Username
Password
Hopeless Records News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Hopeless Records
Inside AP.net

The Countdown: Top 5 Hopeless Records Releases

Posted by: Drew Beringer (12/05/13)
Yesterday, Hopeless Records celebrated its 20th year of being a label. While many know Hopeless as a label that's released some of our users favorite albums of all time, it's also dedicated a lot of time, resources, and money to charity via Sub City, its nonprofit subsidiary. What's for certain is that Hopeless Records has been an integral part to this website, the scene, and many music fan's lives. Today, I'll be counting down my five favorite Hopeless Releases - feel free to add in your own lists as well. Here's to another 20 years!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 94
11:52 AM on 12/05/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
5) Take Action Tour Compilations
Note11 in all, the Take Action Tour Compilations have featured some great songs from a lot of great artists spanning all sorts of different genres. But what really makes it worthy is what the tour and compilation stand for - raising awareness of teen suicide and its efforts to prevent it. A worthy comp for a worthy cause.

4) Yellowcard - Southern Air (August 14, 2012)
NoteThe second release from Yellowcard since the band's return from hiatus is also the band's best release yet. Southern Air features the band taking cues from previous releases and building upon them, resulting in great tracks like "Here I Am Alive," "Always Summer," and the title track. It also has some of the most moving and emotional moments of the band's career, such as the heartbreaking "Ten." Overall, it's proof that Yellowcard is only getting better with age.

3) The Dangerous Summer - Reach for the Sun (May 9, 2009)
NoteWhile the band has continually improved with each release, no one can deny the impact The Dangerous Summer's debut album, Reach for the Sun, had on our scene. It's one of the most powerful and remarkable debuts to emerge in the past 5 years and one that has left its mark on many, many fans. The melodies are infectious and AJ Perdomo's lyrically delivery is memorable.

2) The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation (May 14, 2013)
NoteArguably the biggest band in the pop-punk scene today, The Wonder Years released a record earlier this year that proved the band was more than just pop-punk. The Greatest Generation has the band wearing all its influences on its sleeve, as Dan Campbell's words within the band's anthemic songs have never been grander (just check out "The Devil In My Bloodstream" if you need convincing). How special is The Greatest Generation? Just listen to the final album-spanning track, "I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral," and try to remove your jaw from the ground.

1) Thrice - Illusion of Safety (February 5, 2002)
NoteThis is the one that started my obsession with Hopeless Records - a 38 minute rip-roaring LP that combined my favorite aspects of punk, hardcore, and metal. Thrice would become a much more well-rounded and substantial band in the future, but Illusion of Safety still remains one of the greatest releases in our community. Dustin Kensrue's passionate mark and meaningful lyricism, the buzz-saw riffs from Kensrue and Teppei Teranishi, and the dynamic rhythm section of the Breckenridge brothers - Ed and Riley. It's a captivating release that makes you air-guitar in the moment and reflect on its message long after listening.
11:56 AM on 12/05/13
ThisIsSuchAPity
Give me younger us
User Info.
I found a bunch of the Take Action comps at Half Price Books for $3 each. That was a great day.
11:58 AM on 12/05/13
tacobell83200
Jesus Christ, did I fuck up?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great list. The Greatest Generation will probably end up being my AOTY.
11:58 AM on 12/05/13
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
I would change The Greatest Generation to Suburbia, but that's just me.
12:00 PM on 12/05/13
raptorz44
One Who Gets Away/NJ Success Story
User Info.
What are some of the 90s releases of Hopeless? The oldest I know of them existing is being in the locker of Spinner on Degrassi...
12:00 PM on 12/05/13
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
Great write up! I'm really hoping Driver Friendly can deliver a "scene changing" debut like TDS did.
12:01 PM on 12/05/13
nick_smizzle
@nick_smizzle
User Info.
1. All Time Low- So Wrong, It's Right
2. All Time Low- So Wrong, It's Right
3. All Time Low- So Wrong, It's Right
4. All Time Low- So Wrong, It's Right
5. All Time Low- So Wrong, It's Right
12:01 PM on 12/05/13
nick_smizzle
@nick_smizzle
User Info.
(your list has amazing stuff on it too)
12:04 PM on 12/05/13
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
That Thrice record is phenomenal.
12:06 PM on 12/05/13
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
User Info.
The best list.
12:10 PM on 12/05/13
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Surely Southern Air is in 1st position in my list.
12:15 PM on 12/05/13
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
The Possibility And The Promise (Amber Pacific)
12:22 PM on 12/05/13
Fourchordwonder
Love was a war worth fighting.
User Info.
The Possibility And The Promise (Amber Pacific)
Probably a top five Hopeless release for me as well.
12:27 PM on 12/05/13
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Dillinger Four's "Midwestern Songs..." and "Versus God" are my two personal favorite releases from this label, but Thrice is certainly up there too. And those Take Action Tour comps had some phenomenal tracks on them back in the day.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests