song is wrong so we made it better, but how dare you stifle what we are trying to accomplish.

I'm all about empowerment of women, but this company had blatantly stolen from the beastie boys. Unfortunate, but don't make the beastie boys out to the bad guys in this situation.
Parody isn't any more 'stealing' than the Beastie Boys' useage of samples IMO.
03:01 PM on 11/27/13
radXcoreXdanny
User Info.
Parody isn't any more 'stealing' than the Beastie Boys' useage of samples IMO.
hell, the song "Girls" its a sample from the Rolling Stones
03:11 PM on 11/27/13
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
I'm torn about this. I think this is a good enough product for the exception to the rule, but then I would hate if someone used my work without my permission.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos