AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Blog News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Blog
Inside AP.net

Motionless in White Decide to "Stop Preaching the...

Posted by: Jason Tate (12/03/13)
Chris from Motionless In White posted a lengthy blog post about why the band doesn't preach anymore and his thoughts on superficial fans.
This “you saved my life”, “you’re my hero” and “you’re my voice” thing has become an unbearable burden and a downright eye roller. NO. I did not save your life. NO.. band X, Y or Z did not save your life. IF in fact you were on the brink of any self harming action… it was YOU who pulled yourself from the ledge. You saved your life, You are the hero. Why are people not willing to take credit for their own actions? Thats right… because thats what fans think bands want to hear. I’m not taking ANYTHING away from people who do self harm or have a hard time with any aspects of their lives. We’ve all been there and having gone through those things myself shaped who I am today and made me want to use music as an outlet. I do agree that music can be a very helpful tool in helping you overcome whatever is ailing you, but in the end it’s only you who had the strength to pull yourself out of it. I am strictly speaking out against the many many people i’ve seen approach me in the most absolute insincere, dishonest fashion with the “you guys saved my life” lines.

Submitted by biggwillys

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53
10:51 AM on 12/03/13
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
While I dont like this band I definitely respect Chris from what I know about him and this just makes me respect him even more.
10:52 AM on 12/03/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
He realizes that music can be a powerful catalyst in pulling someone back from the "ledge", right? I get that he says it's a "tool", but it's not about not giving yourself credit. What a terrible thing to say to your fans, especially the ones who truly feel that the band helped them along to recovery.

edit: also, why is it insincere of someone to name him their hero? ugh.
10:54 AM on 12/03/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
Blunt point.
10:55 AM on 12/03/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Agree with certain aspects and disagree with others. I'm not sure why he feels it has to be all or nothing. Say what you want to say when it feels right to you.
10:57 AM on 12/03/13
Tele72
User Info.
I don't listen to this band, but I've always felt this way toward those kind of bands. I think his problem with it is that he doesn't feel that they deserve the credit people are giving them and he wants to people to actually believe more in themselves and their own power in overcoming whatever they've been through. On the other hand, I can also so why this could be "annoying" as an artist. Many bands like this, especially in the heavier genres, becoming solely known for this and not for the music they've produced. While life is much more important than music, I can see why someone wouldn't want their band seem as more of a therapist than as a band.
10:58 AM on 12/03/13
MoshMerch
I'll Always Feel Like a Kid Inside
User Info.
I agree with the majority if what he had to say. I've seen kids give Merch guys I've been on tour with letters and envelopes containing razor blades (sometimes used) and talking about how they won't cut anymore. It's not that these people don't care, but no one in their right mind wants to open an envelope with the possibility of getting cut with some strangers used razors. Kids nowadays have taken everything to such an extreme, you can't blame him for sayin that. At the end of the day, they're just people and get freaked out by stuff like that just as you or I would.
11:05 AM on 12/03/13
OpenIntro
User Info.
It's not even about credit, it's about the fact that a lot of people are blind to the pandering and he is calling it out. I think he's talking more to the kids than he is to the bands that are doing it.
11:08 AM on 12/03/13
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
Agree with certain aspects and disagree with others. I'm not sure why he feels it has to be all or nothing. Say what you want to say when it feels right to you.
Pretty much this. Every band has an image and for him to say that the bands that spread "hope" are full of it because it's used as a marketing tool seems a little hypocritical. They themselves have a dark image and that is what they push their band as; it is what draws in certain fans and how they make their money.
11:08 AM on 12/03/13
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
Also, did no one else notice those insta names? Whether those specific ones are real or not, that was funny. I see so many of those types of names on insta everyday on band/band member photos.
11:09 AM on 12/03/13
ZacGinger
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've had this same mindset for a while now. It reallybdoes annoy me when people say a band saved their life. I'm glad to see somebody with the same mindset.
11:09 AM on 12/03/13
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He realizes that music can be a powerful catalyst in pulling someone back from the "ledge", right? I get that he says it's a "tool", but it's not about not giving yourself credit. What a terrible thing to say to your fans, especially the ones who truly feel that the band helped them along to recovery.

edit: also, why is it insincere of someone to name him their hero? ugh.
I dont know the band or this guy, but i think he's just trying to say that if a person was really going to kill him/herself and doesnt then that person 100% deserves the credit for not doing it, not anything else. I think what he's talking about is spot on, bands like of mice and men or whoever else have ton of fangirls and guys who say "you saved my life" constantly, do you really believe that or do you think many of them are taking something as serious as suicide and cheapening it to to some hyperbole in order to tell the band how much they like them? I think while some fans really do mean what they say, the growing trend on the internet and young people is to say stuff like this and the meaning is becoming lost.

Also, i loved this part "I see fans every day tweet at me and say that I’ve helped them, but then will see that same person rip someone else apart over their opinion of something, the bands they like or a certain musician they like etc." This happens all the time. I think this guy jsut got tired of hearing and seeing all this and said stuff in a very blunt way.
11:11 AM on 12/03/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I've had this same mindset for a while now. It reallybdoes annoy me when people say a band saved their life. I'm glad to see somebody with the same mindset.
Seems like a really odd thing to be annoyed at to me.
11:14 AM on 12/03/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I dont know the band or this guy, but i think he's just trying to say that if a person was really going to kill him/herself and doesnt then that person 100% deserves the credit for not doing it, not anything else. I think what he's talking about is spot on, bands like of mice and men or whoever else have ton of fangirls and guys who say "you saved my life" constantly, do you really believe that or do you think many of them are taking something as serious as suicide and cheapening it to to some hyperbole in order to tell the band how much they like them? I think while some fans really do mean what they say, the growing trend on the internet and young people is to say stuff like this and the meaning is becoming lost.

Also, i loved this part "I see fans every day tweet at me and say that I’ve helped them, but then will see that same person rip someone else apart over their opinion of something, the bands they like or a certain musician they like etc." This happens all the time. I think this guy jsut got tired of hearing and seeing all this and said stuff in a very blunt way.
Questioning someone's sincerity without knowing them is difficult, so I'll just ask the other obvious question: why does it matter? If they're choosing to express their love for a band in one way over another -- it's still just some fans expressing their love for music/a band/what it means to them.

Is that really ... REALLY something worth getting that upset over? Hyperbole or not, it seems like an odd cause to pick up. Even if he's right, rallying against the "music helped me crowd" is an odd bone to pick.
11:16 AM on 12/03/13
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Well, that's the first time I've heard someone bitch about that.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests