AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

UK News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Who Decides if the Sins of the Artist Negates Their Art?

Posted by - 09:39 PM on 11/29/13
The Guardian have run an interesting article about what happens when the sins of an artist are so great that they negate their art. Many arguments have been had in these forums about if someone's ego or sexism or lack of releasing their dvd or just general douchebaggery is enough to lose fans and negate the music they release -- but the pure evil of Ian Watkin's has taken this debate to a whole new level.
In fact, our cultural life is replete with art made by those whose personal lives bear little scrutiny. In the Nazi corner alone, we have the film-maker Leni Riefenstahl, the poet Ezra Pound and the philosopher Martin Heidegger, none of whom have been "decanonised", despite critical caveats about their political views. In the world of film, Roman Polanski continued to make films, albeit from outside the US, despite fleeing a conviction for the statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl in Los Angeles in 1977, ahead of sentencing. Why, then, was he able to continue making art?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 128
10:04 PM on 11/29/13
soadjaeger
User Info.
One major difference between Ian Watkins and most of the other examples the article mentions is when you observe his art you are actually listening to his voice. That makes for a lot stronger connection between you and the artist which means their is going to be a lot stronger backlash if the singer violates your morals
10:09 PM on 11/29/13
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
^ What he said basically

Ian Watkins like most singers are the face of the band. In a sense Watkins represents Lostprophets in people's minds.
10:16 PM on 11/29/13
ExtremeAvalanch
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like I need an exorcism, but I can still listen to LP no problem if I want to. I tend not to, but because they're not a very good band, not because of Ian Watkins. Burzum is sheer awesomeness, no matter how insane or evil Vikernes is.
Also, what does the writer mean by they're not real "art"? Who makes that qualification?
10:16 PM on 11/29/13
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
Something this disgusting and terrible cannot be separated from the band, to me. Unforgivable. What a piece of shit, scum of a human.
10:17 PM on 11/29/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
I actually had "Darkest Blue" come up randomly in a shuffle a few days ago and I was able to enjoy the song without these events coming to mind or burdening the music.

However, I don't think I'll go out of my way to listen to them much again, and The Betrayed was the only album by them I truly liked anyway.
10:18 PM on 11/29/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
I feel like I need an exorcism, but I can still listen to LP no problem if I want to. I tend not to, but because they're not a very good band, not because of Ian Watkins. Burzum is sheer awesomeness, no matter how insane or evil Vikernes is.
Also, what does the writer mean by they're not real "art"? Who makes that qualification?
I see your point, but look at what almost all critics think of Lostprophets and you'll see his point.
10:24 PM on 11/29/13
ExtremeAvalanch
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I actually had "Darkest Blue" come up randomly in a shuffle a few days ago and I was able to enjoy the song without these events coming to mind or burdening the music.

However, I don't think I'll go out of my way to listen to them much again, and The Betrayed was the only album by them I truly liked anyway.
Yeah, Darkest Blue rules. It doesn't even sound like the same band.
10:29 PM on 11/29/13
Ryan Dennehy
sub
10:32 PM on 11/29/13
fran.182
Euphoric Disconnection
User Info.
Lostprofits. That was a good one...
10:49 PM on 11/29/13
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
People would have liked John Lennon a lot less if we had Twitter in the 60s. Not saying his music, but his personality was a lot stronger than he let on for a while during the 60s.
11:02 PM on 11/29/13
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
People would have liked John Lennon a lot less if we had Twitter in the 60s. Not saying his music, but his personality was a lot stronger than he let on for a while during the 60s.

Truth ^

I used to be cruel to my woman I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she lovedMan I was mean but Im changing my scene and Im doing the best that I can.

~ John Lennon
02:53 AM on 11/30/13
3GunGaz
Claret and Blue
User Info.
I cannot listen to them anymore and I don't even want to try. I've removed all trace from my music collection. It's a shame for the rest of the band (ignoring all did they / didn't they know debates).
05:31 AM on 11/30/13
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.

I agree, that sentence does not make any sense. Why the hell wouldn't it be "real art"?
07:40 AM on 11/30/13
getupguy222
User Info.
The Lennon thing is interesting, being a huge beatles fan and Lennon fan, I remember when I was younger discovering some things about him that made me less interested for sure. The odd thing is we have had a major celebrity in the music world (not this corner, mind you) that committed Lennon's crimes for all of twitter and the world to see, yet people still sell out Chris Brown concerts and put him on awards shows. Mad world.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos